hey, well im gonna be restringing my prs se soon and i want to put pickup covers on so i have a few questions. Are all the covers the same or are there different sizes? whats does potting do? do i have to pot them or can i use electrical tape?...thanks
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
Potting helps to reduce noise caused by outside influence and helps to prevent a pickup from becoming microphonic. Honestly, it would be worth it to pot them, just to help cut back on any buzz.

As for covers, I think they're all the same size for each type.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
I forgot about Cord's shellac one.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
be careful about pickup covers.. remember that there are different pole piece spacing (either regular or f-spaced).. PRS SE pickups come in a regular neck and an f-spaced bridge.. i bought a pair of regular covers so obviously the bridge cover didn't fit well.. so i had to modify it.. here's what i did..

if you don't want to end like me, buy an f-spaced cover for your bridge..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Ibanez AEG8E-NT w/ Seymour Duncan Woody SC
Yupangco Classical Guitar
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
ok thanks ill keep that in mind deltacross, did you pot your pickups?

does the shallac thing work the same as the wax?
Ibanez GRX40 - modified

Transformice
Quote by Rocketface2112

No, it doesn't.
It's intended as a thin coating to keep all the windings from moving about.
Good on an open pickup, useless for keeping the cover stable and free of microphonics.

Use the shellac method if you like, first.
But after the cover has been installed, you'll still need to pot with wax.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
that's what i thought. if i got it right the wax acts as a padding to keep the cover from vibrating as well as reducing noise?.....thanks for the help everyone!
Ibanez GRX40 - modified

Transformice
i put a black cover on my Iron Gear HotSlag which is pretty high output (12.1 or something in that range) and i used the electrical tape method and soldered the case to the base and i can turn my gain to full and no get microphonic feedback. If i use the amps OD channel and my Boss OS-2 i do though.
Quote by Rocketface2112

well.. here's how it went.. the open coiled pickups were potted in the first place.. meaning, there would be no movement of the coils.. they are all very firm and stable.. when i added the cover, i just put on the cover and placed a dab of solder on each side so it would be perfectly grounded.. after that, i put glue (the one from a glue stick in a glue gun) around the edges of the bottom part to make sure that the pickup cover would not move..

imo, potting the pickup cover with the pickup is ok.. but it is quite useless if your pickups are already potted.. think of Fender's split pickups and old gibson covered pickups.. all of them have covers to begin with.. when you try to remove it, it is not the same as just a regular open coil humbucker that is covered.. you will see that the actual pickup is bare and that there is potting all over.. that's because they placed the bare pickup inside and covered it then actually potted it..

so in my honest opinion, if your pickup is alrady potted, there's no need to effortfully pot it again in a cover.. you just have to make sure the cover is grounded with the pickup and that it is firm in covering the pup..

review of what i've done: no microphonic feedbacks.. very very slight change in tone.. a bit warmer.. no ground problems.. everything ok.. everything went well for me..

Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Ibanez AEG8E-NT w/ Seymour Duncan Woody SC
Yupangco Classical Guitar
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R