Ok...So this will probably sound crazy but...I really really want to learn to play beast and the harlot by A7X but i have never played anything this hard...Nothing with a riff or a solo like this...So this is my question.If i learn to play this song note for note slowly and clearly and slowly speed up if i have the notes memorized will I one day be able to play it full speed? Cuz its always easier to play a song when you know it like the back of your hand...And if the answer is yes...What would allow me to be that fast in time and not right at this moment? Would my hands learn to get faster? Also have any tips for this song...A song like this is kinda new to me but i really want a challenge! Thank you : D
you can learn to get faster by practice. your hands and fingers will get up to speed. it's just a lot of practice. just jeep practicing and repeating and you will get it.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Ok thanks man...Would you say this is a challenging song if played correctly? Ive been wanting something I can feel proud of but for some reason Im just never happy with the hard songs i learn...So i pretty much just practice it day and night slowly and speed up when I can play the notes clearly?
yeah, its a pretty difficult song for a lot of people. i'm still having a few troubles playing it up to speed some times. it's tricky. all it is is practice. just take your time and dont get frusturated. if you have Guitar Pro, you can slow down the tempo so you can play to that and slowly spped up.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Beast and the Harlot is actually the song that got me interested in learning the faster, more challenging songs. It isn't really as difficult as it seems, and you will quickly be able to get it up to speed.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
the only way to learn anything is to break it down into smaller phrases and learn each phrase slowly building up speed as you go, and assemmbling the song with each new phrase.

the more you play a song the more you develop a "finger memory" for that piece, where you instinctively know where to fret and what rythmic pattern to apply.
Get a metronome and practice with it, that is the fastest way to learn fast stuff. At least I think so.

And it will help your timing a LOT.
Quote by EndTheRapture51

some dodgy girl tried to get off with me, I ran through the mosh pit to get away, she followed and got punched in the face
Ok sweet! Yeah i have guitar pro so ill just start at like 40 and work my way up to 100.Thanks guys!
Keep in mind that tabs vary greatly in quality. I often look for a video of the song played live so I can see the basic hand position for the parts that I have trouble with.

EDIT: and NOTHING beats a good guitar teacher.
Last edited by BobDetroit at Aug 2, 2009,
Ok well...I have another question. When playing the riff for beast and the harlot the one where you start at 15 on d dtring and 14 on g string and continue with those 3 riffs...Is that sweep picking or can you play it as a chord just individually pick the strings? Ugh im start to doubt myself on the solo a little though...No worries ill get it...Thanks!
Quote by blasian
Ok well...I have another question. When playing the riff for beast and the harlot the one where you start at 15 on d dtring and 14 on g string and continue with those 3 riffs...Is that sweep picking or can you play it as a chord just individually pick the strings? Ugh im start to doubt myself on the solo a little though...No worries ill get it...Thanks!

its kinda like a sweep, but its not exactly. i play them as sweeps. just play how you feel comfortable with it, whether it be sweeping or individual picking. i would suggest learning them like sweeping.
Quote by pedromiles101
Ok yeah i'll learn them as sweeping.Pretty much what im doing with this song is picking something very hard for me to play and then im gonna be picking up new skills like faster alt.picking,string skipping,sweeping...And what not...Its the best way for me to personally learn new things.Alright I'll learn it as a sweep.Thank you. : )