You know, I've been wondering how in the world telemarketing has stayed alive for all these years. the shows are incredibly stupid, nobody I know has ever bought off of them, and none of them are convincing. they target a very unintelligent group of people easily confused by fast talking and bright lights.
I have just, however, found an advertisement that, for the first time, actually has interested me in a product. It was a Devin Townsend video with him demonstrating his gear and talking about it, but he seemed so genuine and honest that it clicked.
I believe that if all telemarketing commercials were honest and toned down a bit, then more people would buy the products. Obviously there has been tons of research done by these companies, but I think alot of them rely to much on statistics, which have been proven to prove absolutely nothing.

thoughts, ideas? how would you do a telemarketing commercial?

EDIT: as brought to my attention by Kensai, I meant TV-shops and telephone marketers

EDIT: i mean, compare these two videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQxeYQt1OAs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUbWjIKxrrs

which one is more likely to get you to buy something? and guess which one probably cost less to make?
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Aug 3, 2009,
Quote by CoreysMonster
You know, I've been wondering how in the world telemarketing has stayed alive for all these years. the shows are incredibly stupid, nobody I know has ever bought off of them, and none of them are convincing. they target a very unintelligent group of people easily confused by fast talking and bright lights.

That just described a large portion of the pit world.

And is the word you're thinking of "tv-shop"? Telemarketing is through the phone isn't it?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Its also the single mothers who sit at home because they don't have anything else to do.
My friends mum just sat watching QVC all day and buying stuff because she had "agoraphobia"....hmmn...
Quote by metal Lover
The thought of you humping her limp body is hilarious.

im sure they get a lot of people. probably old fat people.

i always thought it was funny that comedy central always shows hours of girls gone wild commercials after they run out of programming.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by Kensai
That just described a large portion of the pit world.

And is the word you're thinking of "tv-shop"? Telemarketing is through the phone isn't it?

I thought telemarketing was any kind of broadcasted marketing?

*checks wikipedia*

EDIT: dammit, you're right. I meant telemarketing and TV-shops.
Manager :"Hmm... our product isn't selling nearly enough units. We need a new angle on our advertising"

Employerr: "Maybe.... maybe if we shouted at them?"

Manager: I LOVE IT.

I like to think that's how it worked out for most ads like that.
^ Did you get that from the stormfront forum?
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by MH400
I'd also get Obama to help out.

its funny because politics isnt very far from infomercials.
I have no opinion on this matter.
i always hang up on those people, they never have anything interesting to say yet some are gifted enough to talk me into it, so i hang up before i do something stupid.
Quote by Holy Katana
Your last job only paid you $7.00 AUD an hour? That's like $6.05 in the US. What the hell is the minimum wage over there?

Quote by titsmcgee852
$0 for volunteer work

ollollolollol

^
They always seem to call during dinner time as well, (out of me and alot of people I've spoken to).
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
i see what you mean..
but this slap chop does look pretty cool...haha
if that were to be demonstrated really slowly and quietly i wouldnt buy it....
i guess that the 'flashy lights' and 'fast talking' are appropriate for some stuff...but totally crap for something else.
It makes my laugh when they phone up in a seriously strong Indian / Asian accent, and say that their name is David or Mark.
RIP Tom Searle.
Quote by CoreysMonster
EDIT: i mean, compare these two videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQxeYQt1OAs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUbWjIKxrrs

which one is more likely to get you to buy something? and guess which one probably cost less to make?

how biased, one's selling guitars and one's selling apple-slappy things
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
You know what one really grinds my gears, is those damn ex-tenze commercials.
i think you're making a valid point here corey
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
when they call here, my mum just gives the phone to my brother who has down syndrome. he just starts jabbering away and eventually the telemarketers get annoyed and hang up.
Member Of The Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only.

I Play the Bagpipes.

they actually are a pleasant instrument.
After watching both, I only came out actually wanting the slappy thing.
-

Quote by Aléx
After watching both, I only came out actually wanting the slappy thing.

you did? not planet waves cables or sweet sweet triangle pics?
I want a fucking Slap-Chop. You know how annoying it is trying to make salads and fruit salads.

And it would be ideal for weed!
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
Quote by sebastian_96
I want a fucking Slap-Chop. You know how annoying it is trying to make salads and fruit salads.

holy crap, never thought of that!
Quote by sebastian_96

"you wanna get stoned? You don't wanna grind it. This is why you never get stoned. WE'RE GOING TO MAKE AMERICA HIGH AGAIN!!"
Quote by abstract pie
Ahh the pit. Where conversations of Pokemon Cards can turn into ones of wizard homosexuality

You are everything I want...
...'Cause you are...

...Everything I'm not.

Atheism. Is. Not. A. Religion.
Today's saints were yesterday's sellouts
Quote by CoreysMonster
holy crap, never thought of that!

I was chopping my weed while I watched it.
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!