okkkkk so i made a little chord progression

it goes Aminor, to Dmajor, to

e|---7-------5-----------------------------------------------------------------|
B|---8-------6-----------------------------------------------------------------|
G|---7-------5----------------------------------------------------------------|
D|---0------------------------------------------------------------------------|
A|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|

then aminor, d major, and

e|---7--------9---------------------------------------------------------------|
B|---8--------10----------------------------------------------------------------|
G|---7--------9----------------------------------------------------------------|
D|---0------------------------------------------------------------------------|
A|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|

That was my first time coding on this, i probably messed up.

But how would i solo over this? i was lookin at individual notes, and A dorian fits almost all of them, eminor and eminorpent fit some.

just if you wrote this song, how would you go about writing the solo?

Thank you,
Nathan
The very first thing I would do would be listen, use my ears, and play around with some notes to see what sounded good and what I liked. I'll edit this post in a minute when I've had a bit of a look at it theoretically.
sig goes here
Quote by Skater901
The very first thing I would do would be listen, use my ears, and play around with some notes to see what sounded good and what I liked. I'll edit this post in a minute when I've had a bit of a look at it theoretically.

Thanks man. I dont even know if techinically "works" my progression. It sounds like crap on my electric but on my acoustic it sounds really nice haha
i would keep a progression like that simply on an acoustic and not limit to a technical scale, it would have to be carefully split up by the rhythm of the strum and note variation to build something unique, get me?
The first bit is essentially an A Minor progression with one chord borrowed from the A Dorian scale(the D of course). So treat as an A Minor progression and emphasize the F# over the D chord to follow the harmony better. Those two other chords are G Major and F Major, for the record.

The second bit is similar, but the last chord is an A Major. So again, treat it as an A Minor progression, F# over the D, and do something well...Majorey over the A Major. Emphasize the C#, maybe an F#, and mayber still a G#.
Quote by grampastumpy
The first bit is essentially an A Minor progression with one chord borrowed from the A Dorian scale(the D of course). So treat as an A Minor progression and emphasize the F# over the D chord to follow the harmony better. Those two other chords are G Major and F Major, for the record.

The second bit is similar, but the last chord is an A Major. So again, treat it as an A Minor progression, F# over the D, and do something well...Majorey over the A Major. Emphasize the C#, maybe an F#, and mayber still a G#.

Thanks ya very much good sir

Nathan
Am - D - G/D (second inversion of G) F/C (second inversion of G)

then

Am - D - G/D - A/E (second inversion of A)

it's majorly C, but in the D - G/D part you can use either C major, G major or D major

for the last chord (A/E) you can use either A major or E major (this one will sound slightly disonant when you play D#)
Wow, so much for in a minute. My bad.

Well, I played it. It sounds, cool. It reminds me of something, not sure what though. Listening to your recording I think your lead needs a lot of work if you want to keep that progression going, cause it gets boring pretty quickly. Also, could you post the voicings you're using for the Am and D chords? That'll help me to get an idea of what you could play.

From a theory perspective though, look at the chords, and play notes from them. So maybe start on a C, move up to a D, then from there hold the D, then move back to the C? Hmm that could be rather boring. But your solo can imply chords by the notes you play over them. So for example, the F chord at the end of the first 2 bars, you could play an E, to imply FM7. Or perhaps a G, to imply F2. So have a play with that and see what happens. For a better explanation, watch this video.
sig goes here
Quote by Skater901
Wow, so much for in a minute. My bad.

Well, I played it. It sounds, cool. It reminds me of something, not sure what though. Listening to your recording I think your lead needs a lot of work if you want to keep that progression going, cause it gets boring pretty quickly. Also, could you post the voicings you're using for the Am and D chords? That'll help me to get an idea of what you could play.

From a theory perspective though, look at the chords, and play notes from them. So maybe start on a C, move up to a D, then from there hold the D, then move back to the C? Hmm that could be rather boring. But your solo can imply chords by the notes you play over them. So for example, the F chord at the end of the first 2 bars, you could play an E, to imply FM7. Or perhaps a G, to imply F2. So have a play with that and see what happens. For a better explanation, watch this video.

The aminor is open a, 2fret d and g strings, first fret b, and open e. Just normal open voicing. Same with d.

Yeah i didn't mean for that one boring lead to go on a minute and a half.

Im thinkin like this

Intro with the boring lead - two bars
verse - just chords, no lead
-chorus- maybe some arpeggiated stuff behind it for lead
redo intro
2nd verse
2nd chorus
solo
bridge or chorus again

Like i wouldn't do that boring lead for the solo

It would be like whats it called a "riff"? Like i repeat it during empty parts, such as begning, and after first chorus