I really need a new amp. I hate my little starter amp that came with my first guitar, but it is all I have right now. I have no clue what to get though. If it helps, I play mostly Classic and Hard Rock, sometimes I go into metal, and I really would like a good clean tone also. I have to be able to hear myself over a drummer also. My price range is $350 to $550 MAX, and that it really pushing it. Preferably around somewhere in between would be good.

If their is already a thread for this, direct me to it please.
- ---------
-- --------
--- -------
---- ------
----- -----
------ ----
------- ---
-------- --
--------- -

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by JacobLampman
I really need a new amp. I hate my little starter amp that came with my first guitar, but it is all I have right now. I have no clue what to get though. If it helps, I play mostly Classic and Hard Rock, sometimes I go into metal, and I really would like a good clean tone also. I have to be able to hear myself over a drummer also. My price range is $350 to $550 MAX, and that it really pushing it. Preferably around somewhere in between would be good.

If their is already a thread for this, direct me to it please.

Marshall....MG.....250....DFX....

Yes... I did just suggest that!

I've had mine for years, and for the money it really isn't that bad. Try getting one used. It has lasted me for 5 years, and only now am I thinking of upgrading for a JCM due to my recent purchase of a new guitar.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Quote by Richmanofaction

I've had mine for years, and for the money it really isn't that bad. Try getting one used. It has lasted me for 5 years, and only now am I thinking of upgrading for a JCM due to my recent purchase of a new guitar.

ignore this post, for the love of god.

the first guy gave 2 great suggestions.
Quote by Richmanofaction

there isnt even a MG 250dfx.....
And even if there was, that would be a bad suggestion. They're not very good amps.

-Gibson LP VM
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Quote by stephen_rettie
ignore this post, for the love of god
the first guy gave 2 great suggestions.

Hey- facts are facts- just because its an MG and it has this "stigma" doesnt mean its not true. Ive owned it for a while, and ive never had a problem with it

http://www.themusicfarm.com/pics/mg250dfxmergeweb.jpg

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Last edited by Richmanofaction at Aug 2, 2009,
Quote by Richmanofaction
Hey- facts are facts- just because its an MG and it has this "stigma" doesnt mean its not true. Ive owned it for a while, and ive never had a problem with it

is there a 250watt one? I thought that they only made them up to 100..........
Anyways, they have really digital distortion, not something you really want. With your money you can go for a good tube amp.

-Gibson LP VM
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Quote by jc349
is there a 250watt one? I thought that they only made them up to 100..........
Anyways, they have really digital distortion, not something you really want. With your money you can go for a good tube amp.

Nah- its 100 watt with 2 50watt speakers- 12'' celestions. It really isn't that bad. My reason for upgrading isnt dissatisfaction with it, its because I feel its time to buy an amp that really brings out the SL2h that I have

Quote by Perp8tualMotion

Quote by Richmanofaction
Nah- its 100 watt with 2 50watt speakers- 12'' celestions. It really isn't that bad. My reason for upgrading isnt dissatisfaction with it, its because I feel its time to buy an amp that really brings out the SL2h that I have

I know it isn't that bad. I own a MG. Just think about the great tube amps he could get for that money. And don't you find your MG's distortion really digital? Anyways, I think tube would be a good choice for the TS.

-Gibson LP VM
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Quote by jc349
I know it isn't that bad. I own a MG. Just think about the great tube amps he could get for that money. And don't you find your MG's distortion really digital? Anyways, I think tube would be a good choice for the TS.

The distortion is a tad digital, but thats expected from an SS....

as for that Blackstar amp- thats a nice piece of gear- I'd look into that Lampman

Quote by Perp8tualMotion

Get a vox, i say this all the time on here but for the price there a great amp, especially the ad50vt (one i have) or the VT series...
Beh, I wouldn't go Valvetronix at that price. Again, you can get a nice tube amp for that. Yes, I know VTs are hybrids, but I think they still sound digital.

Look into Blackheart, a tube change, and an overdrive pedal to boost into metal as well. Go for a Little Giant (either 1/2 stack or combo), some nice tubes, and a nice pedal, and you'll be at about $500
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
You could buy my Palomino V32 off of me. It has great cleans, and would work well for Classic rock. With a good OD pedal you could get into Hard rock and Metal.
Message me if you're interested.
I'd say a Vypyr tube 60 would be good for you. Get the Sanpera I with it too.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by wiredisme
You could buy my Palomino V32 off of me. It has great cleans, and would work well for Classic rock. With a good OD pedal you could get into Hard rock and Metal.
Message me if you're interested.

Thats not a bad suggestion, the palomino series are great amps.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life
Thats not a bad suggestion, the palomino series are great amps.

plus one...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
whats on your craigslist? $350-500 goes a long way these days.

This. Some guy was selling his palmino with a mim strat for 400 bucks together just yesterday on my craigslist

Then i also saw a carvin legacy with a 2x12 cab for 500. craigslist is a used buyers friend
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by gregs1020
plus one...

plus one more.

The Crate Palomino series are pretty great. I heard the 30 watt head is really good, but so is the V32 combo. I've played the V32 and own the V16, and they're bpth fantastic. Whole wide range of tones. You could definitely get any of those for within your price range. I've seen several V32 on craigslist in my area for about $300.
I got my DSL401 for $500 shipped off eBay. It's great for classic and hard rock, but you won't get it into metal territory at low volumes.

It's got OK reverb and is plenty loud enough.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
+1 on the Palominos. Had the V16 for awhile. With a tube change they are even better. I loved it.
Quote by AcousticMirror
Is my album list pointing a gun or a penis to your head saying buddy this thing is going to unload if you don't listen to the whole damn clip??