Ive been trying to teach myself theory for a couple months now and so far thanks to the lessons on this site i understand (i use the term very loosely) understand steps and know the major/minor scale, pentatonic major/minor and kind of understand root notes. I jam with some friends 3-4 times a week and since ive learned what i know now my playing has improved greatly especilally my improvising with the pentatonic (too much fun i can go forever). I feel like ive hit and wall and am looking for some guidance into what i should really try to learn and get a hold of to go to the next level of theory. Please point me in the right direction. Thank you.
theory is more than just scales. learn each interval of the scale and train your ear to recognize them. learn how chords are made and which intervals to use over each chord. learn how melodies and harmonies are made, and practise adding them to your improvising
Quote by JayLacelle
theory is more than just scales. learn each interval of the scale and train your ear to recognize them. learn how chords are made and which intervals to use over each chord. learn how melodies and harmonies are made, and practise adding them to your improvising

any good lessons or websites that someone could point me that explains these ideas well
Quote by tugb0at
any good lessons or websites that someone could point me that explains these ideas well

Read the "Music Theory Guide FAQ" thread.

they really should change the name of that thread...
*reported*... twice in one reply!

OH NOES!!! Theowy is scawY!!!