Soo I was messing around with making a Warmoth custom guitar...

But I didn't understand why the so much of the stuff cost nothing, especially the bridge.

So my question is, do the guitars come with all the hardware and electronics, or to they give you the general guitar and you put in all the electronics and hardware?

$685 seemed way too cheap for a guitar with 2 single coil EMG's for $35 and a humbucker with standard strat tremolo costing nothing.
Mhh I think you're missing something, maybe paint job, (btw you must put all together, they don't still anything) also you must include pots, knobs, bridge, pickups, tuners, finishes, inlays (if you want different inlays) and others, could you give the specs you're looking for? maybe you're omitting something
My gear:
-LTD EC401VF DMZ LD
-Ormsby Run 3 Hype GTR
-Yamaha C40M
dont you actually build these yourself? they just give you the parts
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
I was just curious how much it would cost, and what comes with the guitar when I have it fully customized.

I picked a Z style body with a flamed maple top, mahogany body in transparent blue.

All my settings subtotaled to $685

I'm not sure if I added a neck. I don't think I did.

Do you have to set up the neck, too?
That sounds about right. Now you just have to add a neck, and the hardware
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
I was just curious how much it would cost, and what comes with the guitar when I have it fully customized.

I picked a Z style body with a flamed maple top, mahogany body in transparent blue.

All my settings subtotaled to $685

I'm not sure if I added a neck. I don't think I did.

Do you have to set up the neck, too?

Not if you want a headless guitar, literally
Where did you expected to play? xD
My gear:
-LTD EC401VF DMZ LD
-Ormsby Run 3 Hype GTR
-Yamaha C40M
Well I had never used Warmoth guitars before.

And now it makes more sense. The neck would cost what, around $150-200 for a 24 fret neck with XJ frets made of maple and a rosewood fingerboard with locking tuners?
Quote by Night_Warrior
I personally play without a neck, it feels sooo much smoother.

It is almost air-thin, too thin for me, really.

Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Well I had never used Warmoth guitars before.

And now it makes more sense. The neck would cost what, around $150-200 for a 24 fret neck with XJ frets made of maple and a rosewood fingerboard with locking tuners?

MUCH more than that, like 350 maybe, and without any finish, also you have to pay if the body is getting a 24-fret neck, 'cuz the ones that they made by default are for 22 frets, so they must move the neck pup hole so it isn't under the neck, that costs 35, I think, also there's a variety of headstocks and their prices are different too, you should check them out.
EDIT: it would depend of which kind of rosewood you're looking for, they have Indian Rosewood, Dark Indian Rosewood (both 173$ with 22 frets and no finish, with standard dot inlays, or without them and without tuners obviously) , Brazilian Rosewood (233$), and Dark Brazilian Rosewood. (273$) all with maple neck (I don't know if they're available in all kinds of necks, I used the Jackson headstock one, plus 25$ for the 24 fret extension (not the 35$ one of the body, that is another thing you must pay separately).
My gear:
-LTD EC401VF DMZ LD
-Ormsby Run 3 Hype GTR
-Yamaha C40M
Last edited by RiksRiks at Aug 2, 2009,
Alright, well I think I'd consider Warmoth.

It probably wouldn't cost AS much with like an LP shaped body.

I mean, the Z shape is pretty different... haha.

Thanks everyone.

But do they supply the hardware and electronics?
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Alright, well I think I'd consider Warmoth.

It probably wouldn't cost AS much with like an LP shaped body.

I mean, the Z shape is pretty different... haha.

Thanks everyone.

But do they supply the hardware and electronics?

Yes they do, pickups and electronics (but they don't have DiMarzios, only Duncans and others I think) and everything else like the bridge (TOM and floyd rose) etc. etc. etc.
EDIT: maybe I misunderstood, but you must pay them and then they supply you with them xD
My gear:
-LTD EC401VF DMZ LD
-Ormsby Run 3 Hype GTR
-Yamaha C40M
Last edited by RiksRiks at Aug 2, 2009,
Okay,thanks

So a guitar from Warmoth IS gonna be over $1,000?

I'd almost rather buy one of those kits, throw out the ****ty pickups, tuners and bridge and build it myself... lol.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Okay,thanks

So a guitar from Warmoth IS gonna be over $1,000?

I'd almost rather buy one of those kits, throw out the ****ty pickups, tuners and bridge and build it myself... lol.

Yes it IS, but is a custom made with USA made parts, and original and quality hardware, it is unique in some way, and since is not a line of guitars already made like most guitar companies, they ARE expensive, but not as much as if you went with a luthier (what a real custom would be). Any way or other, I'm making one, which I'm sure from now that I'm going to love
My gear:
-LTD EC401VF DMZ LD
-Ormsby Run 3 Hype GTR
-Yamaha C40M
i'm making an f-hole strat with a purpleheart neck with ebony board. yeah, it's cost me around $1000 or so, but where else would i get a strat with those specs? the neck is absolutely flawless, and the body is everything i could have hoped for. i bought both pieces off of their showcase (pieces they have already built, much cheaper an quicker than custom ordering). check out the official warmoth thread for pictures.

anyway, their pieces are top quality! only drawback is assembly is up to you.
Firstly, there is a thread for Warmoth discussion HERE. Secondly, there are the Unofficial Warmoth forums HERE (though they call them 'unofficial', the Warmoth site links to them as their only forums and Warmoth staff post on there regularly).

Thirdly, this is overall how Warmoth works:
  • They make up and send you what you order and only exactly what you order. So if for example you order a neck but you don't say what kind of fretwire you want on it, they will send you a neck that doesn't have any frets. If you order a body but you don't tell them what pickups you want it routed for, they will not cut any holes for pickups in the body. Nothing is ''given'' with their orders, if you don't write it down in your e-mail/fax or tell them explicitly over the phone then they won't do it. They will not ''assume'' anything, they will only make the things you actually mention. For this reason you have to make sure you cover everything your guitar needs, including things that are easy to forget like the size hole you want for the input jack, the size of the tuner holes on the headstock, whether you want all the normal controls on the guitar or not, etc.
  • Yes, some options are ''free''. Common pickup routings, bridge routings and control routings are all included in the basic price of the bodies, though some special options will cost extra; for example, if you want a Telecaster bridge on an SG body, that will cost $45 more. The same goes with certain neck options. The Warmoth website clearly states which options are free and which cost more; if you want something that isn't mentioned on the Warmoth site, e-mail them about it well before you place an order.
  • Have a hard think about what you do actually need. I like Warmoth, but don't believe everything their website says; just because they say a particular species of wood gives good tone, doesn't mean you'll think it will have good tone. Everyone's opinion of good tone differs. Similarly just because they say that a certain feature is easy to play on doesn't necessarily mean it'll be the best feature for you. For example, Warmoth love their 10"-16" compound radius fretboards, but having used one myself I hate it and from now on I'm strictly only order 9.5" radius fretboards from them. You need to really think about every option, and if you're not sure about something then it's usually best to leave it and stick with what you are familiar with. It will help you a lot if you go to a guitars tore and play lots of different guitars to get an idea what different neck sizes, fret wire sizes and wood types feel and sound like.
  • Once you've decided on what you want to order, it's a good idea to write it down somewhere and double check over it to make sure you've not forgotten anything. It's easy to forget things like screws, string ferrules, etc.
  • Place your order with Warmoth. You can do this by phone, fax, mail or e-mail, or some things can be bought from their website directly. Personally I think mail, fax or e-mail is best, and if you use mail then make sure to photocopy what you send them, that way you have proof of exactly what it is you ordered. Personally I make all my orders via e-mail, that way everything is easily there can be forwarded back to them for easy reference.
  • Be aware that they have a large "In Stock" section that has a lot of guitar bodies and necks ready routed and many of them will already be finished too. Buying this way means you get exactly the body or neck you see in the picture, it will arrive faster, and it usually costs a bit less too. It has the final added benefit of being able to buy these items directly on their site, using a shopping cart system just like most other online shops. The drawback is that if you find a body you like in stock but you want it modified slightly, the options for customisation are very limited. So if what you want is something very weird, they probably won't have it in stock. On the other hand they sometimes put bodies and necks in their stock section that have options that you can't order normally. For example many bodies turn up in their stock that have finishes you can't normally order from them.
  • You can change or add to an order, but they will charge you for this. Be aware that if you you cancel or change an order and they've already done custom work to a body or neck, you will still be charged for that body or neck. This is why I said it's a good idea to double-check everything and be totally certain about your order before you place the order with them.
  • They will make what you have ordered and only what you have ordered. They will not include anything extra. They do not give you bridge hardware, pickups, tuners or anything else for free. They will not ''guess' or ''assume' anything about your order, so if you forgot to mention something then they won't do it and you won't get it. They will take everything you say very literally. For example, when I ordered a Telecaster body made of ash from them, I told them "I don't want the light swamp ash, I want a heavy piece of hard ash". So they made my Tele body out of some of the heaviest hard ash they had and this guitar now weighs more than even most bass guitars! Luckily I love heavy guitars, but basically the point is, be very careful what you order and how you word everything. They do exactly what you order and I do mean exactly.
  • They do not put guitars together themselves. Their license with Fender prohibits them from selling complete guitars, all they can do is send you the separate parts. On certain bridges, they can start to install the bridge studs for you into the body. That is the most they can do. You put together everything. This does mean if you are not sure how it should all be done or if you make a bad job of it, then yes your guitar will end up being botched and probably a bit messed up. Warmoth builds are absolutely not for beginners.
  • A Warmoth build that is put together properly can match and in some ways beat the quality of a typical American-made Fender instrument. It will usually cost about the same in total as an American Fender too, but then again with Warmoth you get it customised to the spec you want rather than it being something generic off the shelf, so I do think Warmoth is a better way to go if you do know what you're ordering and you know you're not going to bugger up building the guitar.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I wrote way too much and now my tea's gone cold and it's coming up to 3am GOD WHY MUST YOU CURSE ME SO!?
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
I wrote way too much and now my tea's gone cold and it's coming up to 3am GOD WHY MUST YOU CURSE ME SO!?

You should copy your responses and paste them in word documents for later use.

EDIT:
Also sigged
Last edited by Pac_man0123 at Aug 2, 2009,
Sounds about right, indeed. Here's what I ordered from Warmoth last week, and it came up to $650:

Items:

* 1 of: Gotoh Stop Tail Piece, Black
* 1 of: Gotoh Tune O Matic Bridge, Black
* 1 of: LP Toggle Switch, Straight, Black
* 1 of: Wiring Kit , (1 ft ea of Black, Red & White Wire, 3 ft of Coaxial Wire)
* 1 of: Short Humbucker Mounting Ring, Black
* 1 of: Tall Humbucker Mounting Ring, Black
* 1 of: Mono Jack, By Switchcraft
* 1 of: Square Side Jack Plate, Black
* 1 of: Humbucker Mtg Screw For Plastic Rings, Dozen, Black
* 1 of: Neck Screw, Set of 4, Black
* 1 of: Pickguard Screw, Dozen, Black
* 1 of: Schaller Strap Locks, Pair, Black
* 1 of: Neck Plate Pad, Black
* 1 of: Neck Plate, Black
* 2 of: Flat Top Knob, Black
* 6 of: Gotoh SG38 Tuner, Left, Black
* 1 of: Showcase Body
* 1 of: Showcase Neck

Body
Model: Standard Explorer
Orientation: Right handed
Core Wood: Swamp Ash
Rout: Rear Rout
Neck Pickup: Humbucker (Neck)
Middle Pickup: None (Middle)
Bridge Pickup: Humbucker (Brdg)
Bridge, Fixed: TOM/STP, Ang Pock
Output Jack: 3/4" Side
Scale: 25-1/2 in.
Battery Box: Single
Wood Pieces: One Piece

Neck
Headstock: Explorer
Construction: Warmoth Pro
Orientation: Right Handed
Shaft Wood: Canary
Fingerboard: Ebony
Nut Width: 1 11/16"
Back Contour: Standard thin
Fretwire: 6150
Tuner ream: Gotoh/Grover (13/32", 11/32")
Fret Number: 22
Radius: 10-16" Compound
Inlays: Mother Of Pearl Face Dots
Nut Install: White Corian
Neck Finish: No Finish
Scale: 25-1/2 in.

The pick-ups and pots are already waiting in the box at home, just need to paint the body and neck before I start the actual build.
Last edited by LouieTM at Aug 3, 2009,