Page 1 of 2
Are Marshalls still one of the best amp makers ? or are they meh now.
I tried out a few heads from them and they sound pretty good
Ive decided to buy one.....
I either the Jcm2000 dsl or the vintage modern 2266
*which is better* ?

Also is 50 watt version enough ? im mostly playing in churches, pubs, and on occasion outdoor events.
Reason im asking is because sometimes I feel my 50 watt tube Traynor I have to crank it quite a bit almost to max for outdoor stuff....so id rather get a 100 watt one if its not enough.

Last thing, how do I find out if a head is compatible with a cab.
im going to travel a bit and most likely i wont be bringing my cab ...so ya

I play blues, classic rock, rock, jazz, funk, punk, ... NOT metal
27mMoV31II7.a2
I recently got A DSL 401 (40 watt) and I'd definately recommend it.

Is Marshall still one of the best? definately.
1. I think most of their modern stuff isn't as groundbreaking as their older stuff (JCM 800, Plexi, JTM 45) but they're still decent. Way overpriced, too ($2,000 for a JCM 800 reissue? $3,000 for a Plexi reissue with INCORRECT parts? no thx) and the MG line blights them.

2. Out of those I'd go for the JCM 2000, but that's just because I like two channels.

3. 50 watts is "enough", sure, but 100 watts isn't a big jump from 50. The difference is more in how high you can put the volume on the amp before it starts to distort.

4. Find out the ohms of the cab, and if the head can go to that setting. If it can't, get a different cab.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Overrated? In my opinion, yes.
Overpriced? Most high-end gear is, and most lower-level Marshall gear sucks ass (my opinion of course).
Perfect? Hell no.
One of the best? I don't believe so, but that's my opinion. I'd say there's quite a few companies that blow Marshall out of the water.

Anyway, 50watt all-valve is definitely loud enough. If it needs it, you can mic it up anyway but 50 watt should be nice and loud. I'd say the JCM2000DSL as I haven't tried a Vintage Modern so am not sure, but I heard mixed opinions.

As for 'compatability', well the wattage should be fine with all cabs you're likely to find, and you have to match the Ohmage of the head with that of the cab. Luckily, most cabs have multiple inputs for varying Ohmages, so you should be alright most of the time. If it's a Marshall you buy, I'd hazard a guess it's gonna be 8 Ohms mono, but I don't own any Marshalls. My H&K can be 4 or 16 mono and 8 stereo

Edit: Pretty much as stated by above poster ^^
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Aug 2, 2009,
Marshall is all 3

they are overrated overpriced and absoletley perfect.

as for the Vm or DSL they are both good amps I like the VM more personally but the DSL is a great amp
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Yes, yes, and yes.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
you could probably spend the same amount of money and get a great Marshall based boutique amp or clone of a vintage Marshall but if you're into the more modern Marshall tone then those two will do just fine.
Quote by stoo666
I recently got A DSL 401 (40 watt) and I'd definately recommend it.

Is Marshall still one of the best? definately.

Ditto. I got one of these and I love it. I can get so many tones out of it. Though I think a cranked Plexi sounds better for my playing style, JCM2000 is good enough for me.
have you tried a supersonic?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I was actually looking at Orange amps..but I found them to be not very versitile in terms of function and tone.

I actually dig my traynor tone..but I want somethign nicer
27mMoV31II7.a2
Marshall is still top of their game- made in england by hand. I think that they aren't overpriced for what you get, and overall you can't blame them for not being groundbreaking, mainly because they broke the new ground a while ago. The JCM 2000 is a great head. To see if the head and cab are compatible, see if the cab can handle the wattage of the head, and also see if the ohms match (usually by a switch in the back)
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
If you like the traynor, stick with the traynor. They're quality amps. Marshalls aren't any better than traynors in terms of sound or quality. New marshalls are pretty big rip off in the US, IMO. If you have enough for a new DSL, then you have enough to get a silver jubilee clone, or a jcm800 used if you look around. Hell, you could probably get a splawn competition for that price if you got lucky and found one used.

I won't say the marshall is bad, but at that price range there's lots of other good stuff to check out which IMO is gonna be more bang for the buck.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
ya i was thinking...just get a traynor YCS100 head
cuz that one looks pretty sick and is 3 channle
27mMoV31II7.a2
^ I wouldn't go for the "upgrade".

What exactly do you want in an amp? You could consider selling your Traynor for some sort of old Marshall clone like a Ceriatone. For now the Traynor is probably good compared to the modern Marshalls.
oh really?
cuz im the type of guy who will buy the best for what i can afford and keep it for a long time...thats why i wanted to get a marshal cuz theyre supposedly the "best"..u know what i mean
27mMoV31II7.a2
Overrated to hell, very overpriced, and not perfect at all. Good? Yes, but definitely not "perfect".
^^What don't you like your amp that would make you want to get the larger version with more features? Features don't make a good amp, tone makes a good amp. I liked the YCS I played so I don't know if you need to upgrade unless there is something about the amp that you don't like.
Last edited by acdcrocks0323 at Aug 3, 2009,
i want to upgrade because I want a head instead of a combo now that im going to travel a lot more by plane ...also with heads i can play with different cabs
ALSO 100 watts is good if i ever do big venues (which i do sometimes)
27mMoV31II7.a2
Like said before, the difference between 50 watts and 100 watts isn't really anything to be concerned with. I think you should go get a Ceriatone Plexi50 Lead w/ master volume and half wattage switch. It will be $840 plus shipping (hefty shipping charge) for the amp completely built with head cabinet. Very worth the investment.
Quote by Antimage27
i want to upgrade because I want a head instead of a combo now that im going to travel a lot more by plane ...also with heads i can play with different cabs
ALSO 100 watts is good if i ever do big venues (which i do sometimes)

My H&K Switchblade is 100W all-valve and I honestly do not need all that headroom... the most I go on stage in a large venue is usually about half-way/just over with the master volume, and that's without even the lead channel's channel volume on full! If anything, I get asked to turn down by sound engineers to lower the onstage volume

100W all-valve is VERY loud.

Edit: And when I said big venues, I meant places that hold a few thousand people. And I think any bigger and I would still be fine if my amp wasn't 100W.
Quote by Antimage27
oh really?
cuz im the type of guy who will buy the best for what i can afford and keep it for a long time...thats why i wanted to get a marshal cuz theyre supposedly the "best"..u know what i mean

That's EXACTLY how I'm thinking too. Why buy mediocre stuff that you have to sell later on anyways? I say you get less for your money if you buy some Peavey or whatever for 500 bucks that you keep for a year or two, rather than buying a Marshall for 2000 bucks and keep for a life time.
EDIT: Sure, it's different if you're buying your first guitar because you don't even know if you'll like it or not, but for a player who knows he'll never stop, I say go for it.
I bought a Marshall that I'll keep forever
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Last edited by Hultan at Aug 3, 2009,
Quote by Hultan
That's EXACTLY how I'm thinking too. Why buy mediocre stuff that you have to sell later on anyways? I say you get less for your money if you buy some Peavey or whatever for 500 bucks that you keep for a year or two, rather than buying a Marshall for 2000 bucks and keep for a life time.
I bought a Marshall that I'll keep forever

I'd take a Peavey XXX or 5150 (ok, 6505 nowadays) over most Marshall's to be honest. And Marshall are definitely not the 'best' by most professional's standards. Their quality control these days is allegedly pretty poor, and the vast majority of the cheaper Marshall range suck major ass.

You're right however about the buying of quality gear as early as it's worth having, rather than slowly upgrading each item through various stages.

At one point, until I got the LAG guitar mentioned in my sig. I was playing a sub-£500 guitar through a £1,700 head/cab... a lot of people told me to get a better guitar first but I am glad I waited it out 'til I could afford the guitar I dreamed of, as well as the amp I dreamed of.
Overpriced?: Yeah... Really, just about all high-end amps are overpriced IMO...
Overrated?: Yeah, but some of them aren't. The Plexi stuff, JCM800, Silver Jubilee, those are all amazing amps and deserve their fame and praise.

Also, A JCM2000 sounds like it'd suit you fine. Though I'd look into other brands aswell.
Over priced for sure. Them and Gibson. Just because your good doesn't mean get greedy.
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Silverburst Epiphone Les Paul Custom
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
Marshall is more of a "big rock star" amp. too british sounding for most blues. I don't know why the GC's King of the Blues put a Marshall and a LP for a blues prize. A fender amp and an ES-345 would be the perfect blues rig. of course, it all depends on your definition of "Blues"(Duane Allman, or Hubert Sumlin)

Of course, if someone wanted to give me a Marshall, I would accept. Not for the price they sell them at tho.
I consider all sorts of marshalls as blues amps. I don't know what you are smokin' man.

JTM45, or superlead rig a bell? how about the bluesbreaker?
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Marshalls aren't any more expensive than they were 40 years ago. Take into account inflation guys, it's got a huge effect on how much things cost. People couldn't just walk into a guitar store and drop $500 as easily as we do today.

They're ALWAYS been expensive, as have Fenders, etc. etc. etc. (any high end amp)

The difference now is that there are amps that are relatively dirt cheap in comparison, thus making Marshalls look like poor values price wise. Anyway, I still like a JTM45 better for blues and '60s blues rock ala Clapton or Peter Green, than any other amp.
In my opinion, they ride very heavily on their past reputation. Also, they are very expensive for what you get. That said, occasionally they do strike gold again and when they do, it's gorgeous.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Bostonrocks
I consider all sorts of marshalls as blues amps. I don't know what you are smokin' man.

JTM45, or superlead rig a bell? how about the bluesbreaker?

They're a british blues amp...and they were really good amps. The Bluesbreaker is the same as a JTM45 btw..just with 6L6's instead of EL84's.

Have you ever seen BB King, Buddy Guy, or Hubert Sumlin rollin with a Marshall in the boot...not really. Not many true bluesmen use the british amps. Eric doesn't even use them anymore, and stopped using them after cream(thank god). The only Marshall tone I like is from the Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton, but it was essentially a Fender with "Marshall" on it. Around the 70's was Eric's best tone.

Name some REAL blues players who always choose Marshalls
Joe Bonamassa
Billy Gibbons
Hendrix (For the most part)
Page
Peter Green (For the most part)
Jeff Beck (does he count to you?)

I count Eric Clapton. he used marshalls more than fenders. other than the 70s.

he still bring a marshall on stage.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at Aug 3, 2009,
Quote by Bostonrocks
Joe Bonamassa
Billy Gibbons
Hendrix (For the most part)
Page
Peter Green (For the most part)

aight, ya got me at Hendrix, but Don't even let me rant on how much of an overrated Rock Star Page is. Billy Gibbons, eh, ya got me at him too. Idk about Green.

now give me a list of bluesmen who dont use marshall.

pretty easy right?

EDIT: CLAPTON??!!! He hasn't used a marshall since his 1 tour in the 80s when he had that firebird! Everywhere else in his solo career, he relied on a Fender. I'm not saying that Fender is the ultimate blues amp, just saying that marshall isn't.
Last edited by willwelsh816 at Aug 3, 2009,
Page IS Overrated but is still a blues guy at heart.

Green used Marshalls and Oranges
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Eh, Page is a great producer at best, but I guess he's a talented guitarist, he was either too drunk or too high on heroin to play through a strait concert without phucking up.

draw at Green, but as you can see, all of the people except for Gibbons was British. Not many bluesmen of America seem to like that british sound, I'm not a huge fan of it either. I would much rather take a Fender Twin Reverb for free, than a Marshall Plexi for free. I guess it's opinion, but once again, it depends on your definition of Blues(British<American for me )
Quote by willwelsh816
They're a british blues amp...and they were really good amps. The Bluesbreaker is the same as a JTM45 btw..just with 6L6's instead of EL84's.

Have you ever seen BB King, Buddy Guy, or Hubert Sumlin rollin with a Marshall in the boot...not really. Not many true bluesmen use the british amps. Eric doesn't even use them anymore, and stopped using them after cream(thank god). The only Marshall tone I like is from the Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton, but it was essentially a Fender with "Marshall" on it. Around the 70's was Eric's best tone.

Name some REAL blues players who always choose Marshalls
JTM45 and bluesbreaker are actually the exact same amp, Jim Marshall lifted Clapton's JTM45 chassis out of the head cabinet to make first bluesbreaker combo. Same circuit, KT66 based.

But I definitely count Clapton as a Marshall player. I'd say that the tweed Bassman sounds more like a Marshall than a JTM45 sounds like a Fender (yes, I realize how illogical that is...). But I agree with his tone being very Fenderish at times on Bluesbreakers, especially the lead tone, it just has that distinct cranked Fender sizzle. Ironically enough, my JTM45 sounds nothing like a Fender, actually it sounds very much like an overweight plexi. Really goes to show how much a tube change can affect your sound.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 3, 2009,
Page 1 of 2