I've been really big on Paramore lately.

What are some good picks for that sorta genre?
Last edited by lukeylynch at Aug 2, 2009,
FFS there strings, choose one's that you like, there's way to many to just say "here, use these". Try out a bunch and choose the one's you like most
I'd say mediums.

Since thins are better for chugging and tremolo picking IMO. And not many punk bands really do any of that...

And heavies... I dont know what the hell those are for.
Try a quarter or other pocket change.

It's the same as strings, ALL preference.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
any pick will do what you make it do.

a pic will not change your tone a whole lot, its in your fingers
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Paramore isn't punk...

But, thick picks are good for fast rhythm playing. Thin picks are too floppy for fast, tight rhythm and trem picking, at least in my experience.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Once again, ANYTHING works. Just use what you like the best.

By the way, Paramore is pop.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by STABxYOU
Paramore isn't punk...

But, thick picks are good for fast rhythm playing. Thin picks are too floppy for fast, tight rhythm and trem picking, at least in my experience.

I mostly agree with you. I use thins, Brain .53 mm and I play pretty fast music, lots of Silverstein and From Autumn to Ashes. And they use a fair amount of chugging and riffing.

In my own music, I tremolo pick. Infact, so does my guitar teacher. We use the same picks. I have a difficult time tremolo picking with a thicker pick. I broke many strings tremolo picking with a thick pick.

And the only time i ever feel the need to use heavy pick is when I really want my chords to ring out and I feel like I'm beating my strings to death. Which is a fun, sick feeling.

Sooo... since punk really doesn't have much going for it besides chords and "epic" octave solo's... I'd say mediums and thicker mediums (.70mm-.80mm) would be fine...
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
I mostly agree with you. I use thins, Brain .53 mm and I play pretty fast music, lots of Silverstein and From Autumn to Ashes. And they use a fair amount of chugging and riffing.

In my own music, I tremolo pick. Infact, so does my guitar teacher. We use the same picks. I have a difficult time tremolo picking with a thicker pick. I broke many strings tremolo picking with a thick pick.

And the only time i ever feel the need to use heavy pick is when I really want my chords to ring out and I feel like I'm beating my strings to death. Which is a fun, sick feeling.

Sooo... since punk really doesn't have much going for it besides chords and "epic" octave solo's... I'd say mediums and thicker mediums (.70mm-.80mm) would be fine...

I always use 1.14s, anything thinner feels floppy and lacks the tip control I'm used to.

But, I think we're sort of underscoring the point, everyone's preferences are different and the only way to know is to try a bunch and see what works for you.

Regarding trem picking and chugs, there's lots of it in some genres of punk, other genres have none whatsoever.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Last edited by STABxYOU at Aug 2, 2009,
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
I have a difficult time tremolo picking with a thicker pick. I broke many strings tremolo picking with a thick pick.

You're probably doing something wrong if you're breaking the ****ing strings just trem picking.