I know this is probably a stupid question but idea of racks is fairly new to me. Just a very quick and simple question: how would you connect a multi fx rack (like a tc electronics g major) into your amp. Would be through the fx loop?

The reason why is because I just saw a nice offer on one. Yes, I have a fender frontman 15 but I was maybe planning on getting a new amp in the near future.

If I can only connect it with a fx loop, I won't get it because I'm not sure if I will get a new amp.

Oh and if you're wondering why if I'm deciding to get a new amp or not, its just money issues
Yeah, you can run it in the loop
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Mesa Boogie Single rectifier
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
It doesn't have to be through the effects loop. You would plug the guitar into the input, and the output of the rack unit into the input of the amp; or you could indeed send the effects send to the rack input and then rack output to effects return. Sometimes it's better to have some effects out the front and some in the loop, all depends on what you're trying to achieve sonically.

Basically rack units are just pedals but you generally program them by MIDI if you have them at the stage-side. There are rack units with optional footswitches too though of course, but I believe most if not all are MIDI controllable.

I don't have any rack units yet though so may well be a bit wrong myself; I just don't have the cash to build up a worthwhile rack yet
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
quick question- arent those TC electronics rack systems a preamp too?
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by conor1148
quick question- arent those TC electronics rack systems a preamp too?

I don't think so, would have to check their site/ask someone who has one but I think they're just a multi-effects unit with a few overdrive/distortion models on there. I think most people use them for their nice chorus and reverb though. And I imagine the delays can't be too bad considering how popular that unit is!
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
^ Yup!

If you just want delays, reverbs and maybe a bit of chorus, its best to get the tc electronics g sharp.

That's if you want a fx rack
Quote by Photograph
I know this is probably a stupid question but idea of racks is fairly new to me. Just a very quick and simple question: how would you connect a multi fx rack (like a tc electronics g major) into your amp. Would be through the fx loop?

The reason why is because I just saw a nice offer on one. Yes, I have a fender frontman 15 but I was maybe planning on getting a new amp in the near future.

If I can only connect it with a fx loop, I won't get it because I'm not sure if I will get a new amp.

Oh and if you're wondering why if I'm deciding to get a new amp or not, its just money issues

I THINK YOU CAN ONLY HOOK IT UP THROUGH THE EFFECTS LOOP, THERE IS A REASON FOR IT BUT I DON'T REMEMBER WHAT IT IS. SORRY.