Hi guys,

I'm not sure if this is the right section, but I have a question about copyright.

Let say I have a site with video guitar lessons. There's no doubt that I can post lessons about general guitar techniques, but can I post lessons about how to play certain songs? I'm not sure whether I need the songs rights or not.

Some people told me yes, but other told no because the videos would be for educational purposes and I will not play the songs live to make money. Also I would just show how I think the songs are played (learned by ear) without official tabs.

So, what's the truth? Do I need the rights or not?
No, you shouldn't need the rights. And if you do, the most anybody's gonna do is ask you to take your video down.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Short answer - to use *any* copyrighted material, you need to secure the rights for it. Whether you make money or not is irrelevant.

The educational exceptions generally only apply for private study - not for lessons where you teach others.

For more, see the copyright thread.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1053221

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.