Hi everyone.

I'm currently trying to tab out some fingerstyle songs on Guitar Pro 5. Things are going fine, and the program is generally very easy to use, but I've hit a road-block. I'm to a point in the song where the bass notes are palm-muted and straight quarter notes, while the melody is played open. Guitar Pro won't let me put both in--it wants me to do everything as palm-muted quarter notes; that is, I can't have it play an open 8th note on the first string and a palm-muted quarter note on the sixth string at the same time.

Any idea what the solution is?

[Edit] Also, I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this thread. If not, please move it.
Last edited by cc132 at Aug 2, 2009,
do we not have a 'Guitar Pro only' thread yet?

DIEDIT: sorry i couldn't answer your question its just 1/5th of threads today have been GP5 related.
Last edited by DieGarbageMan at Aug 2, 2009,
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
It's called a tie-in
There's a special sex move I do called the Charizard.
It's where you light the girls pubes, then put it out with your cum and run around the room flapping your arms screaming, "You don't have enough badges to train me!"
Quote by King Twili
It's called a tie-in

Thank you, I'll Google this.
You can. Even if you see the Pm---| under the note, it's only applied to the note you selected. And to get different note durations, use tied notes or whatever they're called.

What I've seen in some tabs to avoid confusion is that some people put a dead note above the note thats muted, just to show which one is muted.

Edit: Or what DB said.

to self.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Last edited by entity0009 at Aug 2, 2009,
Best way is to use the edit voice buttons- these are three buttons, under the play button, which look like two bars, one on top of the other. If you click on the first one with the blocked upper bar, you're editing leads. Click on the one next to it, you edit the bass. The button next to that, when selected, grays out the inactive line, so you don't confuse yourself when editing.
Edit --> Voices

Edit: Beaten to it >.<
Quote by R. Shackleford.
Glad to see the sex king getting some action I think it might be time for me to pull him out again tonight and take him for a spin around the rift.
Best way is to use the edit voice buttons- these are three buttons, under the play button, which look like two bars, one on top of the other. If you click on the first one with the blocked upper bar, you're editing leads. Click on the one next to it, you edit the bass.

do this.
I dunno, try tying them?
Have only eight-notes and tie one into a quarter note.
The hotkey is L.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Best way is to use the edit voice buttons- these are three buttons, under the play button, which look like two bars, one on top of the other. If you click on the first one with the blocked upper bar, you're editing leads. Click on the one next to it, you edit the bass.

Gentlemen, I think we have a winner. I'm at work right now, so I'll have to try this when I get home, but it makes perfect sense. Thanks.
Quote by cc132
I checked and did not see one.

Don't worry... The searchbar is usually quite useless.
Hooray! Another fingerstyle guitar player!

What I do when it come to muting the bass notes is I put the 'ghost note' bracket around it (the shortcut key is "o"). It quiets that individual note and lets the other note ring at regular volume. So it's essentially palm muting it.

For separating the bass and melody, what you need to do learn how to use the 'tie note' function. For instance: If the melody note is a 16th note but the bass note is an 8th, you would set both to be 16th notes and when you write the next melody note (assuming it comes directly after the last 16th note) for the bass you would just press 'tie note' (or press the 'L' Key) where you would be writing the next bass note. Then the bass note will right for the length of two 16th notes, or one 8th note, while the two melody notes play.

I hope that makes sense, I'm not the best at explanations. :P:

What are you trying to tab out? I have a large collection of my own fingerstyle transcriptions, I may have just what your looking for.
My Music Videos

Guitars:
Breedlove Revival Series OM
Crosby Fingerstyle Model
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Fender Stratocaster (American)
Fender Nashville Deluxe Tele
There's also the 'Let Ring' (select the note you want and press the 'I' key) option which sustains the note on the string until it either stops, or the string is played again.
Quote by highwaysalmon
Hooray! Another fingerstyle guitar player!

What I do when it come to muting the bass notes is I put the 'ghost note' bracket around it (the shortcut key is "o"). It quiets that individual note and lets the other note ring at regular volume. So it's essentially palm muting it.

For separating the bass and melody, what you need to do learn how to use the 'tie note' function. For instance: If the melody note is a 16th note but the bass note is an 8th, you would set both to be 16th notes and when you write the next melody note (assuming it comes directly after the last 16th note) for the bass you would just press 'tie note' (or press the 'L' Key) where you would be writing the next bass note. Then the bass note will right for the length of two 16th notes, or one 8th note, while the two melody notes play.

I hope that makes sense, I'm not the best at explanations. :P:

What are you trying to tab out? I have a large collection of my own fingerstyle transcriptions, I may have just what your looking for.

"Wig in a Box" from the Hedwig and the Angry Inch soundtrack.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Honestly guys... tie note function? When doing a lead and bass section, using tie notes just makes the stave look very messy and garbled.

Hell, it gets the job done
🙈 🙉 🙊