I'm having a bit of trouble with using my NS-2. This is the setup I normally use:

Guitar -> Wah -> Bad Monkey -> Amp
Effects Loop Send -> Boss GE-7 -> Boss NS-2 Input/Output -> Effects Loop Return.

The problem was, I got a lot of feedback noise from the Bad Monkey, even with the NS-2 switched on.

I asked in the Valveking thread and it was suggested that I run the guitar->amp loop and the effects loop through the NS-2. Basically something like this...

Guitar -> Wah -> Bad Monkey -> NS-2 Input/Output -> Amp
Effects Loop Send -> Boss GE-7 -> NS-2 Return/Send -> Amp

Seeing as how the NS-2 has both an Input/Output and a Return/Send, it makes it possible to run two loops through it.

Now, here rises the problem, which I cannot even begin to understand.

When I have my gear set up as in the second picture, I only recieve a clean tone, even when on the lead channel of the Valveking. Basically both channels sound identical.

Also, neither of the volume controls on either channel appear to do anything when I have the gear set up as above. And I can unplug the Valveking Input and Effects Loop Send and the guitar will STILL play through the amp.

So what I percieve to be happening, is the power running down the Effects Loop Return, through the NS-2, BM and wah and into the guitar. But it doesnt really explain why the amp appears to be using a non-existant 3rd channel with no volume control.

Any help appreciated, and any more questions please ask. Thanks.
The Noise gate is blocking out the bad monkey? try it in the front of your pedals without it in the loop?
Quote by TheWall27

Spot on, JWZ28, spot on.

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Blackstar HT-5
Framus 2x12
Quote by JWZ28
The Noise gate is blocking out the bad monkey? try it in the front of your pedals without it in the loop?

So have it in front with only the EQ in the FX loop? I'll try that tomorrow, thanks.

What I don't really understand is the fact that there are two loops on the NS-2 (input/output and send/return) and that they don't seem to work together...
Quote by JWZ28

nope, all he needs to do is switch the blue and green cables going into the noise gate, i think....

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Your arrows are all wrong.

The NS-2 sucks too much tone to run in 2 places imo...

Guitar > Wah > BM > Preamp > EQ > NS-2 > Poweramp
WTLTL 2011

this might help
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Quote by Random3
Huge help, thanks!

anytime
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Quote by Random3
I'm having a bit of trouble with using my NS-2. This is the setup I normally use:

Guitar -> Wah -> Bad Monkey -> Amp
Effects Loop Send -> Boss GE-7 -> Boss NS-2 Input/Output -> Effects Loop Return.

The problem was, I got a lot of feedback noise from the Bad Monkey, even with the NS-2 switched on.

I asked in the Valveking thread and it was suggested that I run the guitar->amp loop and the effects loop through the NS-2. Basically something like this...

Guitar -> Wah -> Bad Monkey -> NS-2 Input/Output -> Amp
Effects Loop Send -> Boss GE-7 -> NS-2 Return/Send -> Amp

Seeing as how the NS-2 has both an Input/Output and a Return/Send, it makes it possible to run two loops through it.

Now, here rises the problem, which I cannot even begin to understand.

When I have my gear set up as in the second picture, I only recieve a clean tone, even when on the lead channel of the Valveking. Basically both channels sound identical.

Also, neither of the volume controls on either channel appear to do anything when I have the gear set up as above. And I can unplug the Valveking Input and Effects Loop Send and the guitar will STILL play through the amp.

So what I percieve to be happening, is the power running down the Effects Loop Return, through the NS-2, BM and wah and into the guitar. But it doesnt really explain why the amp appears to be using a non-existant 3rd channel with no volume control.

Any help appreciated, and any more questions please ask. Thanks.

WHAT YOU WANT TO DO IS NOT USE ANY OF YOUR PEDALS IN THE EFFETS LOOP.
THE EFFECTS LOOP IS FOR RACK EFFECTS ONLY, THERE IS A REASON FOR THIS BUT I FORGET WHAT IT IS. SORRY.
Quote by Dimebag R.I.P.
WHAT YOU WANT TO DO IS NOT USE ANY OF YOUR PEDALS IN THE EFFETS LOOP.
THE EFFECTS LOOP IS FOR RACK EFFECTS ONLY, THERE IS A REASON FOR THIS BUT I FORGET WHAT IT IS. SORRY.

Wrong.

Effects loops are generally used for modulation effects so the amp's preamp doesn't color the tone of the effect. You can run any effect through a preamp though, but you might not get a nice tone.

TS: The way I always understood the NS-2 to work is the "Send/Return" is a loop for your other pedals to go through and the "Input/Output" is for your guitar to run into the pedal then straight to the amp.

I'm not much of an effects guy so I've never had that problem with my NS-2, but the way I mentioned is the way I've seen people like Adam and Joel from Killswitch Engage set up theirs.
i just edited the original drawing a little in paint, the only thing i'm unsure about is the eq pedal.

that's how i'd set it up.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by mikeyElite
i just edited the original drawing a little in paint, the only thing i'm unsure about is the eq pedal.

*IMAGE*

that's how i'd set it up.

Just tried and got no sound

The way I have it now which works very well is:

Guitar -> Wah -> Bad Monkey -> NS-2 -> Amp

With the EQ on its own in the effects loop.
idk

you got it working though, so that's good.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by i_am_metalhead

TS: The way I always understood the NS-2 to work is the "Send/Return" is a loop for your other pedals to go through and the "Input/Output" is for your guitar to run into the pedal then straight to the amp.

I'm not much of an effects guy so I've never had that problem with my NS-2, but the way I mentioned is the way I've seen people like Adam and Joel from Killswitch Engage set up theirs.

That's what I thought, according to the instructions that came with it. Now I'm wondering if it just eliminates pedal noise and not high gain noise. Grrrrr...... I got feedback, but only in a high volume/ high gain way. /cry I just wanna tighten up my sound and get rid of high gain squeal. It wasn't such a big deal before, I didn't jam that loud by myself. Now that I found a band to play with, it just bugs me when I hear it creeping in during brief silence. I'm after that tight crushing tone, and I have the tone, just need my rig to go quiet when I stops my pickin'!!!

Killswitch rocked when I seen them live btw.
Guitars are like my babies... except without that useless baby meat...