Yes, another thread about Writer's Block. What I want this thread to be is one where I forward techniques I've used myself when I've found myself staring at a piece of paper or a computer screen wondering what the hell do I do now? Also, if anyone else has any ideas not included in the list below then please feel free to post them.

A lot of people I've noticed have come across this problem, where the inkwell has run dry, when they cannot write a single thing no matter how hard they try. It's all in the mind. I myself have been struck down by this virus a few times and i've tried different techniques in combating it. Here are some which hopefully will help you.

1) Use the technique known as "chunking" which in layman's terms means to shorten your sentences, paragraphs etc. not to dumb down in any way but to make your writing a lot similar, writing down only the main points or words in the song/poem (from here onwards, known as a "pong") or creating bullet points of the plot in place of a fully-structured "pong." This creates a quicker and more streamlined way to create at least a basis for a "pong" rather than writing it out in full first time. Then when you're happy, fill the gaps in.

2) Try some free writing. This is when you have a notepad and pen around you at all times of the day and when you think of a line you like, just write it down. Continue to do this for a few days, and soon you'll have a plethora of great little lines you've accumulated for you to build up on. This is probably the most effective technique in the list and I suggest you try this first.

3) If you're into drawing, when you think of a story, instead of writing it, draw it. If it comes to it, treat the story as a comic strip, then take it from there.

4) Writer's block is often attributed to the fact that you've used your creativity. A sublimely simple yet oft-neglected way to gain that creativity back is to forget about writing for a day or two and try something else you haven't done before. If you don't play guitar, start learning. This sparks those little neuron things in your brain, causing you to think more freely.

5) Aerobic exercises, especially going out for a walk for a couple of hours. People are more creative when the brain is well oxygenated, so get outside, do some exercise, have a little rest then get some writing done. You'll be surprised how much this helps.

6) Schedule your work. Pick a couple of hours during the day where you will do nothing but write. This way, you're less likely to be distracted by friends moaning about being bored or whether you should order a pizza or see a film. When you schedule your day, you're more organised, you're clear-headed, and the words will flow.

7) If you tend to find yourself writing about the same subject, write about something else. So, for example, if you're writing about how the hot sixteen-year-old girl next door never notices you and you feel lonely, try writing about a dystopian world of the future where there's no money or religion, no governments. Just an example, but this opens your mind up to new ideas.

8) Finally, we have this very site. Put your name down for as many writing contests as possible. With the vast array of subjects you're told to write about, you will nearly always find something new to write about. Plus, the deadlines of two or three days will force you to spend more time on the actual planning, which may not always happen if you're writing on a whim.

Now, I wouldn't call myself an expert on Writer's Block, I do know enough about it through experience to know what works and what doesn't. If any questions about this subject arise, feel free to ask.

PS. This isn't the usual thread to be placed here, so if any Mods think this may not be necessary, then I apologise and you can do what you wish with it. Which you'll no doubt do anyway.
This is really helpful, thanks for taking the time to write it all out! I use 1 and 8 very often.
Great thread! I'm saving this on my PS3 to read when I need help getting out of a writer's block.
talk to me
and i better not hear a word
do me baby
i better not feel it girl
i still got one bullet left in my nine
finna do a love crime
love crime
finna do a love crime

lovecrimes -- frank ocean

Tumblr
I tend do do 4 a lot. Thanks for posting this, this could be helpful for a lot of people
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Very helpful of you... thanks for taking the time to write it all out like this!
Quote by mamosa
Sticky this NAO!

I agree.
Gear:

St. Blues Bluesmaster IV
Vox AC4- ah-mazing lil amp
Roland Micro Cube- 1st amp... pretty crappy
a whole lotta picks

Am I the only one who has WON
THE GAME?

Considering the number of stickies in here already and the fact that there's already a section discussing writer's block in the Songwriting and Lyrics Tips Thread I thought instead it might be best just to provide a link to this thread in there. In reality people should be skimming through that thread first before they post a new one in here anyways.
I like this, overall, and I think it would be helpful for a minor case of writer's block - which is the point, of course, but I have to contest a few things, for clarification, and maybe the debate will encourage some... I don't know - writing.

I speak from experience when I say that simply keeping a notebook around you all day is not necessarily encouragement to write, especially when suffering from a block. For me, it's sort of counterproductive, a constant reminder that I have nothing to write, and for me personally, the day I run out of things to write for good is the day it'll all be up for me, no question. So that notebook in my pocket, or wedged between the shifter and my seat in the car, or in my right armpit as I walk, hands in my pockets and head down, clicking the pen to no avail - this is the most discouraging thing in the world, and makes me want to not write, just to spite it.

So I offer this: unless you have an imperative deadline for a piece (in which case you might just call in sick and lose the gig rather than submit something that didn't come from your heart), put the pen down. Stay away from the computer for a while (I know that can be incredibly difficult for the younger generation, but there is a world outside, with all sorts of inspiration in it. Go outside and find it), and stop trying to write.

You know those times you've come up with an absolutely clever line and it looks good, sounds good, and says something meaningful - but it's only half a stanza and you haven't made your point yet, so you immediately try to follow it up with something cheeky, a thought that usually stems from how you felt about the first line? This is that time. You're trying too hard, and what you're producing is a magnifying glass worth of desperation. Your want to write - your need to write will not fade in a day or two, or even a week. Refresh yourself with something else and return to this love when it calls to you. It will; I promise.
Last edited by spike_8bkp at Sep 2, 2009,
meditation is another great way to get rid of it
Gonna make the mountains be my home....

"A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through"-Robert Hunter
Quote by Fearless(Times)
Great thread! I'm saving this on my PS3 to read when I need help getting out of a writer's block.

Right over my head with this one sounds like your setting yourself up for more writers block ;p

mmmmm what to right is that an exploding body i see? *picks up controller*
Wow thanks! Haha I always have writers block, then I write something decent, then can't write something good for a while, then I pump out like 5 in a day and then can't for another week or something haha.
I have another tip! Used to work for me. Should apply this technique again myself :-p

Sit down and think of something you want to write about. Try to capture it in just one word, like "light", or "water", or "spinning". Try to avoid themes that are too general. If you insist on a theme like "love", try to specify what kind of love you want to write about: unanswered love, love for your best friend, ...

Then, set an alarm or a timer for a time you choose yourself (anything from half a minute to three minutes is fine) and just start writhing down words you associate with the term you wrote down before. The trick is to avoid writing full sentences - 'cause these are the ones that get you stuck. Just try to write down words, or (if you can) combinations of words that sound good together.

After the timer finishes, you can read what you wrote down and skim the ideas you don't like. What you're left with, are the ideas you can start to work with!

Another tip for when you're writing: you can never write too much, meaning: you can always take stuff out again. It's much harder when you need 3 more sentences and you're stuck. So write as much as you can when you're in a drive!
Personally, I've found reading books helps me overcome writer's blocks. I was stuck with a block in January right as my English class was assigned to read The Scarlet Letter and Fahrenheit 451. After I finished, I flowed with ideas, because not only did it help me remember my vocabulary, but I was also able to grasp many of the different themes and undertones presented in those novels, and thus I wrote on my interpretations of said themes.
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Custom Fender MIM Black Strat
-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
I suggested meditation in another thread an all hell broke loose in there. I was told to come back to earth....LOL!
It really DOES work. I use it every time I write
Dæmönika, you're my new best friend. =)
East Lansing High School
Class of 2013

Loading Haters
████████████████]
99% Complete