Okay, so with the 3 chord trick... Is it that each of those chords can be played within the scale of your choosing?

Does the order you play them in matter and somehow make them not the "3 chord trick" chords?

Also... Let's say you're playing a progression of C-F-G7.

Does this mean you can play the notes from the C major scale, F major, and G? Or does it only mean the chords?

I realized that if a song is in the key of G, I can solo over it in G or in A minor... what's the explanation to this?

My knowledge of music theory's full of potholes.
nope. mostly everything is wrong.

read the Music Theory FAQ Guide. there's too much to explain so it's better if you take some time to read that.
*reported*... twice in one reply!

OH NOES!!! Theowy is scawY!!!
Quote by Happy the Pirat
Awesome. Starting from square 1. Woohoo.

YUP! don't worry.

just get a soda or something and maybe some snacks, get comfortable, and read some theory.

I suggest that you read the whole thing the 1st time. Then go back and start working on the 1st thing you didn't understand.
*reported*... twice in one reply!

OH NOES!!! Theowy is scawY!!!
Quote by allislost
YUP! don't worry.

just get a soda or something and maybe some snacks, get comfortable, and read some theory.

I suggest that you read the whole thing the 1st time. Then go back and start working on the 1st thing you didn't understand.

Music theory has been compared to smashing your brains out with a philosophical theoretical 10ft barge pole.

Get some aspirin ready and plenty of the dew.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Theory's as hard as you make it. Read the words. Think about it. Try the principles out yourself. Apply it to your playing. That's really the easiest way to go about it. If you're reading about chord construction, it's not enough to read. Get what it says into your head, and construct your own chords. Not ones you're comfortable with. Challenge yourself.

And remember to take breaks. Reading 50 articles in one day won't help, you won't be able to absorb all the information. Read about one particular section, work it out for yourself, and that's all the theory you need in one day. Hell, work on the same thing the next day. And the next, until you have it down pat. Then move on, rinse, repeat.