Well basically I'm looking for a practice plan because as of late I'm not seeing any approval.... Like, for my problem currently, is with Under the Bridge.
I can work and work on the chord changes all day and see no improvment. Like this part of the tab:
|----------------|---------------------|
|-9-x-7-(7)--x-|-------9\--4--5--(5)/-|

|-9-x-8-(8)--x-|-------9\--4--6--(6)/-|

|-9-x-9-(9)--x-|-9s11-9\--6--7-(7)/-|

|-7-x-9-(9)--x-|-9s11-----6--7-(7)/-|
|----------------|---------------------|
(Sorry it looks messed)
I can hit the first chord easy, but after that mute I can never seem to execute the next chord at all. Is their anything I can do to practice this thats could be affective quicker than repeating the part over and over again?

Also, is it normal for a noob (8month player) to repeat practicing parts for a couple days? Meaning I can't get it right until I practice it for a couple days and it's still not perfect but you can tell what I'm playing?

What would be a good practice that I could improve from? I play a couple hours a day but say a one or two hour pratice, what should I do with that much time?

And one more thing, on Chordbook.com What do I press to bring up minor chords? I'm not sure which to hit.

Sorry for the long posts.
Quote by RAAAGE
Well basically I'm looking for a practice plan because as of late I'm not seeing any approval.

Do you mean improvement? Or does your mom walk in and say, "ololo u suck so bad hahah!"

Gimme a sec to read through and see what I can help with.

Edit: Ok, after thinking about your problem, I would suggest doing the exercises in this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BweGp3eTmk They help improve dexterity and finger independance, and that in turn will immensly help your chord changing speed.

As for the practice routine, Always warm up first. I like to just play some chromatic lines up and down all 6 strings for a while and then some string skipping. Once your fingers are loosened up, start on the section of the song you're working on and just play it. If it's not where you want it, slow it down until you can play it without mistakes. Then increase speed gradually until you can play what you wanted. Then go practice a different technique/song for a while. After maybe a half hour or so, go back to the first thing you were working on and see if you retained what you did earlier.
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Aug 3, 2009,
Practicing a new song for a couple of days is not unusual at all, it's going to take a few years to get to the point where you can just play a song by looking at the tab.

As alwys, practice the song as slowly as you need to be able to play it perfectly and develop from there.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
You just click the "m" (for minor)
but i use http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/ to look some up.
It has scales too and what-not.

As for your practice you can't expect to get everything the first time around.
Just use the technique again til you get it I guess. I wasn't good at pull offs
and hammer ons but I got better after practice (I was trying to do "Over the hills and far away"). I don't get things right right away so I guess
your playing I can relate to. I don't have a definite practice schedule but
I spend most of my day with my guitar at my side (Since It's summer and I got nothing to do til school starts) and I play whenever I want. I usually work on my finger picking
on basic chords, and scales. Lately I've been practice alternate picking.
I don't know if this helps. I'm just throwing in my 2 cents.
Just practice it over and over again. I have been practicing the Stairway to Heaven intro for 4 MONTHS and I still cant play it properly, whereas other things that are faster and more complex then that I can pretty much sightread. Some riffs/licks are just harder for some people than others. Do it over and over again. If you get frustarted take a break. Eventually all the practice will catch up with you and you will be able to do it. Sometimes that might be over the course of 10 minutes, sometime it might take months, but don't give up.
Last edited by GoldfishMoon at Aug 3, 2009,
Quote by StewieSwan
Do you mean improvement? Or does your mom walk in and say, "ololo u suck so bad hahah!"

Gimme a sec to read through and see what I can help with.

Edit: Ok, after thinking about your problem, I would suggest doing the exercises in this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BweGp3eTmk They help improve dexterity and finger independance, and that in turn will immensly help your chord changing speed.

As for the practice routine, Always warm up first. I like to just play some chromatic lines up and down all 6 strings for a while and then some string skipping. Once your fingers are loosened up, start on the section of the song you're working on and just play it. If it's not where you want it, slow it down until you can play it without mistakes. Then increase speed gradually until you can play what you wanted. Then go practice a different technique/song for a while. After maybe a half hour or so, go back to the first thing you were working on and see if you retained what you did earlier.

Actually she does sometimes. lolololollo
I'll watch it!

Hmm, sounds like it could work, I'll give it a try and see.
Thanks~
Quote by steven seagull
Practicing a new song for a couple of days is not unusual at all, it's going to take a few years to get to the point where you can just play a song by looking at the tab.

As alwys, practice the song as slowly as you need to be able to play it perfectly and develop from there.

No no no no, it's not the WHOLE song that I've been practicing. It's that little bit tabbed in the original post. I iwsh it could only take a couple days to do a song. But thanks for help.
Quote by etni69
You just click the "m" (for minor)
but i use http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/ to look some up.
It has scales too and what-not.

As for your practice you can't expect to get everything the first time around.
Just use the technique again til you get it I guess. I wasn't good at pull offs
and hammer ons but I got better after practice (I was trying to do "Over the hills and far away"). I don't get things right right away so I guess
your playing I can relate to. I don't have a definite practice schedule but
I spend most of my day with my guitar at my side (Since It's summer and I got nothing to do til school starts) and I play whenever I want. I usually work on my finger picking
on basic chords, and scales. Lately I've been practice alternate picking.
I don't know if this helps. I'm just throwing in my 2 cents.

Thanks I thought the "m" meant minor. Guess I was right. Also thanks for the site. I'll check it out.
But Yeah, I have my guitar around me all the time as well in the summer that's why I said whats a good practice for about two hours when school does come back around.
In relation to the song:
The intro to Under the Bridge isn't overly difficult, (as in the "Sometimes I feel..." bit). If you're having trouble with it, just practice that bit over and over again. Start slow and then pick it up a bit. It's not uncommon to practice one bit of a song for days to perfect it at all. I always break songs up into sections then work on that section for a few days. It all depends on experience and the difficult of the song.

Man, I said "bit" a lot.
Quote by Telestar
Trust me man, it's Smoke on the Water. Deep Purple only wrote one song.