For a guitar/amp set up, and used is totally an option!

I want to play primarily metalcore.

Throw me the suggestions!
For the guitar, do you have any preferences to materials (bridge type, woods, etc...?)
Not really, I guess the neck would be better if it's similar to my bass for easier adjustment? Other than that just something that's gonna sound good for metalcore.
Les Pauls have thick necks like basses. So maybe check those out. I got a Epiphone Les Paul and I love it, but it is out of your price range. But there are other Les Pauls. As for amps I gotta say my Roland Cube Amp is pretty good. I got it for $169 new last year and it's really good for starting. It has built in effects so many features. So yeah I recommend that amp, the Roland 20x Cube Amp.
Will you/do you gig?

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
You could buy a guitar and then just play it through your bass amp if you can't afford an amp. As for the guitar:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Hellraiser-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar?sku=520092

This would be good for metalcore, but if you buy it you likely won't have enough for a real guitar amp.
If I use my bass amp, I won't get any distortion or effects I kind of need for the genre...
Quote by kaossurge
If I use my bass amp, I won't get any distortion or effects I kind of need for the genre...

That guitar costs $500, right? If you take sales tax into account, you should probably have enough left over for a Digitech Bad Monkey.
Quote by TheLetheProject
That guitar costs $500, right? If you take sales tax into account, you should probably have enough left over for a Digitech Bad Monkey.

Will it be worth it though? Playing it through the bass amp with an effect pedal won't make it sound bad?
i would try to get a practice amp... i know playing a bass through a guitar amp is a really bad idea... bass amps are a little more sturdy than a guitar amp, so you might be ok.

i'd still try to get a little 15 watt amp if you could
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
i would try to get a practice amp... i know playing a bass through a guitar amp is a really bad idea... bass amps are a little more sturdy than a guitar amp, so you might be ok.

i'd still try to get a little 15 watt amp if you could

Well if the guitar through bass amp sounds bad I just won't bother with getting a more expensive guitar and split the costs to get at least a 65w or so and a cheaper guitar... but If the bass amp with distortion pedal will sound as good as a guitar amp, why bother?
it definitely won't sound the same. a bass amp is aimed at lows, and a guitar amp is aimed more at mids and decent lows and highs both. but if you're just learning it might be better to start with a better guitar than amp. if i had started with a squire i would have quit playing, but i started with a more decent guitar and a crappy amp and i'm still playing
Guitar through a bass amp sounds great.
I used to run a DS-2 and eventually a big muff into my bass amp and subsequently into a bass cabinet.I honestly don't see why the idea hasn't caught on more than it has.Sounded great.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by Ian hawkins
Guitar through a bass amp sounds great.
I used to run a DS-2 and eventually a big muff into my bass amp and subsequently into a bass cabinet.I honestly don't see why the idea hasn't caught on more than it has.Sounded great.

So many mixed opinions... IDK what to do...

Is it at least safe for the bass amp to handle guitar tones?
Quote by kaossurge
So many mixed opinions... IDK what to do...

Is it at least safe for the bass amp to handle guitar tones?

Get a guitar amp...