18 28%
Marshall MG100DFX 100 watt halfstack
30 46%
Don't play the gig, leave
17 26%
Voters: 65.
Ok
Say you were in metal band.
Say you were at a gig and your amp blew a fuse right before you went on. The other two band's guitarists came up to you and offered you their amps. One had a MG100dfx half stack, and the other had a Line 6 Spider III halfstack. You still have your pedalboard (which contains an OD, a delay, a reverb, a phaser and a wah). Which amp do you decide to use? Which effects do you use with it? Do you use the amp's distortion? Or do you just walk off the stage?

Not that this ever happened to me, but it happened to my friend. I'm just wondering what you would do......

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
i would take the MG any day.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
No
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
at this point.....i would just buy buy a cheaper fender amp and a decent dist pedal.
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Mesa Boogie Single rectifier
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Both, run em in stereo.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
hmm, what kind of metal? I'm not into like really hardcore death/black metal stuff. So i assume doom metal or metallica like thrash. If so then I'll take the spider and use a wah, maybe phaser and the reverb. If it was like super duper hardcore stuff the MG
THAT'S what you're choosing from? That's equivalent to saying "Should I eat dog **** or cat ****?"
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
lets say Metallica type stuff. Not too heavy.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Mg
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Last edited by IdntNedUrCvlWar at Aug 2, 2009,
Quote by gregs1020
this wont end well... ide choose drums...

+1

I'd actually borrow a bass amp and a distortion pedal
i'd just play unplugged and make the effects with my mouth, it would sound better this way.
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Mesa Boogie Single rectifier
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
I'd leave and say that my girlfriend was going into labor or something. If I'm gigging, I'm doing it for money, and I don't want my performance f-ed up by terrible amps. I'd rather just drop the show.
just my opinion but the MG you can actually dial in some alright sounding tone...but the spider is just UGH

again.... my opinion
27mMoV31II7.a2
MG. I've gigged with one before, and I really don't give a sh!t about my live tone as long as the people watching like it.

I'm only finicky about how I sound on record.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by Seref
I'd leave and say that my girlfriend was going into labor or something. If I'm gigging, I'm doing it for money, and I don't want my performance f-ed up by terrible amps. I'd rather just drop the show.

hahaha thats a bit dramatic... DUE TO THE INTEGRITY OF MY SOUND, I WILL STOP PLAYING!
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
I would replace the fuse with fuses that I always keep on hand when I go to gigs.
Fender '04 Strat
MiM Sunburst with Maple Neck

Ibanez TS-808
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall JTM60
Quote by jc349
Ok
Say you were in metal band.
Say you were at a gig and your amp blew a fuse right before you went on. The other two band's guitarists came up to you and offered you their amps. One had a MG100dfx half stack, and the other had a Line 6 Spider III halfstack. You still have your pedalboard (which contains an OD, a delay, a reverb, a phaser and a wah). Which amp do you decide to use? Which effects do you use with it? Do you use the amp's distortion? Or do you just walk off the stage?

I'd never have any of those pedals or use for them (except the OD, I could use, but still don't own)... so I'll assume I have my Sonic Stomp and EQ pedal as always.

In that case I'd take the MG, and the Spider's cab, and be wishing I had my Pocket POD hidden somewhere.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
i'd take the MG. but have it on clean channel all the way, or jsut add very very little solid state drive to it.
I would take the spider. The MG is not going to get into Metal territory And "IMO" the spider sounds better than the MG.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Quote by boxcarmonument
I would take the spider. The MG is not going to get into Metal territory And "IMO" the spider sounds better than the MG.

Does an MG have less distortion then an AVT? Wayne Static used to use them on stage too. I think they'll do metal just fine.
Although, if you prefer the Spider Insane (Treadplate) voicing more, then that's the deal sealer.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
well, hopefully in this case i'd be hooked into a PA system. In that case, i can go pedal board strait to the PA and have some half decent tone without either of them crappy amps

i'd choose neither in that situation
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been
Mg
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
MG. They sound muffled as hell on high gain, but at least there isn't a ****ton of fizz that is impossible to dial out and feels like your ears are being stabbed repeatedly.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I had to choose between MG30DFX and Spider III 30 in our school's practice room. The MG was better, I even thought it was a really good amp after having played with the spider
» Ibanez SZ520 + JB/Jazz
» Rocktron Rampage
» Vox ToneLab SE
» Laney LC15
terrible thread, but i'll play along.

your pedal board will sound like ass through the spider. the MG has at least usable cleans
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
MG, from what I've heard it takes pedals better than the spider
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination