I pulled out my Crate GX-30M this past Friday to find it made a horrible buzzing when I played the low strings (4th 5th and 6th) on my guitar.

I pulled out the speaker, and ran it on my other Crate amp, and the problem persisted. I realized then that the speaker was the issue

After inspecting the speaker, I realized that there's a small hole in the dust cap. It's a fabric dust cap, BTW.

Here's a pic of my amp:

Here's a pic of the speaker:

The hole isn't that big; it's probably about the size of the tip of a pen. It might not even be a break all the way through the speaker; it's hard to tell.

In case that helps.

So would replacing the dust cap fix my problem?

Thanks
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
Well I'm no expert, but I think if the hole is there, then replacing where the hole is should fix it. That's my 2 cents.
Quote by higgins666
Tape it up

If you tape it, use electrical tape, not scotch. Scotch will burn. That might fix it.
Quote by higgins666
Yeah, should have specified, electrical tape, it fixes any musical equipment problem

Could it fix me not having a Gibson Explorer?

I wouldn't tape it once, I'd tape it like an X or maybe a Star. Just my opinion
Quote by DisasterMatt
If you tape it, use electrical tape, not scotch. Scotch will burn. That might fix it.

I'm thinking black electrical tape.

But will I have to clean out the hole first? Just in case dust got in it or something?
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
Okay, I tried the black electrical tape approach; the problem persists.

Now what? Do I try and replace the dust cap? The hole (if it's even a hole) is so small, I think the problem is more than that.

Here's the hole:

Here's a pic of the base of the cone:

Any thoughts?
just get a new one

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Best way of reapairing a ripped cone is tissue paper and PVA glue gently pasted around the tear. I see no reason why it wouldn't work on the dustcap too.

Has the dustcap accidentally been turned inside out, by any chance?
Quote by kyle62
Has the dustcap accidentally been turned inside out, by any chance?

Not that I know of; although I bought the amp second-hand, so anything's possible.