Page 1 of 2
Some bands just have that depressing atmosphere about them that is happy, sad, or whatever no matter what. Even if the song isn't happy or sad.

For me the Police are sad, no matter if its "Every Breathe You Take" or "Next To You". The Zombies are the same way. Elliott Smith however makes me happy for the weirdest reason when all his songs are pretty sad.

What about you guys?
I'm sorry, I really find it hard to take anything you say seriously with that signature.

But, I will answer your question:

Listening to Smashing Pumpkins, no matter what, always makes me a little melancholy, no pun intended...

Oh, and listening to bands like James Gang, The Eagles, Grand Funk Railroad, et cetera, always puts me in a good mood.
Last edited by crazy8rgood at Aug 2, 2009,
Joy Division.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
John Mayer mellows me out in an instant...

Slipknot pumps me up like no other band can...

RHCP cheer me up a lot...

And everyone else just fills the silences in a pleasantly interesting way.
Quote by Antis0cial
I wonder how long it will take before someone says Jonas Brothers....

I was wondering how long it would take for somebody to say something about my sig.

Get out of my grill Anis0cial!
blink-182 no matter who you are will cheer you up anysong
311 however even though i love them make me sad because my old girlfriend turned me onto them and they make me think of her
Iced Earth to me is like an energy drink, the riffs just make you want to run around in circles.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
Coheed and Cambria make me happy, my brothers gangsta rap music makes me livid somehow, and Pink Floyd make me feel really small and insignificant.
...In my opinion.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
Elliot smith is great at making me depressed!

Samesies. Maybe not incredibly depressed, but definitely down and somewhat wistful.
Mika makes me depressed as ****.
Quote by Stormx
I tremble before your enormous penis.
Quote by molala2
and i farted, it was really stink
Quote by italiarlz135
Led Pepplin, you are god because of this thread.
Quote by josh999x, Brick23

Quote by Jehuty
Muse make me feel on top of the world. Seriously, the anticipation for the riff in New Born...

As soon as he starts turning up the volume on his guitar you can't help but feel excited can you?

I can't listen to One Day Like This by Elbow and not feel instantly uplifted. Great song for picking you up
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
Quote by Led Pepplin
Mika makes me depressed as ****.

I like Mika, yeah, you heard me, I like Mika.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by JacobTheMe
I was wondering how long it would take for somebody to say something about my sig.

Get out of my grill Anis0cial!

Lol just noticed your sig. You were dropped as a baby weren't you? or hit by a car or something....
Alestorm make me happy.
There's a special sex move I do called the Charizard.
It's where you light the girls pubes, then put it out with your cum and run around the room flapping your arms screaming, "You don't have enough badges to train me!"
Quote by DirtyMakik
I like Mika, yeah, you heard me, I like Mika.

I f*cking love Mika. Always makes me happy.
the songs from Wicked always give me that chill of the spine epic feeling, and I'm Not That Girl never fails to make me cry.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duxW776BYeQ&feature=related - happy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtxwTS8cxic&feature=related - happy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq7_rjlxBwA - happy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff92TxuOcpM&feature=related - sad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f70H5tXyZXE&feature=related - happy
and i couldnt find their best song "the king beatle on coconut estate" which can only be described as - epic, no, - more epic then comfortably numb and stairway combined
Portishead are just ridiculously depressing. However, though they make a pretty emotional impact on me, I can't really say I enjoy their music, it's just too gloomy and bleh.

I can always get into emotional music like SDRE or Cap'n Jazz though.
Anything Steven Wilson does (be it Porcupine Tree, Blackfield, No-Man, solo, etc.).
I swear, that man sings and plays directly from my heart. Nothing moves me emotionally quite like so many of his songs do.

Radiohead do this extremely well too.
Last edited by hugmeplz at Aug 2, 2009,
Quote by zchavez09
blink-182 no matter who you are will cheer you up anysong

Adam's song, Stockholm Syndrome, I'm Lost Without You, Violence, Easy Target, Stay Together For The Kids.. list goes on.

For me, Reel Big Fish generally put me in a good mood

But, Enema of the state, or any of the old blink albums put me in a good mood, minus a few songs.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
The Zombies do that to me, too. Cause my girlfriend left me the other day, and on our second date she had me pull over so she could throw up and I turned This Will Be Our Year up really loudly so she'd have some privacy and feel less awkward. Now I can't listen to it without being sad.

Most Elliott Smith usually makes me pretty happy, too. Especially Figure 8. Dunno why. Same with Alice in Chains, though if I listen to too much of it, I can get kinda down. Oh, and Hank Williams.. Listening to Hank Williams when you're having trouble with your woman is never a good idea.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Aug 2, 2009,
Dream Theater generally makes me happy, or at least

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwQUrpH7Tfw&feature=related

That particular song does, how can you NOT be happy about 15 seconds in
Quote by Ichikurosaki
fenrir you legendary legend man

I'm a legendary legend
Quote by Kensai
Maybe there's a connection between intelligence and obesity? Hmmmmm...

Kefka of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM Metacarpi, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Quote by Jack Off Jill
The Zombies do that to me, too. Cause my girlfriend left me the other day, and on our second date she had me pull over so she could throw up and I turned This Will Be Our Year up really loudly so she'd have some privacy and feel less awkward. Now I can't listen to it without being sad.

Most Elliott Smith usually makes me pretty happy, too. Especially Figure 8. Dunno why.

I can see Figure 8 being more happy, but I wouldn't characterize most of his stuff as being happy. In a way, I can see where you're coming from, but there's a definite depressing quality to his music.

Very emotional, either way.
Quote by Benjibum2nd
Coheed and Cambria make me happy, my brothers gangsta rap music makes me livid somehow, and Pink Floyd make me feel really small and insignificant.

what coheed makes you happy??!?!?!? some of there songs maybe but some of there lyrics are depressing like "I have no luck with girls" that is a depressing lyric
Dream Theater and Devin Townsend makes me feel happy and Strapping Young Lad and Meshuggah get me pumped up.
Quote by nalyd
I can see Figure 8 being more happy, but I wouldn't characterize most of his stuff as being happy. In a way, I can see where you're coming from, but there's a definite depressing quality to his music.

Very emotional, either way.

I don't think it's that depressing, really. Actually, I think he's a whiny little girl. I just really like his guitar playing. The only one that really does make me sad is From a Basement on the Hill. Twilight gets me everytime. I mean, Roman Candle doesn't seem that sad.. Elliott Smith sorta does in some parts, but for the most part it doesn't seem that depressing except a few songs, XO can get me on one or two of them, like Pitseleh. But none of them are really that depressing. The only one that really gets me is Basement, and that's just cause that's the one he really was using drugs for, and he died before finishing it. Little One is really bad, cause that just seems like a love song for drugs. I with they had put True Love on there.

Only a few songs on each album. Like on Either/Or, it's pretty much just Between the Bars, 2:45, and sometimes Say Yes.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Aug 2, 2009,
I always find insrumentals to be very moving, Andy McKee's work usually puts a smile on my face, and for sadness I would have to say Comptine d'un autre l'ete by Yann Tiersen.
Beers on me
Post-rock and ska are pretty much guaranteed to give me a much needed dose of happiness.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I don't think it's that depressing, really. Actually, I think he's a whiny little girl. I just really like his guitar playing. The only one that really does make me sad is From a Basement on the Hill. Twilight gets me everytime. I mean, Roman Candle doesn't seem that sad.. Elliott Smith sorta does in some parts, but for the most part it doesn't seem that depressing except a few songs, XO can get me on one or two of them, like Pitseleh. But none of them are really that depressing. The only one that really gets me is Basement, and that's just cause that's the one he really was using drugs for, and he died before finishing it. Little One is really bad, cause that just seems like a love song for drugs. I with they had put True Love on there.

Only a few songs on each album. Like on Either/Or, it's pretty much just Between the Bars, 2:45, and sometimes Say Yes.

I'll agree with you about Basement, you can kind of hear him going on a downward spiral, IMO.
Oh, I forgot to mention, I was introduced to Locus Toybox the other day, AKA David Firth (the dude who made Salad Fingers), and so far all of his music has put me in a good mood. Pretty damn good IDM, I didn't even listen to IDM before this.

Behold, the genius that is David Firth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmtBH64BkRw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnR7uuwYdZw

You can download all of his albums for free on his site:

http://fat-pie.com/locust/
Quote by nalyd
I'll agree with you about Basement, you can kind of hear him going on a downward spiral, IMO.

Yeah, that one is hard to listen to. I also think it's his best work for some reason. I think it had the perfect mix of pianos, acoustic guitars, and electric guitars. Cause Figure 8 had way too much piano and electric, whereas some of his acoustic songs can get kinda boring. But Basement did it perfectly. I'm glad those noise jams he worked on finally got leaked, too. They're weird. Actually, some of his demos and b-sides are kinda depressing, too. When he covers a song, that can kinda get to me. Like his version of Trouble by Cat Stevens. Or Concrete Jungle.
Quote by Ponyexpress
what coheed makes you happy??!?!?!? some of there songs maybe but some of there lyrics are depressing like "I have no luck with girls" that is a depressing lyric

Maybe if he cut that damn mop on his head and wrote better comic books he'd have better luck with women.
Quote by vintage x metal

Page 1 of 2