Page 1 of 3
As many of you remember, last time I had you compose a short piece of conforming to strict musical structure decided largely by chance. The goal was to challenge you by limiting your options in such a way that you would be forced to use the few undecided elements in ways you may not have thought of given the freedom to do anything.

This new experiment is, in many ways, the polar opposite. Instead, I have a created a rough track with details unknown to all of you. Your goal is to compose a short solo based on what you imagine my piece sounding like based on the few details I give you. The details of the experiment are as follows...

1. I will provide a rough framework around which you are to compose a short solo. This framework will include tempo, key, the length of the solo (necessary for reasons described below), number of bars, and chords in each bar. You will not, however, be given any details regarding the instrumentation, genre, or "mood" of the backing track.

2. You are to compose a solo based on those details. You can record it yourself (you may want to play along to a backing track of your own creation, though the solo must be sent as a separate audio file, or, if you cannot record, notate it (powertab or guitar pro is fine) and send it to me along with a description of the tone in which you intend it to be played and I will record it.

3. Send the solo, either as an audio file or notated in some way, to me. I will then incorporate each solo into the piece I have written.

If you imagine the piece sounding bluesy, write a blues solo. If you imagine it as heavy metal, start shredding away. I'm looking forward to a dozen solos in radically different genres sounding together in a completely inappropriate context.

Rationale

People envision musical concepts differently. If I tell you to imagine the sound of a G7, what you hear in your head is going to be influenced significantly by your musical experience. A pianist is unlikely to hear a softly strummed guitar playing along to 12-bar blues, whereas that guitarist likely wont imagine the climax of tension in Beethoven sonata. What I'm interested in is the individual interpretation of a loosely defined music structure, and thee effect produced when a composition within that structure is moved into an environment with identical structure but radically differing non-structural characteristics.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Aug 2, 2009,
Lead sheet attached.
Since your solo will be mixed into the finished track, it is essential that your solo is in time (see below). I strongly suggest playing along to a click track, though make sure the recorded solo is its own audio file.

Key: E major
Meter: 6/8 (ONE two three TWO two three)
Tempo: Dotted quarter note = 80bpm

I've tried to keep the harmony relatively simple so that less experienced members won't have any apprehension about taking part.

IMPORTANT: The lead sheet incorrectly shows the chords Cm and Cm(b6). These should be C#m and C#m(b6), respectively. I'll correct this tomorrow.

C#m(b6): 1 - b3 - 5 - b6
Attachments:
Experiment 2.zip
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Aug 4, 2009,
Sounds cool, count me in.

Is this strictly guitar? or are other instruments allowed (for example piano).

Also: Can I submit my entry on Sibelius 5?
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Aug 2, 2009,
I can feel the vast expanses of the sea of inspiration bubbling as if held over an active volcano. I hope you get the chord progression worked out soon. I'm definitely having a shot at this
Quote by griffRG7321
Sounds cool, count me in.

Is this strictly guitar? or are other instruments allowed (for example piano).

Also: Can I submit my entry on Sibelius 5?

Any instrument is fine. Sibelius (or Finale) is fine as well.
This sounds much cooler after reading the rational. Personally, I'm interested in this kind of juxtaposition inadvertently creating something amazing and unique. I guess I will participate. My recording capabilities are little or none but I don't really want to trouble you with having to record for me (and tons of other people). I guess I'll observe then =D
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Eastwinn
This sounds much cooler after reading the rational. Personally, I'm interested in this kind of juxtaposition inadvertently creating something amazing and unique. I guess I will participate. My recording capabilities are little or none but I don't really want to trouble you with having to record for me (and tons of other people). I guess I'll observe then =D

It's not any trouble. If I get tired, I'll just run the MIDI through my Motif and record what comes out.
I'll try and see how this goes. Sounds fun! Will you post all the solo's after it's all done?
Quote by Archeo Avis
It's not any trouble. If I get tired, I'll just run the MIDI through my Motif and record what comes out.

In that case, I'll definitely participate . I'll try to get the dynamics in my MIDI sounding pretty good. I'm pretty excited to get started now.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by timeconsumer09
I'll try and see how this goes. Sounds fun! Will you post all the solo's after it's all done?

Yes. I'm going to mix all of them into one file.
Is it one entry per person? Cause I'm mainly on guitar but i love bass as a solo instrument. Can i do both?
Вяєҭҭ
ZeGuitarist's sister is hawt.
?)
Quote by Ribcage
Is it one entry per person? Cause I'm mainly on guitar but i love bass as a solo instrument. Can i do both?

Yeah, go ahead.
This is IMO a much more interesting concept then you're last one. Hopefully more people will do this one. I'll try and get one done, my new amp has a great lead tone.
count me in
Call me Michael...

Mixing
Need something mixed? Send me a PM with the details! Cheap rates, fast turnaround, satisfaction guaranteed!

Certifications:
Pro Tools HD9
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
i'll try it, but feel free to exclude my solo from the finished track if it's as bad as i expect

oh, i'll be playing through an MG
eh yeah...
Great idea! I'm definitely following this. Might play something, too.
A samurai once asked Zen Master Hakuin where he would go after he died. Hakuin answered 'How am I supposed to know?'
'How do you not know? You're a Zen master!' exclaimed the samurai.
'Yes, but not a dead one,' Hakuin answered.
Quote by WishfulShredder
how long do the solos have to be

I'm going to post the details later today.
Sweet. BTW, is it okay to layer tracks? IE, harmony and such... Maybea counterpoint-ish 2/3 part guitar solo?
Quote by MadAudioMan
Sweet. BTW, is it okay to layer tracks? IE, harmony and such... Maybea counterpoint-ish 2/3 part guitar solo?

I imagine you could, if piano is an option then I'm sure most pianists will do some harmonies.
Quote by pwrmax
I imagine you could, if piano is an option then I'm sure most pianists will do some harmonies.

I won't exclude it, but you have to keep in mind that the solo is going to be mixed against the backing track that I've created (I'll post a lead sheet describing the tempo/chords/bars etc, but the instrumentation and texture will be kept a secret). Harmony too dense is likely to wind up sounding cluttered.
Aww, I was looking forward to starting this tonight.... hopefully he'll have details up tomorrow. =/
Quote by timeconsumer09
Aww, I was looking forward to starting this tonight.... hopefully he'll have details up tomorrow. =/

They'll be up later tonight.
I'm interested. My recording mic is MIA at a friends house for a while, but I can come up with something on finale.
Quote by UtBDan
this man hits the nail on the head.
Details posted. The lead sheet has been uploaded in the second post in the thread.
Err Cm(b6)? Otherwise known as a C5? Is the modulation to Cm intended or was it meant to be a C#m?

It's a cool idea, I'm in, I just want to clear up some issues.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Err Cm(b6)? Otherwise known as a C5? Is the modulation to Cm intended or was it meant to be a C#m?

It's a cool idea, I'm in, I just want to clear up some issues.

I'll correct it. It's meant to be C#m(b6) (all instances of C-anything should be C#)
Quote by Archeo Avis
I'll correct it. It's meant to be C#m(b6) (all instances of C-anything should be C#)

Cool - I was only pointing it out because it could have discouraged some players inexperienced with soloing over modulations and you wanted it to appeal to all skill levels.

And you do mean C#5 right haha. It doesn't really matter if we're playing over your backing track anyways.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Cool - I was only pointing it out because it could have discouraged some players inexperienced with soloing over modulations and you wanted it to appeal to all skill levels.

And you do mean C5 right haha. It doesn't really matter if we're playing over your backing track anyways.

I mean C#m(b6), consisting of the intervals: 1 - b3 - 5 - b6. (this could not-incorrectly be called C#m(add b13), but since it's not really acting as an extension, I didn't notate it that way)
Isn't a b6 in a minor chord a 5th? Seriously - try to find it on the fretboard.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Isn't a b6 in a minor chord a 5th? Seriously - try to find it on the fretboard.

A b6 is always a b6, not a fifth. The chord it's contained in is irrelevant.
Quote by Archeo Avis
A b6 is always a b6, not a fifth. The chord it's contained in is irrelevant.

Whilst this may be correct technically (I really don't know), can we confirm that the 5th and b6th of a C# minor chord is Ab - the same note.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Whilst this may be correct technically (I really don't know), can we confirm that the 5th and b6th of a C# minor chord is Ab - the same note.

No. The fifth of a C# minor chord is G#. The b6 is A.
Quote by Archeo Avis
No. The fifth of a C# minor chord is G#. The b6 is A.

I see. The b6th is the same as the 6th. Well today it is.

Can someone point out why I'm getting confused?
Soundcloud
Last edited by AlanHB at Aug 4, 2009,
Page 1 of 3