lets say i have a pedal size enclosure. its metal, or whatever its supposed to be.

i want it to be glossy white like the OCD

note - i have a blue LED as well

and then im going to have this graphic in a light blue colour on the front of it. its going to be overlapped by knobs and stuff. but its ok. yes im azn

on the side or something im going to have the words "Anaheim Electronics" in black or the same blue as the chinese character. not sure yet.

my problem is, i dont know how to do all this. especially how to get the graphics and the labelling on.

i have checked the stickys and all the how - to's but they are to complicated for my noob mind.

so i turn to UG to help me. i really want to make my first pedal build a sucess. please UG, help me
how did you get that blue led? i want one for my futur OCD.
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Mesa Boogie Single rectifier
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
at an electronics store. they usually stock a few colours of LEDs. thers like red, blue, green, yellow, amber, white, etc.
how much does it cost to get it changed?
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
and is it easy to install?

like do i need to wire stuff or just pop the red one out and pop the blue one in?
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
ok im just gonna post that how-to up and bold what i dont get.

Painting
Drill all the holes you need in the enclosure

Use sandpaper to smooth off any burrs or sharp ends

Wipe down the box with Acetone and paper towels. This will make sure it is clean.

Paint it with a light coat of spray paint. I now exclusively use Rustoleum because it is idiot proof.

Pop it in your dedicated pedal-baking toaster oven for 30 minutes at 150°F. WTF??? how are you supposed to bake a pedal. is this immediately after your spray paint or do you let the paint dry first?

DO NOT USE ANY OVEN THAT IS USED IN THE PREPARATION OF FOOD. THE RESULTING FUMES WILL BAKE ON TO THE INTERIOR OF THE OVEN AND CONTINUE TO LEACH TOXIC NASTINESS INTO SUBSEQUENT RE-HEATS.

You can get a used toaster oven for around 5 bucks. Don't cheap out on this step. Don't cheat with your wife's toaster oven. Not even once.

Pop it out of the oven with gloves and let it cool for 10 minutes

Repeat 4-6 until you have good color coverage. so 1 try with the paint and the oven wont work? i mean, im just going for an OCD white.

Graphics and finishing
My box in a day method uses inkjet photo glossy white sticker paper. I get the house brand at Office Depot.

Print the graphic on white gloss sticker paper on an inkjet printer. Make sure your labeling lines up with the holes you drilled. A good trick is to first print your design on a regular piece of paper. Cut it to size and tape it on top of the enclosure. Use your finger to push down on the paper. This will leave dimples where the holes are, making it easier to get things aligned. how do you make the graphic? is there a special pedal desiging software? i dont get his "trick".

Let it dry for ten minutes. Stick it on the box. so im letting the prinited graphic dry?

Clear coat the entire box, label and all, with Minwax Clear Gloss Polyurethane out of a can using a 1" paintbrush.

Immediately throw it in the toaster oven at 150 F for 30 minutes

Take it out, see if it is still tacky. If so immediately bake for another 30 minutes.

Repeat steps 3-5 until you've got a nice thick glossy coat.

By now it is usually dry and ready to work.

Cover the enclosure with blue painters tape to protect the finish/label

Populate the the box.

Remove the blue tape.

Wipe down the box with slightly damp paper towels to remove grease and oils

2-3 coats of Carnuba car wax, buff until you're happy why do you need the car wax

generally, my biggest concern and question is why do you pop the pedal in the oven? does it dry faster that way? if you want it to dry, cant you just let it cool by itself?
Pop it in your dedicated pedal-baking toaster oven for 30 minutes at 150°F. WTF??? how are you supposed to bake a pedal. is this immediately after your spray paint or do you let the paint dry first?

you dont need the toaster but the tutorial is called box in a DAY. i suppose you could paint it and let it sit around for a day to cure then paint it again.

Repeat 4-6 until you have good color coverage. so 1 try with the paint and the oven wont work? i mean, im just going for an OCD white.

and if you want it to look nice and professional you'll give it a few coats of white paint.

Print the graphic on white gloss sticker paper on an inkjet printer. Make sure your labeling lines up with the holes you drilled. A good trick is to first print your design on a regular piece of paper. Cut it to size and tape it on top of the enclosure. Use your finger to push down on the paper. This will leave dimples where the holes are, making it easier to get things aligned. how do you make the graphic? is there a special pedal desiging software? i dont get his "trick".

make the graphic with whatever. photoshop, gimp, mspaint. doesnt matter. there is no special pedal designing software. as for not getting his "trick" i dont know how you couldnt. i dont think i can explain it any simpler than he did already. cant help ya.

Let it dry for ten minutes. Stick it on the box. so im letting the prinited graphic dry?

yes. glossy paper + inkjet = wait for the graphic to dry before messing with it.

2-3 coats of Carnuba car wax, buff until you're happy why do you need the car wax

ask yourself why a car needs to be waxed and the answer should be obvious. it's to make it look nice and to protect the finish. you dont have to do it like he does.
and for the led, do i need to to any wiring or just pop the red one out and pop the blue one in?
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Quote by AmericanParadox
and for the led, do i need to to any wiring or just pop the red one out and pop the blue one in?

pedal building thread has your answers.

you'll have to desolder the old led and solder in the new led.
oh, then i won't do it, thanks mate.
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Quote by AmericanParadox
oh, then i won't do it, thanks mate.

ok. it's not like it's the most difficult thing in the world or anything but whatever.
well i suck big time at soldering so..

i'd love to get better and have a better knowledge but i don't really now where to start
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
will the oven like fry from metal? i never knew i could pop metal in an oven.

so lets say i only sticker the top part of the box. will the clear gloss sorta blur the labelling words? will i be able to see the sticker ending sides still?

how do proffesionals do their pedals? like the OCD for example.
Quote by Luxifer
will the oven like fry from metal? i never knew i could pop metal in an oven.

it's a toaster oven, not a microwave.

so lets say i only sticker the top part of the box. will the clear gloss sorta blur the labelling words? will i be able to see the sticker ending sides still?

it shouldn't blur the words. if by "sticker ending sides" you mean the edge of the sticker paper then the answer is yes. you could always trim the sticker down as close to the graphic as possible to try and remove that edge.

how do proffesionals do their pedals? like the OCD for example.

silkscreen.
Quote by Luxifer
is silk screen do-able?

you'd be better off printing a decal on clear sticker paper. i dont know of anyone who silkscreens their pedals, although i also never bothered to search. i guess you could try making an outline of the graphic with some painters tape and then paint it on or if you got a steady hand you could use a paint pen.
Quote by AmericanParadox
well i suck big time at soldering so..

i'd love to get better and have a better knowledge but i don't really now where to start

Replacing an LED takes like a few minutes. You gotta know how to solder at least. Like I say, it's a valuable life skill. It's half common sense, one-third skill, and one-sixth know-how. Look up a tutorial on youtube or something. You can see that's it's really really easy once you do it a few times.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Yeah, i'll try to find a good link to learn it.
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Quote by noisefarmer
you'd be better off printing a decal on clear sticker paper. i dont know of anyone who silkscreens their pedals, although i also never bothered to search. i guess you could try making an outline of the graphic with some painters tape and then paint it on or if you got a steady hand you could use a paint pen.

hahahahahaha yess clear sticker paper is just what i need!!! with clear sticker paper, i can still do the Clear Gloss thing right?

i just thought of something. the Box-in-a-day thing tells you to spray paint and then sticker on top. are they assuming that you are only stickering seperate labels on or a sheet for the whole top part of the pedal? also, the white gloss sticker paper isnt transparent right? so you would have the match the colour of the background of the sticker to the painted colour of the pedal?
Quote by Luxifer
hahahahahaha yess clear sticker paper is just what i need!!! with clear sticker paper, i can still do the Clear Gloss thing right?

i just thought of something. the Box-in-a-day thing tells you to spray paint and then sticker on top. are they assuming that you are only stickering seperate labels on or a sheet for the whole top part of the pedal? also, the white gloss sticker paper isnt transparent right? so you would have the match the colour of the background of the sticker to the painted colour of the pedal?

they sell clear sticker paper. i never said anything about white gloss sticker paper although i also see no reason why you couldnt use it if you wanted to. the tutorial is the same if you are using seperate labels or a big sticker covering the whole enclosure.
Maybe just make a stencil and spray on the graphic? It won't be too clean unless you're super pro, but whatever.. You being super pro at spray painting says a lot about you though...
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by Teej212
spo if i wanted an EHX pedal type look all i would need is the sticker paper? would i need to clear coat that and bake it? also for the stikcer paper does it need to be printed on with a laser printer?

in short: yes, probably and no.

you could make a sticker that looks like an ehx pedal and cover it with clearcoat to protect it and that sticker can be printed with a laser printer, if you have the laser printer decal paper, or with an inkjet, if you have the inkjet decal paper. really you could just draw on the sticker paper if you wanted to, although that would be extremely stupid since you could just as easily remove one step and draw directly on the enclosure.
Old thread is Old.

Quote by Luxifer
i have checked the stickys and all the how - to's but they are to complicated for my noob mind.
Use them anyway.
If there is something you don't understand, ask in the appropriate thread instead of making your own.

Thanks.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Old thread is Old.

Use them anyway.
If there is something you don't understand, ask in the appropriate thread instead of making your own.

Thanks.

old=gold

how do i use them if i dont understand them? if i understood them, i wouldnt have posted.