...just have a look at these videos.

http://vimeo.com/5732745
http://vimeo.com/5822555
http://vimeo.com/5823223

Never forget that the guitar is not the key to your being able to improvise, your mind is...and if you take the time to look you'll probably find there's more music in there than you realised.

[EDIT]Looks like they're going to post an extended version of that pentatonic video in a few days.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Aug 2, 2009,
or learn natural major/minor as the have more notes to play with and sound better.

Edit: **** this guy is awesome
Last edited by stephen_rettie at Aug 2, 2009,

Well actually the first vid was already in the pit but the other two were good
To use pentatonics in addition to other scales or pitch sets is good because leaving out notes and using wide intervals yields a sound unique to itself. That being said the anhemitonic minor pentatonic scale used by countless musicians, is incredibly overdone and to use it strictly, like many people do, only proves that you don't know how to use the more dissonant and complex scale degrees.
Quote by pwninator123
EPIC LOLZ FROM THE LEFTY!!!!!!

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

When I brought up this page, so much fail dumped out of my computer screen and all over my hands, severely damaging my ability as a musician.
I'm proud to say I've never visited the pit
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

What constitutes a strict use of a scale?

Surely it all depends on the context... although I would say that if someone can't use pentatonics to create interest when improvising, then they should forget about using other scales until they can. I reckon they can be constricting, you can want greater possibilities, but only if you already know what you want to play. Hmmm, how vague.

+1 On the proud to never have visited the pit thing.
Quote by steven seagull
...just have a look at these videos.

http://vimeo.com/5732745
http://vimeo.com/5822555
http://vimeo.com/5823223

Never forget that the guitar is not the key to your being able to improvise, your mind is...and if you take the time to look you'll probably find there's more music in there than you realised.

[EDIT]Looks like they're going to post an extended version of that pentatonic video in a few days.

Nice post man.
shred is gaudy music
The first one is really good because you've got a whole audience, some of whom won't even be musicians....yet they're all able to follow the intervals of the pentatonic scale simply based on a bloke jumping around. If they can do it on the spot then surely it's no problem for any guitarist to memorise the sound of those intervals and remember them on the guitar, after all we use them all the time, and Bobby McFerrin is even jumping around in a pattern that actually mirrors the pentatonic scale along a single string on the guitar.

I think what happens to a lot of people is the guitar actually gets in the way, they focus entirely on the instrument expecting it to make the music for them and forget about the part they themselves have to play. That video is just a little reminder that the most important part of the equation is the guitarist, not the guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Very interesting stuff!
A samurai once asked Zen Master Hakuin where he would go after he died. Hakuin answered 'How am I supposed to know?'
'How do you not know? You're a Zen master!' exclaimed the samurai.
'Yes, but not a dead one,' Hakuin answered.
Bobby McFerrin is amazing. For the record, though, the first video is the only one based off of the pentatonic scale.
bobby mc ferrin, didn't he do "don't worry, be happy?" regardless, awesome video and i like how he showed that music is a universal language. even the people in the audience who had no idea about music theory or ideology were singing along.
why the **** are pent. scales boring?
in fact i only play pentatonics because they sound better
*insert inb4 slash,kerry king or Zakk Wylde joke here*
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by Dawnwalker
why the **** are pent. scales boring?
in fact i only play pentatonics because they sound better
*insert inb4 slash,kerry king or Zakk Wylde joke here*

Your opinion.
they definetlely have the most "feel" to them anyway
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by turtlewax

How do you work that one out?
Quote by turtlewax

'Feel' is inside the listener, not the scale.
I don't get it?

How does the video correlate with the improvisation quality of the pentatonic scale?

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Aug 5, 2009,
^^ I thought that too. I don't see what it has to do with improvising or to show that pentatonics aren't boring.
I posted the first one in Chat a week ago. It's very interesting, Bobby McFerrin is a clever guy.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane