OK, so I installed an EMG 89 and 85 with a few hangups. I wanted to have two volumes instead of a volume and tone. I am getting sound from both pickups and the coil tap seems to be working. Both volume pots do not control the volume (they're actually acting much like a tone knob). There is a bit of noise coming through (probably because I didn't wire it correctly). Here's what I did, please tell me what I need to change:

just start over and go to the seymour duncan website they have extensice wiring diagram library you can find many diagrams such as this one.
^dude. EMG pickups. not duncan. ...

ultimate wiring thread might have your answer, or the EMG website.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
dude use the diagram for help dont follow them to the exact just go by the live and ground.
Quote by Erocku
Here's what I did, please tell me what I need to change:
diagram is good. if you wired it exactly like that, it would be work properly.
check your actual work against the diagram.

EDIT:
Quote by SG Commander
just start over and go to the seymour duncan website they have extensice wiring diagram library you can find many diagrams such as this one.
Bad advice.
Quote by SG Commander
dude use the diagram for help dont follow them to the exact just go by the live and ground.
More bad advice.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Aug 3, 2009,
electiciy flows into the pickup in one direction duh, and if you have two pickups why do you have a 5 way selector switch?
the closest thing duncan has is the diagram for blackouts. its my own experience that if you dont follow a diagram exactly, somthing gets screwed up. EMG has diagrams on their website, why not use ones that you will follow from start to finish?

ALSO: coil split, thats why he has a five way...
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Last edited by AngusJimiKeith at Aug 3, 2009,
Quote by SG Commander
electiciy flows into the pickup in one direction duh, and if you have two pickups why do you have a 5 way selector switch?

3-way telecaster style switch looks exactly like a Strat 5-way.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
didnt see the push-pull. yeah thats a tele blade switch...
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
well then I'm sorry you guys can seem to understand physics enough to need exact step by step directions for installing a 4 conducter electro-magnet.
its not an electromagnet at all. and the electricity flows out of the pickup. and im in AP physics next year.

ON PART 1: the pickup uses the magnet to produce electrical current. the magnet is already magnetized, it doesnt use the electricity to become so.

ON PART 2: that power then flows to the controls and output jack, through any pedals, and into your amp.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Quote by SG Commander
well then I'm sorry you guys can seem to understand physics enough to need exact step by step directions for installing a 4 conducter electro-magnet.
Stop babbling or you'll find your name here:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1157689

In case there's any doubt, it will be at the very end of first post.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411