So what is the general consensus on action? I prefer a higher action, which allows me to dig in alot more with my right hand, and eliminates pretty much all buzz.

Also, to those who play with both high and low actions, does it seem to make any difference in tone?
I like it a bit high. but not super high.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
big frets, low action

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Low as low as possible without buzz. No idea why, I just like it this way.
Cookie monster genocide my nation! HE MUST DIE MENS

Art is never finished it is only abandoned.

Real mitalhead don't give a f**k if it is Wensday or a dick in the a**
low as possible, with little buzz, just enough to get a bit of bite. My band plays a lot of fast riffs, so I just don't want to have to fight with my bass.
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
On the higher side of medium, but still at the point where it's comfortable to play.

Better playability and better tone.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Low as i dared to go without any more much buzz (Higher frets of the E string buzz a bit)

Ive heard that if you wanna get a nice boomy tone you should raise your action ... but ive never needed/tried it.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
Call it snobby but I think people should spend some face time with a playable upright before we start talking about action. In any case, I like high action with a near-straight neck. That way I can dig in and get that proper note bloom (and not that awful clank on the attack) while still getting some clank from my left hand. It's the best of both worlds - cutting Steve Harris clank without the lack of impact that low-action has.

I, still to this day, can never understand how people "need" or even prefer low/stupid low action.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
sometimes I have my action similar to what fitz has said (and I roll tone back)

but right now I've got my action "stupidly" low and I dig the crap out of my strings and get all sorts of frets and such. If my pickups were open faced I would constantly hear strings hitting it.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Medium to low. However, on my Pbass clone, there's really now option, just high to really high, lol.
Medium high, for slap, no buzz, quick playing.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I prefer low action because I don't like the boom sound as much. Gets too close too muddy. Unless my interpretation of what 'boom' means is different than what others have been saying.
Quote by thefitz
Call it snobby but I think people should spend some face time with a playable upright before we start talking about action. In any case, I like high action with a near-straight neck. That way I can dig in and get that proper note bloom (and not that awful clank on the attack) while still getting some clank from my left hand. It's the best of both worlds - cutting Steve Harris clank without the lack of impact that low-action has.

I, still to this day, can never understand how people "need" or even prefer low/stupid low action.

I know what you mean about uprights. My crappy student model has action that's about 1.5 inches high. It hurts to play...
I like me my low/stupid action.

Easier to play and a bit of buzz just adds balls to the equation. Although I think I could heighten the action on the Ibanez a little bit.
no sig for joo
I keep my DG strings as low as possible, the EA just a bit higher, and the B quite high.

it actually works pretty damn well.
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
I have it on medium usually, i like a bit of tension pressing down but not too little.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
my electrics are set as low as possible before any sort of buzzing. my upright is set a little higher for a bit more volume.
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
I personally like a good medium, so i can assault my strings. I just dont feel right playing softly.
I like around medium to low, my Ibanez has very low action and my Musicman has around medium action. I prefer the action on the MM but I do find things like tapping a bit more effort on the MM compared with the Ibby.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
last time I set up my bass, I set it to roughly the standard heights from the fender website, then raised it till there wasn't any fret buzz (the frets are a little worn I think, it's a well used bass).

I have mixed emotions about low action - ibanez style etc. sometimes it takes the effort out of playing and I'll play for ages; other times I feel it takes all the satifaction out of playing too. One factor is how complex the bassline is. I'd find playing rootnote 8th's with low action mindnumbing after one song, but with high action would probably go all night.
i used to play very low with a little buzz, but i realized when I'd go to guitar center and jsut play any bass that was set up with normal or high action, my fingers would grow tired very easily, and the buzz on my bass slowly drove me insane, so I heightened it up.

Plus I noticed when I raised my action I needed to raise my P-bass pickup a little for a better sound.
Try adding more delay.