So I have a friend who has decided she wants to play guitar, and has never picked up a guitar before in her life.
She wants to know what guitar she should get since she is a beginner. I told her she should get an electric, like a squier strat to learn on. She has quiet small hands, so I told her the electric guitar will be easier since it has a thinner neck, and its easier to move your fingers up and down the strings/frets. Her friend said to learn on an accoustic, with no reasons to back up learning on an accoustic.
Which do you guys think is easier to learn on, accoustic or electric?
Electric is easier, acoustic will help her later.

Quote by CoreysMonster

I still like cho0onger more than the 2 of you

Quote by OneHappyCamper
joke's on you, i actually fuck my cat
I think acoustic because it's a little harder and she'll build up finger strength faster. That way she will improve a little quicker.

I started on an acoustic and I'm glad I did.
it's better to learn on an acoustic because it will make playing the electric easier. But, if she cannot play it properly because her hands are too small (which was the case of my firend) electric would be better.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
acoustic because its harder and once you get good at it and switch over to electric you will rape faces!!!!!

but seriously acoustic
This shit is Pie.
Black Metal Pie.
It talks about winter.
Join if you like, or kindly leave.
Or else you die.

i like shooping
shoop da wooping
and chargin mah lazorz
not necessarily in that order
I think that acoustics are better for starting up, than an electric guitar. They are better to learn chords on which is the best place to start when learning guitar. Also it gives a better feel of what a guitar sounds like, because of the sound that an acoustic guitar makes but an electric needs an amp to give. And electric guitars sound a bit different on different amps.
So i would say acoustic first, electric a little later..
Either a cheap baby size acoustic, or as you said, a squier pack. If you play guitar, then she should trust you, and offer to teach her some things and guide her through it, it's alot more enjoyable when someone points you in the right direction.

And just say, if you learn on electric, you can then branch to acoustic, and you stand more of a chance of not giving up learning it
most girls i know prefer acoustic, because they just want to strum some chords and sing along.
but maybe she wants to do some crazy lead parts.

it's really up to her. if she wants an electric and gets an acoustic, she won't be as motivated to play.
I have been playing guitar since 2003, and told her to get the squire pack, since it comes with a crazy amount of stuff thats good to have when starting out, a guitar, a practice amp, a few picks, a tuner, all that stuff. She went out and didn't listen to me and got an accoustic, it's already out of tune and she doesn't have a tuner, and she can't figure out th concept of chords..
what about a ukelele (dont know the spelling) They are super small and sound awsome haha. but staying on topic, id go for electric. Its a bit more forgiving and it might allow her to feel better instead of getting frustrated with the acoustic. i mean i started with an electric too and it didnt take long for me to get used to my acoustic when i bought it.
Gear:
Ibanez RG2ex2
mega distortion md-2
Metal Muff
Marshall MG microstack
Line 6 spyder hd75 halfstack
Sonic Stomp
Schecter Damien 6
if she starst on an acoustic she wont have to worry about all the knobs and settings on the amp until after she has learned to play fairly well. and she wont be able to cheat when practicing using high gain/distortion.

i cant believe im the first to ask: is she hot?
RIP George Carlin (1937-2008)
Acoustic is only better in the sense that it will build your finger strength. The action on cheap acoustics is normally really high aswell, and it isn't really that easy to fix, so that can hinder your playing. I'd say get an acoustic, after she's learned all the basics, which would be easier on an electric. When you first start out, you don't want to be making it too hard on yourself, or your just not gonna enjoy it, which kinda defeats the purpse of it all. Or, she could get an acoustic right away, get it all properly set up so that the action's to a decent hieght and all that, if she's gonna play mainly acoustic stuff.

EDIT: To the guy above me, you could just tell her that tone is not important in the first few stages and all that, which is just isn't.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Last edited by Lil Macker at Aug 2, 2009,
Quote by leprechauner57
I have been playing guitar since 2003, and told her to get the squire pack, since it comes with a crazy amount of stuff thats good to have when starting out, a guitar, a practice amp, a few picks, a tuner, all that stuff. She went out and didn't listen to me and got an accoustic, it's already out of tune and she doesn't have a tuner, and she can't figure out th concept of chords..

teach her
Quote by Babbs
it's really up to her. if she wants an electric and gets an acoustic, she won't be as motivated to play.

What he said. Electric will be easier at the start, acoustic will be harder but will build up finger strength faster. In either case, if she doesn't choose the one that is more enjoyable to her she'll progress more slowly, if at all. Now if she has ridiculously small, weak fingers I would say electric since she has to be able to properly grip the neck. Other than that give her some exposure to both and ask her which one she would like to learn how to play more.

EDIT: Wait, she already got an acoustic? This is useless then.
Last edited by mattvl at Aug 2, 2009,
Quote by Odlid
teach her

I tried, I spent a whole day trying to teach her chords, it took the whole day for her to learn the G chord...
Acoustic all the way, just don't start with a stupid nylon stringed guitar like me (was an expensive handmade Spanish guitar, from spain duh... . The thing really did cost me a freagin fortune) anyways, go immediately for steel string, her fingers will get tougher, it will improve finger strength immediately and It's cheaper for her, since she doesn't have to buy an amp. After she's got the basics, go electric. But seriously, I think as a guitar player, you have to have played at least acoustic and electric. It will make your horizon broader instead of concentrating on teH epIc sHr3dz.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Gold Top
Vox VT30
Quote by leprechauner57
haha, no..

...that sucks. i guess no extra credit lesson homework assignments then ;-)

/inuendo
RIP George Carlin (1937-2008)
Quote by leprechauner57
I tried, I spent a whole day trying to teach her chords, it took the whole day for her to learn the G chord...

That's probably one of the hardest chords for a beginner you know, with the basically huge stretch. Maybe an E chord, or A chord is easiest.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
i say, let her try out both acoustic and electric just to see what she feels most comfortable playing before she decideds to buy a guitar....also, seen as its her first one, just let her buy a cheap new one or second hand one to try and learn on. this way, if she decideds that guitar isnt for her, not much money is lost.

^ E, A and D all the way...the easiest chords to start with and good for starting to learn chord progression with as well.
Quote by stroker93
That is the best deal I have EVER seen Loooza

^ yes, the best deal he has ever seen came from me!!! (Take it as you want!!! )

I LOVE THE VAMP LESTAT AND GUITARGUY01!!!
Last edited by *Loooza_LotZ!* at Aug 2, 2009,
i started on electric....whether thats a pro or con for electric i dont know
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Quote by imdeth
I'd go for electric. Also, show her to correct way to finger ifyanowatimsayin.

Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
I have teeny tiny hands, and I learnt on acoustic. Much, much more useful to learn on, helps your fingers and hands a LOT and it's easy to transition to electric from there. So, yeah. Go for acoustic. Electric may be "comfier" to play but acoustic will be more helpful from a discipline point of view.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Quote by imdeth

you know for guitarists it's probably a fun joke... but.. I once told a girl that guitarists finger better, she then told me "why would I wanna get fingered when I can get dick?"
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
Quote by imdeth

Yes, make sure she plays the full powerchord with the index, ring, and pinky...as opposed to just index and pinky.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by HomelessDood
acoustic because its harder and once you get good at it and switch over to electric you will rape faces!!!!!

but seriously acoustic

this is actually very true. i started on an acoustic just cause that's what my dad bought me. it was hard n all but after i became comfy with it i bought a ****ty electric and noticed how much easier it was to play on that than the acoustic. and that was on a ****TY electric. imagine when when i bought the LP custom. that's right...faces melted
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----