What settings/effects do you use to get a John Petrucci tone. His tone and style are so versatile. He goes from heavy to clean to lead all in the same song. I got an ibanez prestige and and esp fx both with emgs and a mesa/boogie dual rectifer.
Last time I checked you can't imitate Jesus?
Neverender:SSTB 4/19

Goddamn this cursed iron fist. When I lose control!

[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']You, sir, win epically.
Quote by MasterExploder0
Last time I checked you can't imitate Jesus?

Sure you can. Nail a 10" spike into each of your palms
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
you should be able to get fairly close to his tone with that gear you're going to need lots of delay and to dial a very smooth tone with tons of gain. you could also try some of the dimarzio pickups he uses
"Guitars are toys for me, too much fun all the time."-Paul Gilbert

Gear:
Homemade Mahogany Guitar with SD humbuckers
Carvin Legacy VL100 Head
Carvin Legacy 2x12 Cab with V30s
Line 6 Pod X3
John Petrucci Uses The Drop Sonic + Airnorton Pair of pickups in his past guitars but as of recent has a set of his own custom pickups.
Im a real big fan of John Petrucci but i play in a band and my gear gets the tone i need so i don't want any new gear. Any1 no the settings he uses for distortion and stuff like that. Im really not looking to copy him or use all the gear he uses just in my spare time like to play some of his stuff.
Last edited by xXBoneYardsXx at Aug 2, 2009,
Mess with your EQ and gain? That's the best we can tell you. You may have some trouble with the EMGs though.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
EMGs r not that bad they have pretty decent clean tones. I play in a metalcore band think parkway drive so i need a real heavy thick sound also works b/c i play alot metallica.
I was thinking about getting a BC Rich ASM or Eagle with some dimarzio blackouts would that handle it
petrucci runs his amps with pretty much no bass on the eq at all. i watched an interview with him and he said he has the bass all the way off or only on 1 or 2. i agree with everyone else, you should be able to get a pretty close petrucci tone with a rectifier, just experiment
Quote by samlocke14
petrucci runs his amps with pretty much no bass on the eq at all. i watched an interview with him and he said he has the bass all the way off or only on 1 or 2. i agree with everyone else, you should be able to get a pretty close petrucci tone with a rectifier, just experiment

That sounds VERY wrong.
Last i checked Petrucci has one of the Bassiest tones I have never heard!
Quote by xXBoneYardsXx
What settings/effects do you use to get a John Petrucci tone.

About $4891983489123481097532141235009283453241234 worth of rack effects.
^Agreed

EDIT: Goddammit. At two posters above. This happens to me ALL THE TIME >:0
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta
Peavey Vypyr 15 for teh lulz

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
all the effects u would need delay reverb distortion wah i use boss for everything execpt wah i use dunlop
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']That sounds VERY wrong.
Last i checked Petrucci has one of the Bassiest tones I have never heard!

no, i can vouche for him, i forget where i've seen it/read it.. But petrucci did infact say that.. Ive never seen em live so i can't judge, but he did say that.

[quote="'[xXBoneYardsXx"]']Im a real big fan of John Petrucci but i play in a band and my gear gets the tone i need so i don't want any new gear. Any1 no the settings he uses for distortion and stuff like that. Im really not looking to copy him or use all the gear he uses just in my spare time like to play some of his stuff.

Yeah, i did'nt see what your rig was, but his settings won't help nor get you anywhere close really.

[quote="'[Koshman32"]']Sure you can. Nail a 10" spike into each of your palms

Ha, brillant answer
I play in a metalcore band like parkway drive or august burns red as for my gear i got a ibanez prestige and a esp ex both with emgs. i was just looking to **** around play some petrucci play some softier stuff crazy solos cause im always playin heavy stuff
He has a dual rectifier.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t25AOSxZZkI
Heres an example of pertuccis lead tone.
Use your ears to find it out?
hmmm...

A Mesa Mark IV or V?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']He has a dual rectifier.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t25AOSxZZkI
Heres an example of pertuccis lead tone.
Use your ears to find it out?
yea hes amazing but thats not like his dream theater or liquid tension stuff it sounds more like satriani sound but he's amazing ill just listen to some of his stuff and play around with my amp.

kinda off topic wat guitar would u use to get a brighter sound like a petrucci solo stuff or satriani sound
Last edited by xXBoneYardsXx at Aug 3, 2009,
Quote by xXBoneYardsXx
yea hes amazing but thats not like his dream theater or liquid tension stuff it sounds more like satriani sound but he's amazing ill just listen to some of his stuff and play around with my amp

His tone changes a lot.
I like his tone on Octavarium the best.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I never said John Petrucci has a Dual Recifier I said the TS has a Dual Rectifier.

sorry, was the post was written just seemed like you meant petrucci, no big deal..
I think on most of their stuff he used the Mark IIC+ alot most their albums before train of thought then he used rectifiers and the mark 4
"Guitars are toys for me, too much fun all the time."-Paul Gilbert

Gear:
Homemade Mahogany Guitar with SD humbuckers
Carvin Legacy VL100 Head
Carvin Legacy 2x12 Cab with V30s
Line 6 Pod X3
Quote by Carrionshine
sorry, was the post was written just seemed like you meant petrucci, no big deal..

Sorry If that came off raged at all, I was simply stating.
Petrucci is very good though,
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Sorry If that came off raged at all, I was simply stating.
Petrucci is very good though,

ha yeah np, my friends who saw DT live last year said his tone was really bassy tho and extremely loud... I wanna experience that. =P
Quote by samlocke14

Isn't this an old school trick for not getting lost in your volume?

Petrucci might be one of those guys that's all finger tone.
Quote by Nolan4
I think on most of their stuff he used the Mark IIC+ alot most their albums before train of thought then he used rectifiers and the mark 4

For most of the earlier albums (Images and Words, Awake) he used a Mark IIC+, Train Of Thought was with a Triaxis, and he still uses Mark 4's and possibly 5's now, as well as a Lonestar for his cleans. He also used a Roadking/ster for Suspended Animation.
Last edited by littlephil at Aug 3, 2009,
Quote by xXBoneYardsXx
EMGs r not that bad they have pretty decent clean tones. I play in a metalcore band think parkway drive so i need a real heavy thick sound also works b/c i play alot metallica.
I was thinking about getting a BC Rich ASM or Eagle with some dimarzio blackouts would that handle it

Duncan Blackouts mate.. but I can tell you now that he uses passives so trying actives ain't gonna cut it

... And petrucci has a set of signature Humbuckers out at DiMarzio I think, try those.
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Quote by xXBoneYardsXx
all the effects u would need delay reverb distortion wah i use boss for everything execpt wah i use dunlop

umm, err. "good stuff" is quite the subjective term here. i would suggest using your amps distortion for a petrucci tone, and having a reverb/delay on at the same time is a bit redundant.

also, to note: you should try achieving your sound sans effects, than using them to color where necessary. having "good stuff" will not make yourself sound "good".
I think the reason John's tone sounds so bassy is because DT doesn't turn down Myung's bass a whole bunch. Well, at least they used to not turn his bass down.