Poll: Do Drugs Enhance Musical Creativity?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do Drugs Enhance Musical Creativity?
yes
62 57%
no
47 43%
Voters: 109.
Page 1 of 2
So a lot of classic albums have been written or recorded by musicians inebriated. Do you think drugs enhance musical creativity?

(forgot the poll apologies)
They enhance my musical creativity, if you know what I mean.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Wait my post got deleted.

well I said yes, at least in my experience it does. It may not improve my skill, but I find that ideas flow easier.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
Last edited by dubstar92 at Aug 2, 2009,
Quote by Karvid
They enhance my musical creativity, if you know what I mean.

no.

are you stoned?
Im stoned, and GODDAMMIT DRUG THREAD
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
yes, but they do not, under any circumstances, increase musical skill.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by MercyfulFate505
No

It's all emotion brotha

This. Anyone who likes to write music on drugs probably just has an easier time expressing their emotions, or at least feel less inhibited...
Current Gear:
PRS CE24 Maple Top
PRS SE Corvette
Blackheart Handsome Devil
Hardwire SC-2 Distortion
It does actually, its a proven fact.

Do drugs, make music. Everyone knows that...

<_<

>_>

"Most people are trying to simplify the world. We're definitely here to complicate it." - Dad
Quote by RocksAwakening5
I you for posting this.

<-- Pretty much sums me up

8/7/09

^ I was there
Beatles-Yellow Submarine

It was pretty popular so yea, it helps when you’re high. Well actually like MercyfulFate505 said, it is mostly emotion, which gets exaggerated when your high so it kind of makes you more creative. Does for me anyways
Gear:

Line 6 Variax 300 (electric)
Jay Turser acoustic
A soon to be Jackson Demmelition King V

Bugera 6260-212
Vox AD30VT (for sale)
Quote by actaderock
i tried with lyics and the answr is no and i think you cant play a scale correctly in drugs

I can play sequences and scales perfectly fine stoned...
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
I've heard it was proven. I still think with or without the drugs, its how your mind frame is and how you think.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
I always kinda felt music from drugs is a bit fake. For some reason it feels like it's not really you who is writing it.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
you wont remember anything you wrote
Quote by TheBigProjekt
Quick question, don;t make fun of me please.
When does your dick "grow" the most, as im 14 and I'm still on the small side.

..I just don't want a small dick XD
I thought of the craziest lyrics while I was stoned, and they turned out to still be cool the next day. On the other hand, I wrote what I thought was the coolest chord progression ever but the next day I realized that it was just F# C# B..

So yes and no. Therefore I cannot vote.
LOVE ANTHONY GREEN?
Quote by sneyob
I am slightly disappointed =w=eeze took me out of his sig.

But that's okay.

^Consolation Sig
YES! I love writing while stoned. That is almost all I do while high lately.
If you're a hot chick you've probably got a good chance with the lead singer or guitar player, If you're a little bit overweight, you should probably go for the drummer. If you're a dude, go for the bass player
some of them help to write songs, but the vast majority reduce your ability to play

i have a much easier time finding words to fit my emotion under the influence of some substances than when im sober. but when i play shows i wont let myself drink more than 2 or 3 beer before i play and under no circumstances would i smoke pot. even though the vast majority of my songs have been wrote when i was high
All about your imagination then take drugs
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
I don't think it necessarily makes you more creative, but we know that drugs do affect judgment. While sober, maybe you think that riff you wrote could have been better. While stoned, maybe you'll just roll with it, 'cause you know, fuck it, man.
Certain drugs can definitly open up your mind, making you more creative in pretty much everything, not just music.

However, some drugs just kinda don't work with art. I remember trying to write a song while tripping on ecstasy. Fail.
They can only somewhat enhance what's already there, they can't instantly turn you into some kind of creative genius.
Quote by Trowzaa
I immediately clenched my butthole after reading that...
I always found that people who've written a song right after a bad event have written a better song

Like Fade to Black, was written after James Hetfield's amp was stolen, and that amp was given to him by his mother before she died. Hetfield himself would only get involved with alcohol, he was never into coke or anything like that, and the rest of Metallica would vouch for that.

Nothing Else Matters is another example, probably one of the most powerful songs ever written, and it was written without drugs.

Blind Wille Johnson never used drugs
I doubt Robert Johnson used drugs.
John 5 never used drugs
Yes, but in a simple way.
For example, my style of playing is usually a bit technical and it's comfortable for me. I like using obscure chords, creative riffs, etc.
When I was playing the acoustic guitar after smoking weed, I was really feeling some of the stuff I made up, but it wasn't any more than at least 5 notes or chords.
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?
Quote by CurbstompBass
No. They don't.

bassists dont count you dont need to be creative. Unless you are flea or jaco
Quote by MercyfulFate505
I always found that people who've written a song right after a bad event have written a better song

Like Fade to Black, was written after James Hetfield's amp was stolen, and that amp was given to him by his mother before she died. Hetfield himself would only get involved with alcohol, he was never into coke or anything like that, and the rest of Metallica would vouch for that.

Nothing Else Matters is another example, probably one of the most powerful songs ever written, and it was written without drugs.

does the name jimi hendrix, ring any bells to you?
If you're a hot chick you've probably got a good chance with the lead singer or guitar player, If you're a little bit overweight, you should probably go for the drummer. If you're a dude, go for the bass player
Quote by MercyfulFate505

John 5 never used drugs

alcohol is very much a drug.
I have no opinion on this matter.
George Harrison

Before:

After:

This sums it up.
1. Open My Computer.
2. Open C:
3. Click on WINDOWS.
4. Open the folder "Media."
5. Click on the file "onestop."
6. Listen.
Quote by Gordo.
bassists dont count you dont need to be creative. Unless you are flea or jaco

I'm a guitarist, too. I play my acoustic more than bass lately.

I don't need any outside influence to make the music I want to make. I'm perfectly capable of channeling the music in my head into real life on my own.
Quote by TheFingerling
Lol. Drugs screw your mind, they don't help you play music, or help with musical creativity. Slash used to be a dopie, but that screwed him, now he's stopped and he's all good!

But, he was good when he was on smack, and sucked since.
In the long run, no. So many great musicians... Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Bon Scott, Janis Joplin, all killed by drugs.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by TheFingerling
Lol. Drugs screw your mind, they don't help you play music, or help with musical creativity. Slash used to be a dopie, but that screwed him, now he's stopped and he's all good!

well duh, don't take heroin or something, but after a little pot, you can get ideas that you wouldn't normally get if you weren't stoned.
Page 1 of 2