So, I have in mind a project (a very distant one, maybe ending in later 2010) anyways, I still try pickups (the few that I can play here where I live) but so far I have on mind DiMarzio pickups, and the names like "D-Sonic", "Crunch Lab", "PAF Joe", "PAF Pro", "Liquifire" and "Breed" are flying around my head, I realize that almost all of what I mentioned is a signature pickup (Satriani, Vai or Petrucci) but so far I like all of them.
Since a guitar can't have 6 Pickups, I must choose only 2, so I need your suggestions and experiences to know a little more about each one, I play Thrash, Heavy, little Prog, and stuff like Satriani's or little Jazz (not much though), I'll be putting them on a mahogany guitar with an ebony freboard, and probably will be running trough a B52 At-112, so which one seems most promising?
My gear:
-LTD EC401VF DMZ LD
-Ormsby Run 3 Hype GTR
-Yamaha C40M
My experience with Dimarzios...

Dimarzio PAF - didn't sound like a PAF to my ears
Dimarzio PAF Pro - sounded even less a PAF
Dmarzio 36th Anniversary PAF - sounded ok, but again, not that great, sold it

Reading the pickup makers forum, Dimarzio gets bashed a lot for using crap materials, but I think they sound ok for more modern styles. They just have this really slick sound though that I dislike. Idk, I've never been a huge fan.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 2, 2009,
Quote by al112987

Reading the pickup makers forum, Dimarzio gets bashed a lot for using crap materials, but I think they sound ok for more modern styles. They just have this really slick sound though that I dislike. Idk, I've never been a huge fan.

At least do you think is good for what I'm planning to play?
And does anyone else has something to say? xD
My gear:
-LTD EC401VF DMZ LD
-Ormsby Run 3 Hype GTR
-Yamaha C40M
Quote by al112987

As long as you aren't going for a paf tone its fine. they just need to relabel the names on their paf pickups.

Paf Pro-Clear but a little too harsh for me as a neck pickup for clean clean. i had more success using it as a bridge pickup
Paf Joe- a little cleaner, had more mids. better for clean clean
Air Norton-Miles cleaner for clean clean. good for lead tones
Tone Zone-Bassy. highish output. good for rhythm. but too harsh for leads
Super distortion-similar to tone zone. Both are decent for 70's, 80's rock metal, and beyond.
Air Classic-capable of incredible warm sound.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
i just installed the d sonic and paf pro in my guitar, and the d-sonic is punchy sounding nice amount of output, sounded great split too, tight but not thin sounding, the paf pro is nice for leads pretty articulate but still has neck pick up qualities, think necrophagist solo tone in advance corpse tumor. imo anyways
Gear:
Jackson SL1 !
Jackson SLS3 w/ bk warpig
ibanez RGA 121 with D sonic and paf pro
peavey triple X with JJ 6L6s and celestion G12k-100
bad monkey
mxr 10 band eq
digitech hardwire dl8
paul gilbert's airplane flanger
I have owned the PAF PRO, Super Distortion and the X2N (I currently have the x2n). I love the x2n truely as with the right setup its pretty sleek and powerful sounding. The paf pro was very clear and the super distortion had a great gainy tone. I would say dimarzio is great for the more modern sound and if you want the vintage sound go with seymour duncan although they make some great high output pups too.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni