Page 1 of 8
I've been thinking quite a lot lately on just how I can prove I exist, so I figured I'd make a thread about proving ones existance.

Basically, the point of this thread is to attempt to prove you exist, this is not spam, this is more of a philosophical discussion. (Which means Craigo will pop up if hes on )

So, I've concluded that I CANNOT prove I exist. I just am pretty damn sure I do. I have theories but theyre not explainable in typing >_< I dont believe the "I think therefore I am" nonsense either.

So, can you prove you exist?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by Cameronrobson
great job, you discovered philosophy

I did not JUST discover it.

I've been pondering this for well over a year.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by Tag43
Well I'm here, aren't I?

Prove it.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Today young men on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one conciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather.
Quote by FbSa
Back in the 70's I decided to take all the frets off Jaco's Bass thinking he would play worse. Man did that backfire.

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']FUCK YES.

GSAWS, I LOVE YOU.
until you disprove that i think therefore i am "nonsense", you are automatically wrong.

if you actually read Descartes, he goes way in depth about it, and proves it pretty soundly.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by Gsaws
Today young men on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one conciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather.

BILL HICKS

And you thought no one would know didn't you.
Quote by Le_Bunny
I think, therefore I am.

You must not fully understand the concept if you question it.

Actually, the cogito was later improved upon: I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am.
~3.6 billion years of evolutionary progress have led to this post~
Quote by Zugunruhe
until you disprove that i think therefore i am "nonsense", you are automatically wrong.

if you actually read Descartes, he goes way in depth about it, and proves it pretty soundly.

Well the way I see it, if you think, you dont neccessarily exist.

I mean, computers think. But how can we prove they exist? For all we know matter is just an illusion created to give our minds something to do. So, how can you physically prove you exist by saying "I think therefore I am" ?

I need to pick up his stuff, I've been looking to get in depth with philosophy.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

who says we do exist?

i mean in the 4th dimension according to the string theory i'm pretty sure we are just actions rather than things
Last edited by dylanfromearth at Aug 2, 2009,
Quote by Gsaws

Tool and Bill Hicks FTMW.
Sail upon the open skies
look in a mirror????

But seriously, to me existence is nothing more than the belief that you are here in something real, and perhaps cannot be proven.
Como te
Only if you believe
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
Quote by valennic

I mean, computers think. But how can we prove they exist? For all we know matter is just an illusion created to give our minds something to do. So, how can you physically prove you exist by saying "I think therefore I am" ?

Computers don't think--at least not my knowledge. They're programmed to fulfill an order it's told. If a computer could think, it could do things on it's own, yeah?
Quote by dgall91
look in a mirror????

But seriously, to me existence is nothing more than the belief that you are here in something real, and perhaps cannot be proven.
What is 'real'?
Quote by Tag43
Computers don't think--at least not my knowledge. They're programmed to fulfill an order it's told. If a computer could think, it could do things on it's own, yeah?

Define "do things on its own". My computer runs all kinds of things of its own accord.

Quote by guitarhero_764
What is 'real'?

Why does it matter?
Quote by valennic

Maybe a better question for you is, can you prove you don't exist? All evidence that is logical and tangible points to the conclusion that we do. Sure, there may be doubt, but there is a hell of a lot more evidence to the contrary of that doubt.
Quote by Stormx
Define "do things on its own". My computer runs all kinds of things of its own accord.
Like what?
Quote by Tag43

Computers are programmed to think when faced with certain problems, most specifically AIs.

Human brains are the same way. We encounter a problem, and we have to think to go around it. Not unlike a computer.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Well, we exist on some plane. I mean what is existance? Define existance and I'll prove it. But the world you percieves exists on some plane, be it virtual, imaginary, or whatever we exist because we percieve, you can only percieve if you exist.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by valennic

no, no, no. it doesnt work like that.

its i think, therefore, I exist. i can only prove my own existence. i cant say that you think, because i have no proof for it. my own mind is the only one that i can prove thinks, so its the only thing i can prove exists.

it could be just your own mind, and nothing else in the entire universe. you cant go any farther than your own skull.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Why does it matter?
It doesn't really matter I guess, but it is an interesting question.
Last edited by guitarhero_764 at Aug 2, 2009,
Quote by guitarhero_764
Like what?

Disk defragmenter regularly checks fragmentation and defrags where necessary. I've got a tool to symlink my torrents to my music directory using proper directory schema. apt checks for updates every x minutes. Firefox continually reviews history. my search indexes files. and so forth.
I think therefore I am. Even if everything around me is an illusion, my thoughts prove I exist.

I've been asked this by a philosophy teacher.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
I fap, therefor I am.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Le_Bunny
I think, therefore I am.

You must not fully understand the concept if you question it.

WRONG.

Sorry, but I had to do that. Cogito ergo sum is actually based on a false premise. How the hell do you know that you are thinking? You attach such immediate certainty to that. Can you verify that you are the author of your own thoughts? Because of this, Descartes should of thrown away that idea that he was thinking (one of the so, so many problems in his works).

The correct way to go about this is (because he was correct, he correctly stated that he existed but because of a false premise) that I'm experiencing something. Something needs to exist to experience something, ergo I exist.

I think therefore I am doesn't work. I experience therefore I am, does.
Quote by Zugunruhe
no, no, no. it doesnt work like that.

its i think, therefore, I exist. i can only prove my own existence. i cant say that you think, because i have no proof for it. my own mind is the only one that i can prove thinks, so its the only thing i can prove exists.

it could be just your own mind, and nothing else in the entire universe. you cant go any farther than your own skull.

Well even then, I'm not entirely sure its ME controlling ME.

Then you have the schizophrenic people and people with SPD.

How can THEY prove THEY exist when THEY have multiple thought patterns due to the fact that their brain percieves them to be more than one person?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by Stormx
Disk defragmenter regularly checks fragmentation and defrags where necessary. I've got a tool to symlink my torrents to my music directory using proper directory schema. apt checks for updates every x minutes. Firefox continually reviews history. my search indexes files. and so forth.

If you've got tools to do those things, I'd imagine you got them from some place which programmed them to perform a desired order you wanted accomplished.
Quote by Stormx
The computer is specifically programmed to do all those things =/. It wouldn't know to do those things on its own without being programmed that way.
Quote by valennic

Would you like me to go into the problem of other minds and whether or not computers can think? I could if you want to.
Quote by guitarhero_764
The computer is specifically programmed to do all those things =/. It wouldn't know to do those things on its own without being programmed that way.

And how do humans differ from this model?