What exactly is this?

I asked yesterday about some bad fizz that i was having, not making my amp unplayable, but just more than normal fizz, and sevberal people said, "tubes are dead"

BUT, that could'nt be because they are brand new, were installed properly, and have less than 5 hrs playtime so, a few people then said try the tap test.

im not entirely sure what this is, but from one article i read, it said tap your preamps to see if i hear micro-phonic noise, but i dont know what to do after that.

worst case, i have 2 or 3 spare 12AX7 groove & sovtek tubes i can use to swap out for my newly installed JJ's

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Basically, it is lightly tapping on the side of the tube (chop stick seems to be preferred) and listening to the sound from the speaker. It should make a noise, but if it rings like a bell, then it is microphonic.
PRS SAS or Gibson LP Standard+
Teese WOF->Analogman Sunlion->Dr. Scientist Elements->Foxrox Aquavibe->Strymon Timeline->Eventide Space
Mesa RoadKing II and 2 Vox AC15s run in stereo
ok, well this helps me in knowing what to do, but what should be done if it DOES or DOESNT make a bell noise?

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
microphonic = change
normal = don't
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by mikeyElite
microphonic = change
normal = don't

thanks for breaking it down to a simplistic yes or no

so normal ones with just make a fuzzy noise and ones that need changing will chime like a bell

hmm, if one of them is microphonic, will the bell chime be very audible?

and i'll test this with standby OFF and speaker cab hooked up correct?

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Yes, test it with everything running and plugged in as usual.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.