Okay. Its hit the summer holidays and I've got tonnes of time to practice and I'm loving it so i want to develop in this time as much as possible.

I'm getting a bit stressed out at the moment though with speed, how it correlates with muscle memory, picking position and technique.

Everyone must have seen that 21 day challenge but I saw something similar and started giving it a go 2 days ago. The basis is that you start that you can perfect pick the riff, and play 1 minute solid, and keep increasing till you get tension, then that is your speed of that day. Repeat the next day and so on and it should improve fast soon enough. I'm not sure if this is working too well as to what I've heard others achieve...

So I'm beginning to believe it may be due to how I hold the pick, or the style in which I pick.

I hold the pick like hmm... I'll get a picture soon but for now tell me how I should be holding it and then I can see if I'm holding differently.

Secondly I don't rest any part of my hand on the guitar, a few weeks ago I used to rest on the bridge but stopped when my teacher said it could be the problem causing my lack of progress in speed.

I will be continuing the challenge I described above, along with mixing it with the 21 day challenge method. Because I'm not long in and it may be just that, but I'm unsure... I am doing it on the same riff and currently achieved 80bpm 16th notes on it but in the song (its a rockschool book grade 5 song) its at 120bpm 16th notes.

Please help its really annoying and stressing me out!
You Are Reading A True Guitarists Signature. Stop Thinking I'm Not You Know I Am.

Quote by imdeth
Eblast over her face and tell her you need your privacy.
Quote by Ikonoklast
Another person concerned with speed.

Going fast does NOT equal 'improving'.

Yea, playing fast is so easy loloollo.
Check out my band Disturbed
If you can't play cleanly speed will sound shít.

If you can play cleanly speed will come on it's own. And it is easy because if you have to try and play fast and find it difficult chances are you've not got your technique in order.
Mmm thats what I have been lead to believe by reading round here for the past few months, so are you saying the position I hold my pick "technically" shouldn't affect my "potential" speed, as long as I practice slow, right it will get faster in time?
You Are Reading A True Guitarists Signature. Stop Thinking I'm Not You Know I Am.

Quote by imdeth
I used to think it was BS the whole 'go fast to go slow' thing but it isn't.

Yes some people go the other way and say just playing slow will make you rapid-fast - i don't believe this.

I believe the best way to build speed is to get your technique in order; small movements; smooth, even, clean notes.
Then, using this technique i believe using a metronome and upping your speed bit by bit will get you playing quicker.
Ikonoklast, thanks I can truly understand your argument there and I think that it is probably wholly right.

I will pursue this but on terms of technique I'm still unsure as to whether the way I pick is limiting my potential speed?

Quote by imdeth
Um i would say a thicker pick would be better because it won't bend when you hit strings. You don't want a pick still bent against strings (even really slightly) when your hand wants to finish the motion.

Also, try tilting your pick so it's not totally square on. I believe this only helps reach an extra 5-10 bpm anyway, but some people really believe in it.
Hmm I am using mainly a .76mm - .86mm picks. They are relatively bendy!

Cheers! I'll try that out.

And for when you square on you mean don't hit the pick er... "flat against the string" and I should twist it?? So like the side of the pick hits it?

Sorry for being so questionative ha

Quote by imdeth
bump

Quote by imdeth
yeah twist it a little bit so it goes through strings easier.
I like metal

Gear (still working on it ) :

Epiphone SG G-310
Marshall MG10cd
Boss MT-2 Metal zone

Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
^listen to him

Metalli-freak
Instead of spending the whole summer cooped up in your room playing exercises why not try actually writing music?

Don't force speed, it comes naturally with good technique.
Fair point, but I'm trying to nail the songs I'm learning ready for a grading ^_^

Quote by imdeth