Page 1 of 2
Why does it seem like everybodys goal is to get a Les Paul? i feel as tho im missing somthing and i am slighlty stupid for it
'09er
Quote by aaciseric

I hate you too much to be able to answer this thread properly. You misleading swine.

Quote by HeavyReverb

you dont win. f^cking 09er

Quote by emad
Morello Wannabe
Post back and I'll temporary ban you.
its not a goal. atleast its not mine, especially to get a Gibson LP. You should get a guitar that feels/sounds/plays as good as possible, and for some people, that may just be a Gibson LP.
My cousin has an LP copy and it actually plays a little better than many epi's and Gibsons i've played. it just needs a pup swap and some soldering.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
I've met many people who hate them. I personally love Les Pauls, but I'm sure there are alot of different reasons. Some people it's because they're favourite guitarist plays them, some love the look, some love the feel, some love the sound, and some love a combination of the above (or some find an LP that fits their price range and go for it because that's the only decent guitar they can find at the price where they live). I love the feel and the tone myself. I love a deeper tone as well as the thicker necks as I have fairly large hands. I also like the fretboard radius as most Strats feel to flat to me (although I love listening to them).

EDIT: This is not to say the only two guitars are Strats and LP's. I'm just using a comparison between two of the more popular guitars out there. I have a Godin that plays beautifully, it just doesn't have the tone I'm looking for...yet.
Last edited by mattvl at Aug 2, 2009,
Your absolutely not stupid for not wanting a Les Paul. That's a thing about what you like and don't like, so if you don't like the Les Paul that's just your own opinion.

I personally think that the Les Paul is, as you say yourself, godly. I just bought one and i love it. I had an Epiphone Les Paul which i liked really much, but when you stand with a real Gibson it's a whole different feel. It sounds better, feels better and you feel awesome playing on one of them..
It's pretty much one of the most versatile guitars in existence. You know, since there's some brands made for shredding, other's for metal, others for jazz, others for blues, etc. This guitar is great for combining many of the different styles of playing and giving a great sound for all branches of music and style.

Now don't get me wrong, if you rather stick to one style of playing, stick to the brands that exploit that style. Les Pauls are just great if you play different kinds of styles.
Last edited by TheSound at Aug 2, 2009,
If it's any consolation, I hate Les Pauls. Sound great, but by god are they ugly.

P-Basses are where it's at
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

I want a Gibson but I know Tokai is a better make and they're half the price of Gibson so i stick with them, even though i would rather have a PRS than a Gibson.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
maybe cuz a lot of people like they way they feel and the tones they get from an LP
CHECK OUT MY BAND!
myspace.com/protestingmodernlife

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Ibanez RG320DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Digitech Metal Master
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Yamaha Acoustic
I'd rather a Hagstrom Swede over an LP, but that's just me.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
its just kind of iconic since most famous guitarists used, have used, or use something very similar to a LP. It also has a sort of classy look to it, so aesthetics are a big part of their popularity. I personally prefer strats, but thats more for playabilty than for sound, if i had a dream guitar it would feel like a strat and look and sound like a les paul
Quote by kurtebirdi
its just kind of iconic since most famous guitarists used, have used, or use something very similar to a LP. It also has a sort of classy look to it, so aesthetics are a big part of their popularity. I personally prefer strats, but thats more for playabilty than for sound, if i had a dream guitar it would feel like a strat and look and sound like a les paul

Les Paul with a Fender Strat neck? lol. That's pretty awesome though.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
I love Les Pauls they are just a beautiful guitar and the sound and feel is fantastic.
The only thing is an epiphone like mine needs a lil work on the switch but other than that its a great guitar.
Mine isn't. Mine'd be a 1951 "Broadcaster" tele, a 1963 Gibson ES-335 and a Warmoth telecaster with some added stuffs. They're just good guitars so a lot of people like them.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by Tokai09
Les Paul with a Fender Strat neck? lol. That's pretty awesome though.
A few people at the Warmoth forums have made them. One with a tele neck too. It looks pretty good.

Quote by necrosis1193
and a Warmoth telecaster with some added stuffs.
I was going to make a Warmoth LP, then I saw a damn fine Thinline body in their showcase section and grabbed that to make my second Warmoth Tele. I don't know what it is about Teles made from Warmoth parts, they're just... Fender really can't compete. Oddly, I'm not too fussed about a Warmoth Strat, but for Teles it has to be Warmoth all the way.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Aug 2, 2009,
Quote by MrFlibble
A few people at the Warmoth forums have made them. One with a tele neck too. It looks pretty good.

I was going to make a Warmoth LP, then I saw a damn fine Thinline body in their showcase section and grabbed that to make my second Warmoth Tele. I don't know what it is about Teles made from Warmoth parts, they're just... Fender really can't compete. Oddly, I'm not too fussed about a Warmoth Strat, but for Teles it has to be Warmoth all the way.

Your Tele looks great too by the way!

On a side note I get somewhat amused when someone compares their lower end guitar with a higher end version from the same manufacturer. Tokai's rep was built on the Japanese models which apparently do rival Gibson but I'd seriously question a 200 - 300 Chinese one could do the same as the Tokai 2000.00 models!
Moving on.....
I know this will make me sound like a hypocrite, but...

*looks at TS's join date*

*walks out of topic*

As for myself, I'm not a huge fan of the Gibson Les Paul. If I were to buy an expensive Les-Paul style guitar, it'd probably be a Grestch Duo Jet.
Last edited by TheLetheProject at Aug 2, 2009,
I'd get a guitar with an Les Paul shape

But I found out that I hate Gibson/Epi Les Paul necks.

A more "Godly" instrument IMO would probably be a JEM or a Gibson Moderne or Corvus.
A les paul has it's own sound that can be associated with the likes of Duane Allman, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Michael Bloomfield, etc. etc. etc. Some people like that and to them a good sounding les paul is the holy grail of tone, because a lot of people consider the tones of Jimmy Page, Clapton, etc. etc. holy grails of tone.

I certainly like Jimmy Page's tone very much.
I like the shape, and I don't care if it's Epiphone or Gibson, even Warmoth or something like it. Even if it's cheap (or especially) but sounds good and plays well, I don't care about the name on the headstock. But I love LPs.
Quote by druggietoad2k5
If it's any consolation, I hate Les Pauls. Sound great, but by god are they ugly.

P-Basses are where it's at

Youre comparing an LP to a..bass?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Les paul's look cool but they're too heavy for me (sound wise), I tried one and couldn't get the good nasally sound I use. Now I don't want one which is awesome cause they're way over priced. I try to stay away from Mahogany guitars, but it think Korina sounds awesome.
Quote by TheWEBBY
Les paul's look cool but they're too heavy for me (sound wise), I tried one and couldn't get the good nasally sound I use. Now I don't want one which is awesome cause they're way over priced. I try to stay away from Mahogany guitars, but it think Korina sounds awesome.
...what?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIArmP6HcZk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wewu45XSb00 (skip to about 4:15)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QgDdCZYwJU

All kinds of nasal tones
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 2, 2009,
I hate Les Pauls, because a lot of people assume they're amazing and they're a conformity guitar a lot of times. The body shape and tone are pretty great, but I hate people's attitudes towards them.
Gibson's and Fender feel like the "Old Man's" guitar to me. I have never been a fan of either and think those old styles should disappear(IMO).............I mean look at what Gibson is putting out lately. The Zoot Suit? I mean come on! That is one nasty ass looking guitar. I'll stick to my JS1000 and other superstrats Thank you.

I will never own a Gibson! (Yes I have played a few of them) Or
A Fender
I don't like LPs. When I started I chose between a strat and an LP and went with the strat based on how it felt. The LP felt like a 2x4 strapped to you and I didn't like the fret board as much. They do sound nice though.
I don't mind Les Pauls, they're decent in terms of shape, but I'd prefer a thinner neck.

My teacher is a Gibson/Les Paul wh*re though.
there isnt one thing that I don't like about Gibson LP's. They are the sexiest.
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Quote by al112987
the js1000 looks like a spaceship to me

It does look like a spaceship....I think. I just can't get into the older styles. To me they feel like crap(Can we say baseball bat's attached to a guitar?). Now I know I like Ibanez's for the speed, feel, the style...ect. I mostly play metal type stuff but I can get any tone I want with my JS1000. There is not a style of music I can't cover with the JS. Doesent matter if it's Jazz, Country, Metal (Not Black/Death Metal) or just Rock. I dunno LP's just don't do it for me. Although I have seen LP's with OFR's lately in Musician's Friend. I think the stoptail bar and sound is what turns me off. Too many people rocking LP's these days.
I would enter a baby eating contest and win for A Heritage Cherry Sunburst Standard and an Ebony Axcess..

One day at Guitar center, they had the shiny, brand spanking new 2008 Standards on the FLOOR.....not behind the counter, not waaaaaay up on the shelf, on the floor, all aligned.

I picked up a heritage Cherry sunburst, and played for a good 50 minutes, I'm not even that good a player, but I was doin things on it I never thought I could do. They also had an Axcess behind a glass case in the sound proof room, plugged that in a Mesa Dual rec, I came 4 times, not a single retractory period........it was the best trip to guitar Center so far.

Day I graduate highschool.....I will be the proud owner of a 2008 Heritage Cherry Standard, then I can die, on stage of a ruptured perenial abscess a happy man
I love guitars. I would like to have one of every decent guitar. I love my Les Paul and I think it is a beautifully made guitar with great sound and feel. Why do so many people hate certain brands? Seems like a bunch of immature childish attitudes. I'm sure I would like any guitar by any brand that was well made and looked cool and sounded good. No snobbery here.
Quote by danohat
I love guitars. I would like to have one of every decent guitar. I love my Les Paul and I think it is a beautifully made guitar with great sound and feel. Why do so many people hate certain brands? Seems like a bunch of immature childish attitudes. I'm sure I would like any guitar by any brand that was well made and looked cool and sounded good. No snobbery here.

Go play either an Ibanez or a Jackson and you'll see the light
I've been playing a long time. I've played a lot of guitars. It's not a competition. It should be like a fraternity of people who love music and guitars. Argueing over other people's preferences accomplishes nothing. I was looking into buying a Jackson just because I liked they way it looked and wanted something more modern to add to my collection. And I don't even like metal. But I can appreciate any good music if it's good, regardless of genre. I'm going to buy an Ibanez also.
Quote by ProtoMetalHead

you don't have a clue
I agree with danohat
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Quote by ProtoMetalHead

I haven't played a Jackson, but I played my friend's RG today. It was pretty nice. Sounded pretty good, played pretty good, looked pretty good. It was the one for like $250.

Edit: Oh wait, you were saying that Ibanez and Jackson > Fender and Gibson because Fender and Gibson are "old man's guitars". In that case, get out of here.
Last edited by Alex Vik at Aug 2, 2009,
Quote by ProtoMetalHead
Gibson's and Fender feel like the "Old Man's" guitar to me. I have never been a fan of either and think those old styles should disappear(IMO).............I mean look at what Gibson is putting out lately. The Zoot Suit? I mean come on! That is one nasty ass looking guitar. I'll stick to my JS1000 and other superstrats Thank you.

I will never own a Gibson! (Yes I have played a few of them) Or
A Fender
You're a dick, don't bother pos-
Quote by ProtoMetalHead
-ting again. FFS. To reiterate: you're a dick.

For the record, I've tried Ibanez and Jackson guitars before. Every Ibanez has been made to an appallingly low standard, even the so-called 'high end' ones, and their necks are so terrible I can't get more than halfway through a single song without having to stop because of the literally crippling pain their necks cause. Jackson are kind of average, Fender put more love into their own brand now anyway so you're better off getting a Fender and modding it than getting a Jackson. Not that it matters since in my experience, Kramer and ESP beat the **** out of any super Strats that Fender/Jackson have ever put out anyway.

The thing is, I can tolerate if someone simply doesn't like XYZ guitar and does like ABC guitar, regardless of what my opinions on the guitars might be. But for some reason people who are exclusively or predominantly metal players, especially shredders, seem to make it their mission to actively slag off and lay into Fender, Gibson, Gretsch, etc while then proclaiming their brand of choice to be made by Jesus.
**** that. You like one guitar more than another? Fine, great, we all have guitars we prefer. But don't be a dick about it and say they should stop making whatever guitar it is or that someone simply must play your beloved guitar to become a blessed chosen one.

Then you completely contradict yourself by saying you think the old styles should go but the new guitar that's not been done before is terrible and they shouldn't have bothered trying! So they can't try making new guitars, they shouldn't make the older models, what should they do, cease all production and wait to be bought out by Dean?

You know what, just for the crack of it, I'll say right now I think JS1000's look ****-ugly, I've never played or seen an Ibanez super-Strat that's been worth a damn, and Joe Satriani is a pretentious prick on par with Bono in the obnoxious **** race. I think your parents shouldn't have bothered making you, and if you would blow me, you too will see the light.

The joke of it all is I like metal and I like super-Strats and I don't think Gibson LPs are necessarily the best guitars. I just also don't like pricks with a superiority complex making outlandish and extremist claims and remarks who are unable to express their opinion in a rational and reasonable manner.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by danohat
I've been playing a long time. I've played a lot of guitars. It's not a competition. It should be like a fraternity of people who love music and guitars. Argueing over other people's preferences accomplishes nothing. I was looking into buying a Jackson just because I liked they way it looked and wanted something more modern to add to my collection. And I don't even like metal. But I can appreciate any good music if it's good, regardless of genre. I'm going to buy an Ibanez also.

All I'm saying is check out an Ibanez or Jackson before making any purchase's. I have been around the block also when it comes to guitar. You wouldn't know it from my posts on this site. I'm the silent type for the most part (Until recently that is). Try all Guitars that appeal to you. There is no right/wrong answer. I simply suggest Ibanez/Jackson/PRS because I own a few of them and have played everything on the block. I'm kinda like the well rounded ***** on the street corner. I have played many of these guitars and I always turn back to Ibanez and Jackson. PRS Guitars are nice if you have the money. Anyways just a suggestion.
Quote by MrFlibble
You're a dick, don't bother pos-
-ting again. FFS. To reiterate: you're a dick.

For the record, I've tried Ibanez and Jackson guitars before. Every Ibanez has been made to an appallingly low standard, even the so-called 'high end' ones, and their necks are so terrible I can't get more than halfway through a single song without having to stop because of the literally crippling pain their necks cause. Jackson are kind of average, Fender put more love into their own brand now anyway so you're better off getting a Fender and modding it than getting a Jackson. Not that it matters since in my experience, Kramer and ESP beat the **** out of any super Strats that Fender/Jackson have ever put out anyway.

The thing is, I can tolerate if someone simply doesn't like XYZ guitar and does like ABC guitar, regardless of what my opinions on the guitars might be. But for some reason people who are exclusively or predominantly metal players, especially shredders, seem to make it their mission to actively slag off and lay into Fender, Gibson, Gretsch, etc while then proclaiming their brand of choice to be made by Jesus.
**** that. You like one guitar more than another? Fine, great, we all have guitars we prefer. But don't be a dick about it and say they should stop making whatever guitar it is or that someone simply must play your beloved guitar to become a blessed chosen one.

Then you completely contradict yourself by saying you think the old styles should go but the new guitar that's not been done before is terrible and they shouldn't have bothered trying! So they can't try making new guitars, they shouldn't make the older models, what should they do, cease all production and wait to be bought out by Dean?

You know what, just for the crack of it, I'll say right now I think JS1000's look ****-ugly, I've never played or seen an Ibanez super-Strat that's been worth a damn, and Joe Satriani is a pretentious prick on par with Bono in the obnoxious **** race. I think your parents shouldn't have bothered making you, and if you would blow me, you too will see the light.

The joke of it all is I like metal and I like super-Strats and I don't think Gibson LPs are necessarily the best guitars. I just also don't like pricks with a superiority complex making outlandish and extremist claims and remarks who are unable to express their opinion in a rational and reasonable manner.

Wow....someone has too much time on their hands. It's OK if you don't like what I say. I don't care either way. I was commenting on my experiences. I have had my fair share of time with Gibson/Fender. I think they suck! Thats IMO. If you don't like it then so what. I was simply telling my side. If you like ESP and Kramers that's cool, just don't hate on me for recommending a Ibanez or a Jackson.

Was it the fact that I like/play METAL and Ibanez that got your panties in a riffle? Chill out man. Damn this is a guitar site and everyone has their own views on things. I don't like Gibson/Fender because it's an old ass style. Not that there 's anything wrong with that.

Wow, Blow U? I think not! Bono? WTF? This is exactly why I dislike the internet, too many pricks so full of their own ego it's not even funny. Anyways sounds like I made a LP/Strat ***** upset.

Jesus? Whatever man nobody was bringing that crap into a guitar topic. Enjoy your place on the douche bag totem pole.
Page 1 of 2