well my dad said he'd buy my a new guitar for my B-day, but I'm gavin some trouble finding a selection to fit my criteria, so far I love the feel of strats, but they're too bright and not enough low end for some of my doom/stoner metal needs.

so tonally i love mahogany, and passive, relatively high output humbuckers.
I LOVE figured tops, specifically quilted maple, but flamed is pretty awesome too.
strat-like feel would be a major plus
rather not have a floyd, not worth the hassle
no preference on 24/22/21 frets, i dont do alot of work up there.
I kind of have a thing against ibanez, atleast the lower end RG style necks anyway.

Amp will likely be a traynor YCS50, before you get on the whole you need a new amp first bandwagon.

I'm looking around 500ish US dollars. everything else i own is used, so, I'm perfectly fine with buying used
Last edited by kurtebirdi at Aug 2, 2009,
so what is on your local craigslist?

Edit: And the "get a new amp first" crowd is usually right, so not really a bandwagon but a group of people actually trying to get you a better tone. Nice choice on the traynor, very nice amp. Why people play nice guitars through mediocre amps confuzzeles me.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 2, 2009,
I've been looking at some of the LTDs at my local shop, but the problem is they only carry the 100-250 series, I'm looking at being able to pick up a 401 used if i wanted too. Thats also where i figured out strats feel pretty dern good in my hands, however some of the lower end LTDs felt pretty good too, just were a little cheaper feeling than the MIM i usually play.

haven't checked craigslist yet. I live near columbus OH.
Jackson man...sounds like a Dinky or Japanese Soloist would fit your needs...and reconsider the Ibanez RG series- they are nice axes
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
they weren't BAD guitars or anything, i just didn't like the feel, it was a personal taste.

I'll have to keep an eye out for Jackson, I know my local shop has a few, but They're almost ALL Vs with actives
Quote by kurtebirdi
they weren't BAD guitars or anything, i just didn't like the feel, it was a personal taste.

I'll have to keep an eye out for Jackson, I know my local shop has a few, but They're almost ALL Vs with actives

Yea- alot of shops carry the Vs, but I doubt they have active pups in em, especially for a mid range model-
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Quote by Vauxite
PRS SE Custom 22?

fixed.

schecter c-1 plus, maybe a c-1 classic, should be able to find it used for 500 bucks
RG ibanez's are VERY nice once you get to know them. when i started playing i hated the look, and couldn't figure out why my teacher always played them. if you're not looking for a tremolo that won't help much, but there are still a few good options open there. check them out, basswood bodies (normally) are great for metal. i say normally because ibanez uses a few woods, sometimes mahogany depending on the model

but if you're dead set against ibanez it's no big deal, i'd check out a MIM HSS strat. you can block off the bridge if you'd like to, you'd basically have a string through design if you did. and if the pickup wasn't what you wanted you could replace it with whatever you wanted later!
Quote by kurtebirdi

I'm not big on the Wizard-II neck profile either, but if you can find an older Ibanez with a good trem (lo-pro, original edge) their necks are more like the current prestige profiles and i like them a lot more.
It's an extreme long shot, buuuut, word has it that Jim Root's new signature guitar will be a stratocaster and odds are he'll dump some EMGs on there, it won't be around til '10, so not really an option . There's always his tele though, which would have a strat-like feel, and its made of mahogany and no floyd, its got actives though.

Sorry if I was zero help btw, normally I just lurk...

I'll go away now.
A used Schecter C-1 Classic perhaps, it doesn't have very high output pickups but the rest it seems to nail.