Poll: Do you recall memories in first- or thirdperson?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you recall memories in first- or thirdperson?
I am male and mostly in Firstperson
168 51%
I am male and mostly in Thirdperson
52 16%
I am female and mostly in Firstperson
8 2%
I am female and mostly in Thirdperson
5 2%
I am male and it's about 50/50
72 22%
I am female and it's about 50/50
4 1%
I don't know.
17 5%
I have Memory distrust syndrome
2 1%
Other input (please specify)
2 1%
Voters: 330.
Page 1 of 3
Like the threadtitle asks, how would you recall a memory of - let's say - you sitting somewhere watching tv, biking, having a conversation, e.t.c.?

Do you remember in first-person (as in, you're looking through your own eyes) or third-person (you're not looking through your eyes, you're more an thirdparty observer of the situation of the memory you're recalling)?

Poll coming up.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I recall memories by remembering, quite simple actually.

EDIT: but seriously, a mixture of both. depending on the situation, but usually a third person.
My Computer -> My Recent Documents -> My Memories
Check out my band Disturbed
First person. I have no idea how it would have looked from third person.

Is it even really a memory if it's in third person?
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Aug 3, 2009,
ummm my brain sortve did a backflip.......I remember things....I suppose.......

Woah Mind****
*Mindfuck*

I've never thought about it until now. I just recollected a few memories and they are all through the first person. Thanks Kensai.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
It's almots wholly first person for me.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Quote by darkstar2466
*Mindfuck*

I've never thought about it until now. I just recollected a few memories and they are all through the first person. Thanks Kensai.

Exactly this. It's weird when I think about it.
Here's my Youtube channel.
I play guitar and video games on it.
You're more than welcome to check it out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Born_to_shred : Next week or so
Quote by LordBishek
More importantily, how is babbys memory formed?

And most importantly, how girl get pragnent?
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Kensai
How do you recall memories?

"Here, memory. Come heeeeere!"
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
i can never picture myself in third person. it just seems so weird. i barely know what i look like.
I have no opinion on this matter.
everyone

I had an interesting discussion about it the other day. Would be interesting to see how the females vote compared to the males.

Quote by LordBishek
More importantily, how is babbys memory formed?

I'm trying to keep this serious
First person I guess.
I've always had bad long-term memory.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Crate V33 212 Combo
DigiTech Whammy IV
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR Classic Distortion
Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Boss GE-7 Equalizer

Quote by Kensai
everyone

I had an interesting discussion about it the other day. Would be interesting to see how the females vote compared to the males.

I'm trying to keep this serious

but there are no women in the Pit
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Quote by Kensai
Like the threadtitle asks, how would you recall a memory of - let's say - you sitting somewhere watching tv, biking, having a conversation, e.t.c.?

Do you remember in first-person (as in, you're looking through your own eyes) or third-person (you're not looking through your eyes, you're more an thirdparty observer of the situation of the memory you're recalling)?

Poll coming up.

Interesting thread man. I will say this, if you are remembering things in 3rd person, aren't you manipulating and diluting memories? Those aren't straight memories but perhaps the individual over-thinking them - going over them, trying to put a new spin on them. We don't know what we actually look like in some situations. There's a few I'd love to know about.

Hopeth that make senseth.
Don't be stupid. There are no girls in the internet.
ಠ_ಠ WILL GIVE HEAD

Quote by Myxer
Have to give you props that the funniest post I read in a while
Quote by GogglesVK

hazardmaster has won this thread.

Fender Stratocaster 57' Reissue (Japanese)
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Quote by Jackolas
Interesting thread man. I will say this, if you are remembering things in 3rd person, aren't you manipulating and diluting memories? Those aren't straight memories but perhaps the individual over-thinking them - going over them, trying to put a new spin on them. We don't know what we actually look like in some situations. There's a few I'd love to know about.

About that manipulation. Is that true that you don´t memorize everything the way it is when in 3rd person? Because i remember most of the things in 3rd person even the memory of clicking on this thread few minutes ago, andas far as i know i didnt ad a funny little detail or gave the plot a whole new twist with knights and zebra´s. Anyway i could be wrong,

Kensai made interest
Quote by Holy Katana
Your last job only paid you $7.00 AUD an hour? That's like $6.05 in the US. What the hell is the minimum wage over there?

Quote by titsmcgee852
$0 for volunteer work

ollollolollol

^
In second person.

amidoinitrite?

No seriously, male, in third person, Ive always thought Im weird or making it up. How can I see my memories from someone elses view? They are all probably inaccurate for that reason.
Don't think I've ever had a 3rd person memory...

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

Maybe it has something to do with how you actually imagine things aswell, if i have a conversation with someone by brain automaticly puts the subject into a ´scene´ movie-style and i always view it from 3rd person, when writing a story i always see my story in 3rd person, I never see stuff first person subconsiously, only when i plan on seeing it 1st person, otherwise EVERYTHING is 3rd person.
Quote by Holy Katana
Your last job only paid you $7.00 AUD an hour? That's like $6.05 in the US. What the hell is the minimum wage over there?

Quote by titsmcgee852
$0 for volunteer work

ollollolollol

^
Wow I've never really thought of it, second person for me first person seems kinda weird.

Mind****...
Last edited by batman187 at Aug 3, 2009,
Quote by Henkdemachtige
About that manipulation. Is that true that you don´t memorize everything the way it is when in 3rd person? Because i remember most of the things in 3rd person even the memory of clicking on this thread few minutes ago, andas far as i know i didnt ad a funny little detail or gave the plot a whole new twist with knights and zebra´s. Anyway i could be wrong,

Kensai made interest

They aren't straight memories though as you are manipulating them to make them 3rd person.

No memory can be completely unbiased anyway, but that is an obvious case of memory manipulation is it not?

Another example would be going over memories and changing details to fit what you want, or deluding yourself about things. Sometimes I've imagined me and someone else standing together, but that isn't real because I certainly didn't zone out of my own head and witness the situation in 3rd person.

So it's not really a memory more like wild imagination aided by memories.
Quote by Laces Out Danny
but there are no women in the Pit

Well one has already voted so I guess we just have to wait for the other two to show up

Quote by Jackolas

Yes you're not exactly recalling the situation correctly if you recall in third-person because everyone experiences and forms memories in first-person. Why it is that some people recall memories in third-person is interesting. I'm not sure why and initial googlesearches failed

An interesting note is the media's influence on you. I know that in the 1950's people used to dream in black-and-white because the movies were, these days people dream more in colour. Similarly, it seems that people in cultural groups that analogize waking visual experience to flat media like pictures and paintings are more likely to attribute some sort of flatness to their visual experience than those who use other sorts of analogies for visual experience.

Basically: When movies were black and white people had dreams in black and white, these days more in colour. People who had alot of "flat" media like pictures and paintings seems to have more visual experiences of a more "flat" kind.
Quote by Jackolas
They aren't straight memories though as you are manipulating them to make them 3rd person.

No memory can be completely unbiased anyway, but that is an obvious case of memory manipulation is it not?

Another example would be going over memories and changing details to fit what you want, or deluding yourself about things. Sometimes I've imagined me and someone else standing together, but that isn't real because I certainly didn't zone out of my own head and witness the situation in 3rd person.

So it's not really a memory more like wild imagination aided by memories.

That made sense, i guess it is indeed editing your memory to your own taste even if it isnt on purpose, but i just can´t automaticly see/recall the memory from 1st person since i am always thinking in 3rd person.
Quote by Holy Katana

Quote by titsmcgee852
$0 for volunteer work

ollollolollol

^
wait, is it possible to see things in second person? i cant imagine how that would work.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by Zugunruhe
wait, is it possible to see things in second person? i cant imagine how that would work.

The only thing i can think of as second person, is as a part of you (not you but a part) or someone completely else in that situation EXAMPLE: The person next to you.

If it aren´t these then its mostlikely a weird combination of third and first.

Nukedit: Or a ghostlike thought.
Quote by Holy Katana

Quote by titsmcgee852
$0 for volunteer work

ollollolollol

^
Mine is just a general feeling encompassing the scene, with a background basically. :p Rather than actually picture the scene, I remember the feeling associated with it and in a picture-form just the details in the scene that matter.
I haven't really thought about this.
But since I hacked the Matrix, I can just review any portion of my life I want, from whatever camera angle.
My life sucks, whatever way I look at it
oh, I just remembered, whenever I try to view events that have happened in my childhood, I can freely go between first and third, and my mind still believes it as a memory, whereas with recent events it is strictly 1st person, I can switch to third but my mind recognizes it as part of the imagination. I wonder if this is due to the fact that I had a different sense of perception when I was younger, so it was harder to go back into that point of view or because I was a very different person then so I don't associate with first person of that person as being my body.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
Wow i've never even noticed this before, I was at first like " what? first person of course " but then I realised it was third like almost all the time and same goes for imagining stuff
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
i'm female and i voted 50/50 as i definitely experience both and i don't think either one is more prominent. when i recall a scene, i see it in both first person and third person... it sort of switches between the two as i recall details/conversations/etc.
from daylight...
...into darkness
Page 1 of 3