Hi everyone,

I'm willing to mod my strat by putting a P-90 pickup in the bridge. Mainly to have that midrange growl that gives that sweet nasty rock sound...

Do you guys have any pickup recommandations ?
Do you know if "F-Spaced" P-90 pickups exist ?

Thanks
This is relevant to my interests.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
If your strat is routed for a humbucker, then it would only be a matter of getting a new poickguard (I think).

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
I don't know about F-spaced P90's, but if you want to be safe, why not just throw it in the neck?
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
If your strat is routed for a humbucker, then it would only be a matter of getting a new poickguard (I think).

My strat (S-500) has a swimming pool route. I'll be ordering a custom Warmoth P90/SC/SC pickguard if needed.

The only question now would be finding the right pickup, f-spaced if possible.
I don't know if there are f-spaced P-90s out there, but you should definitely check out lollar pickups there are really amazing
Well there aren't any F-spaced P90s from what I know. But using a reulgar would work, I'd think. Just look at Simon Townshend!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
If I'm correct, using a non-F-spaced P90 would still sound fine, just be less attractive.

Anyways, this is relevant to my interests too. I was thinking of gettin a double P90 setup for a Strat I'm modding for my girlfriend.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Shouldnt need a F-spaced p90, not that Ive ever seen any. Most modern strats have the narrower string spacing vs the older vintage wide spacing that needs the f spacing. I have a set of the phat cat p90s in my strat everything lines up fine.
Quote by theacousticpunk
I don't know about F-spaced P90's, but if you want to be safe, why not just throw it in the neck?

Because he wants it in the bridge, dumbass!
you shouldnt need an f spaced, speaking that it does not have a floyd rose... but correct me if i am wrong, that is what i thought the f stood for. go for a standard soapbar pickup and get a pickguard from warmoth

spacing wise, warmoth says that there will not be enough room for a volume knob if you add a p90 to the bridge, so i would recomend that you make your first tone knob a master volume and the second tone knob a master tone knob.
GEAR:
1959 Vintage Gibson Melody Maker
Fender Stratocaster
Martin OMM
Epi Les Paul Std
Pitchblack
Dunlop Wah
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Palomino V16

For pictures of my gear click http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr8/spoutz/Guitar Gear/?albumview=grid nao!

-Matt

Sláinte

The whole f-spaced thing is purely aesthetics. You don't need it so there is no problems.
Quote by spootz
you shouldnt need an f spaced, speaking that it does not have a floyd rose... but correct me if i am wrong, that is what i thought the f stood for. go for a standard soapbar pickup and get a pickguard from warmoth

spacing wise, warmoth says that there will not be enough room for a volume knob if you add a p90 to the bridge, so i would recomend that you make your first tone knob a master volume and the second tone knob a master tone knob.

I thought the "F" in F-spaced stood for "Fender" but I'm not sure about it...
I guess i'll just stick to a normal P-90

btw, warmoth offers a special "D-long" volume option in order to allow the three standard strat knobs, the master volume is just a bit shifted towards the 5-way selector.

you guys have advices on pickups anyway ?
There was a time when "f" space did mean fender as they had a much wider string spacing at the bridge. But my 2 strats have the same string spread as my LP. There are 2 different kinds of p90s. The dog ear style would not leave room for a vol knob in the traditional place on a strat. But a soapbar should. Both are direct mount so wouldnt come off with the pickguard like single coils and humbuckers do.
Quote by Tackleberry
There was a time when "f" space did mean fender as they had a much wider string spacing at the bridge. But my 2 strats have the same string spread as my LP. There are 2 different kinds of p90s. The dog ear style would not leave room for a vol knob in the traditional place on a strat. But a soapbar should. Both are direct mount so wouldnt come off with the pickguard like single coils and humbuckers do.

Or you could just get a humbucker sized P90, like a Gibson P94 etc.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
Or you could just get a humbucker sized P90, like a Gibson P94 etc.

Well as I have a universal pickup route, I take that opportunity to get the real stuff
If I had a HSS or HSH routing I would've done that for sure though...

Quote by Tackleberry

Well I'm not sure about that as Warmoth says the P90/SC/SC config. is incompatible with the normal volume position so I don't know... Anyways I'll be putting it in my strat that is top-routed so I don't see why I would direct mount it.
Last edited by slappyx at Aug 3, 2009,
Thats the way traditional p90s are mounted with the screws going thru the pickup or the ears into the body w springs or foam under them. Soapbars there really isnt any other way to mount them. The dog ears the ears have larger holes for wood screws vs smaller threaded holes for machine screws and pickguard/pickup ring. Its why many go with the humbucker sized ones as you dont need special routing or the direct mounting and will work w regular trim rings or pickguards. .