so im filling in for a bassist tomorrow at a pretty big gig (supporting zebrahead some may have heard of them) and its my first ever gig to play at and im getting quite nervous

what are some of the pits tips to get over nerves?

Just walk around nude for the next 48 hours or so.
I want to work in revelations, not just spin silly tales for money.I want to fish as deep down as possible into my own subconscious in the belief that once that far down, everyone will understand because they are the same that far down.
everybody sucks at their first gig, so it's not like you have some huge standard to meet. definitely keep that in mind. don't use playing the bass as a crutch though, even though a lot of people don't pay attention to the bass on a recording, it's quite different live.

guess you could try some visualization or breathing exercises if it's really bad. nobody can give you confidence but you though.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous
I'm trying to cover one of my bedroom walls in semen. I'm about half way done.

Pics coming soon
Think about all your short comings, and how the crowd will laugh at you.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
i remember my first gig.
"one ... two.... onetwothreefour!!!....."

*awkward silence*
*cough*

well, i guess i misjudged that.
Hahahahahahahahahah hahahaha har har har
There's nothing you can really do about stage fright, but once you start playing your first couple of songs, you'll find that there is nothing better than being up on stage, under the lights, playing music.

I always get a little anxious before any show, but as soon as the music starts after the first song, nothing matters except playing the best I can.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by ChucklesMginty
But not too much.

What I like to do, is watch a ton of live videos. And be like 'I'm gonna be them, I'm a rock star.' Okay it sounds really cheesy, but it can really get you pumped up.

that could work

*puts on iron maiden somewhere back in time dvd*

Rip of all your bass strings as soon as you get on live, and then attempt to play.
Quote by travs2448

How many of you are vegan?
Hopefully none

Does anyone know any fun recipes?
Yeah a big juicy flank steak

What can be done with tofu?
Nothing it taste like crap

Is there such thing as vegan meat? Vegan sausages ect
WTF ARE YOU ON?
just enjoy it, its not as much pressure as you make it out to be, you know your stuff and you just have to unleash it

oh and bach's remedy works for nerves
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
There aren't really any I don't think to be honest, it's all about you. Just try and be happy in the knowledge that you'll be absolutely fine, they wouldn't have asked you to do it if you weren't up to it, so just stay focused. At the end of the day, although I play bass myself, you're going to get away with a few small slips as most people aren't going to be specifically listening to the bass, and once you get a minute or two into it you'll be completely fine
Quote by bodyheatseeker
That is simultaneously brilliant and obscene. I honestly don't know if I despise, or admire you.

Quote by Scutchington
If I had room, I would sig that entire post.

basschat.co.uk
first off: youre playing bass. chances are high that no one will really even hear you.

second: the more gigs you play, the less nervous you get. just dont think about the gig and act like its not important to help calm your nerves.

lastly: once you get playing and start having fun, youll stop being nervous. just go out, play your hardest, and have fun.
<--- Craig: Guy With Best Username Ever
Quote by Primus2112
\m/[-_-]\m/

lulz, best name ever.

Quote by herby190
TS, your username is really difficult to type, so I'm just going to refer to you as Craig from now on. Okay? Okay.
i played my 1st gig on friday best thing ive ever done and as long as you are confident once you hit the 1st note you wont give a sh*t anymore, just relax and chill before you go on and ull be fine
Gear :
strat copy (SD Hotrails in bridge, Lil' 59 in Neck)
Orange Dual Terror
Orange PPC112
Pitchblack/SHO Clone/Morley PWA wah
Just because it hasn't been mentioned yet, this: I try and focus on just the one or two faces in the crowd that appear to be enjoying what i'm doing, rather than the whole crowd at once. Stand-up comedians do this, as well. You block out the hecklers and people that aren't pleased with anything, no matter what. You can't please everyone...
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Smoke some pot?
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
Beta blockers.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by MyNameIsLame
Smoke some pot?

cant get hold of any on such short notice

smoke the herb prior to performance. will chill you out and make you much more sociable/ and give you more confidence. trust me. the perfect remedy for you situation.
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.