Hey sup guys. I have a 7 string guitar (finally!) and I was tuned to B standard, which was B E A D G B E, but I am joining a band that tunes to C standard, so I am now tuned to C standard. I love it, because its a lower note of course, but I am stuck on what I should do with the lowest string. If I have it to F, it is WICKED low, too low for my taste, sounds like Meshuggah or something. If I have it to G, That will be like its a dropped 7 string right? Im not sure why im having such a hard time figuring this out, but I am...
Thanks in advance!

if i'm correct, your tuning the first 6 strings to C F Bb Eb G C, right?
If so the seventh string would be G, since its a 5th below C

if not, i'm full of horse**** =/
Quote by Fullmetal_tmd
if i'm correct, your tuning the first 6 strings to C F Bb Eb G C, right?
If so the seventh string would be G, since its a 5th below C

if not, i'm full of horse**** =/

correct buddy, thats so f'king lo though :P

edit: although the alternative is you tune the first 6 strings to C standard and have a high F
Last edited by samlocke14 at Aug 3, 2009,

Just tune your guitar normally, you already have all the same notes as the rest of the band, plus an extra low B.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I think you've got it back to front. If you just put the whole 7 string down two whole steps (or 4 half steps; it's the same thing) your tuning would be G C F Bb Eb G C, and if you had the low 7 string as an F it would be a dropped 7 string tuning. Either way that 7 string will be crazy low.
If the band was going to do some songs in Dropped Bb, I'd say put your 7 string as a Bb then just mute the 6 string when you play a power chord... Least that's what I'd do.
tune every string up a tone.

then continually play the high F (24th fret, bottom string)
*Enter Sig Here*
lol sorry for the confusion! The band uses only 6 strings, but for my personal project Id like to use the 7th string, so I wanted it proportional. I was playing around with it in F (low low F), and now its in G, so I guess its staying that way. Thanks alot!
id tune it to a g or f, then you could have some really thick sounding powerchords. also if youre into breakdowns, you could play then extremely low with the other guitarist playing a lead over it
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
id tune it to a g or f, then you could have some really thick sounding powerchords. also if youre into breakdowns, you could play then extremely low with the other guitarist playing a lead over it
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
i agree tuning it to an low G or F is a bit silly, plus you'll be encroaching on the bassists range - the way i see it you have 2 options
1) stay in standard for 7-string BEADGBE, since you have the low B that means you should be able to play all the stuff the rest of the band do, just on a different neck position. It would mean you'd lose any open strings they have though
2) tune UP - B is only a semitone lower than C so tune to C F Bb Eb Ab C F. That way instead of having an extra lower string you have an extra higher one. (you could have the different semitone gap in one of 2 places)
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Last edited by doive at Aug 5, 2009,
Tune to CABBAGE
Quote by doive
i agree tuning it to an low G or F is a bit silly, plus you'll be encroaching on the bassists range - the way i see it you have 2 options
1) stay in standard for 7-string BEADGBE, since you have the low B that means you should be able to play all the stuff the rest of the band do, just on a different neck position. It would mean you'd lose any open strings they have though
2) tune UP - B is only a semitone lower than C so tune to C F Bb Eb Ab C F. That way instead of having an extra lower string you have an extra higher one. (you could have the different semitone gap in one of 2 places)

Or this.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by steven seagull

Just tune your guitar normally, you already have all the same notes as the rest of the band, plus an extra low B.

i would actually suggest tuning half a step sharp to C and leaving it at that