When playing 5th string powerchords, it's difficult to get the up strum to hit all 3 strings without hitting the E string, unless i take the pick up early and only play the bottom 2 strings of the powerchord.
But this way I'm not hitting the root note on the up strum, which just makes it sound less rock.
Muting the E string with my finger helped. But then I am strumming the top 4 strings including the E all the time. It just seems alot easier this way.

Im wondering should I be playing the muted E string all the time with the 5th string powerchords, or should i just miss out the root note on an upstrum?

e -----------------
B -----------------
G --------5555--
D --------5555--
A --------3333--
E --------XXXX--

e -----------------
B -----------------
G --------5555---
D --------5555---
A --------3--3----
E -----------------
mute the e string either woth your index finger (whilst still fretting the chord) or your middle finger. it'll feel really weird for a while, but it really works.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny.
(")_(")

I met this chick in a bar in Sao Palo. She was drop dead gorgeous. Soft spoken, intelligent, willing.
Ya he was a let down alright.

i ROFLed
Do you mute the E with your thumb?
If not, try just having your thumb over the top of the neck so its touching the E string.

Or, you could have your index finger sticking out more so it's touching the E string, thus muting it.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Try PLAYING the E string. You play the octave of it on the D string so give it a try.
(I know its not technically correct but then neither are power chords anyway)
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I always mute my E with my index finger, works like a charm. Try that
Quote by lockedandlogan
Let me get this straight. You're asking a bunch of people who are sitting at their computers, likely due to boredom, what to do for fun.

Quote by GaijinFoot
Old chinese proverb says: Man goes to bed with itchy bum, wakes up with smelly finger

Wise words
The index finger muting is the way to go i reckon

don't really recommend doing the thumb way
Gear:
Fender American Standard Strat
Zoom G5
Blackstar HT1 mini stack

Epiphone G400 SG Goth / with Emg 81 +85
LP kit
Jackson RR24m
Jackson Dk2M
Maton EM225c
Bugera 333XL
Randall RA412XL
ISP Decimator G String
Boss Tu-2
Boss RC-2
Quote by henza_x
The index finger muting is the way to go i reckon

don't really recommend doing the thumb way

Yeah I wouldn't recommend it as such, it's just an extra way of doing it incase he wants to go down that route.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Quote by Lurcher
Try PLAYING the E string. You play the octave of it on the D string so give it a try.
(I know its not technically correct but then neither are power chords anyway)

how are they not correct? they are 5th chords, diads. nothin wrong with em.
anyway, mute the e and practice simply missing it all together.

Edit: and if you play the e string your changing the tonality of the chord, its no longer a 1st and a 5th, its a 1st and 4th
Last edited by stephen_rettie at Aug 3, 2009,
I do it with the index finger slid up enough to mute. One of my band's songs makes extensive use of the technique in the verses so I've spent a bunch of time getting it to sound clean. I agree, it feels weird at first but it gets better with time and practice.
CGCFAD

- - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - -
- 5 - 7 - 5 - 4 -
2 5 5 7 2 5 5 4 2
2 3 5 5 2 3 5 2 2
2 - 5 - 2 - 5 - 2

This is the pattern I used to practice. Each chord is played once as a quarter note then 12 times as eighth notes and go on to the next. Try doing it with these transitions and increase the tempo until it sounds smooth even at faster tempos like 200+. I did this for a little while each day and had it down after about a week.

I wrote "CGCFAD" but you can easily do it in any drop tuning.
Andy Fox
Hard rock guitarist
I play a Jackson DK-2 and an Ibanez RG through a Peavey 6505+ stack
Last edited by AndyR83 at Aug 3, 2009,
Try practicing slowly so you can play the chords any way you want instead of having to resort to stupid tricks.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by stephen_rettie
Edit: and if you play the e string your changing the tonality of the chord, its no longer a 1st and a 5th, its a 1st and 4th
I'm pretty sure he's saying to do this:

(without E string)
C G C

(with E string)
G C G C
Quote by The_Sophist
Try practicing slowly so you can play the chords any way you want instead of having to resort to stupid tricks.

+1

Bottom line - you shouldn't be hitting it in the first place. Muting is there to compensate for sympathetic vibrations and the occasional slip up, not for crappy technique.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
+1

Bottom line - you shouldn't be hitting it in the first place. Muting is there to compensate for sympathetic vibrations and the occasional slip up, not for crappy technique.

muting is no "stupid trick" as implied in the post that your +1ing.

It doesn't make up for "crappy technique", it IS the technique. (for blocking unwanted string noise).

It's common practice.

(This of-course doesn't mean a person shouldn't learn to hit the strings they intend to hit)
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 3, 2009,
Quote by GuitarMunky

muting is no "stupid trick" as implied in the post that your +1ing.

It doesn't make up for "crappy technique", it IS the technique. (for blocking unwanted string noise).

But you shouldn't need to mute anyway, muting is a stupid trick in the sense it's possible (and in this situation alot easier) to just miss off the string completly, muting should be used when there isn't another real option.
Quote by CrimsonBizzare
But you shouldn't need to mute anyway, muting is a stupid trick in the sense it's possible (and in this situation alot easier) to just miss off the string completly, muting should be used when there isn't another real option.

I totally disagree. It's a technique. It has a purpose.

It's not a way of avoiding control with the right hand as you seem to imply.

Strumming all of the strings while muting some of them has a different sound than strumming just those 2 strings. You do what you have to to get the sound your after.

I'll add that playing a power chord and not muting the unwanted strings is what I would consider to be "bad technique".
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
I totally disagree. It's a technique. It has a purpose.

It's not a way of avoiding control with the right hand as you seem to imply.

Strumming all of the strings while muting some of them has a different sound than strumming just those 2 strings. You do what you have to to get the sound your after.

I'll add that playing a power chord and not muting the unwanted strings is what I would consider to be "bad technique".

What?

It's not a bad technique. My finger automatically mutes the string to be honest, and it's a bad habbit - that's why I'm training myself not to mute the string - it's a bad technique to mute the strings.

There is a different sound, and it is a technique, but it is not for use in this circumstance.

But whatever, everybody plays the guitar differently I suppose.
Quote by CrimsonBizzare
What?

It's not a bad technique. My finger automatically mutes the string to be honest, and it's a bad habbit - that's why I'm training myself not to mute the string - it's a bad technique to mute the strings.

There is a different sound, and it is a technique, but it is not for use in this circumstance.

But whatever, everybody plays the guitar differently I suppose.

Well, your simply wrong to say that muting unwanted strings is a "stupid trick" or a "bad technique". It's a commonly used technique on guitar, and not without reason. While I can understand where you're coming from, what you propose is not supported by common practice.

If your finger automatically mutes a string, that you actually want to ring..... now your talking bad habit/technique.
shred is gaudy music
Sometimes you do want to play the strings your muting to imply a better sense of rhythm, such as in funk. Listen to players like John Mayer or SRV, or even better Nile Rodgers. Their playing wouldn't be possible at all without muting. Even when doing leads they'll often mute all the other strings so they can strum freely as they wish.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
Quote by 7even
Sometimes you do want to play the strings your muting to imply a better sense of rhythm, such as in funk. Listen to players like John Mayer or SRV, or even better Nile Rodgers. Their playing wouldn't be possible at all without muting. Even when doing leads they'll often mute all the other strings so they can strum freely as they wish.

^ thank you
shred is gaudy music
I just anchor my picking hand and palm mute all 6 strings since I'm always playing metal anyhow, might be a bit extreme but try it.
Quote by rockinrider55
I'm pretty sure he's saying to do this:

(without E string)
C G C

(with E string)
G C G C

ya i know, so the G is the root with 4th, the C
Yeah, it really all comes down to genre choice and specific sound choice that differ greatly among different players. For different purposes, you'll want to mute, skip or let it ring. Personally, I think muting with the middle finger is easiest. I mean, if you hold power chords with your index, ring and pinky, then that's what I think is best.

My 2 cents.

^^
PRS SE Custom
Line 6 Spider III

travislausch wrote:

Oli_88 wrote:
You'd kill yourself if you saw some of The Fall Of Troys song titles.

Possible future Fall Of Troy song title here?
If you aren't able to mute strings, then I would say you have bad technique.
Quote by UtBDan
this man hits the nail on the head.
Quote by blueriver
If you aren't able to mute strings, then I would say you have bad technique.

Same here.
Its not exactly hard to move your index/middle finger over.
love is love // return to dust
Quote by GuitarMunky
Well, your simply wrong to say that muting unwanted strings is a "stupid trick" or a "bad technique". It's a commonly used technique on guitar, and not without reason. While I can understand where you're coming from, what you propose is not supported by common practice.

If your finger automatically mutes a string, that you actually want to ring..... now your talking bad habit/technique.

Sorry to quote an old post, but when I said my finger automatically mutes the 6th string, I meant with 5th string power chords, - as someone above said - it isn't exactly hard to move your finger across, obviously when I don't wanna mute something, I just don't. But what I'm trying to do is make it so I don't have to mute the 6th string at all when using 5th string power chords.
But you're probably right, It's not common practice to play the 5th string power chords without muting - which is a technique, but it isn't a bad technique to mute 6th string, I just don't want myself lol.

EDIT: Yeah, but this is only when I'm not playing metal (not often), I'm usually palm muting the 6th string 90% of the time.
Last edited by CrimsonBizzare at Aug 6, 2009,