hi, i would like you'll to rate my playing skills, i just updated them with some advanced techniques(pl note its mostly random stuff and some of them are parts of songs), pl lemme know if im any good at these techniques and also ive been playing for 2 yrs and i have recorded it with a cheap microphone and my roland cube 15x with no effects

thnx in advance......
cheers!!
Two years?

Classic example of somebody aiming for speed and nothing else.

You've perfected sloppy. I've rated you a beginner because in my eyes if you play sloppy then you can't play, anyone can mash notes at 140 bpm and miss half of them.

You really need to go back to the drawing board with the absolute basics.
Quote by Ikonoklast
Two years?

Classic example of somebody aiming for speed and nothing else.

You've perfected sloppy. I've rated you a beginner because in my eyes if you play sloppy then you can't play, anyone can mash notes at 140 bpm and miss half of them.

You really need to go back to the drawing board with the absolute basics.

which ones are u talking about are all of them crap
Yes, they're all terrible.

You have no control of dynamics, you go far too fast, your tone is horrendous, your muting is poor....you need to go back, turn down the gain, use a metronome and practice getting things CLEAN, not fast.
tone is horrible i agree but i have practiced all of this on the clean channel and can do them on the clean channel without missing notes and by clean do you mean external sounds or open strings ringing out etc
There is absolutely no way you can do that at that speed on clean. You may think you can, but if you could your notes would be even despite the excess string noise.
stirng noise the other strings were dead silent when i recorded that stuff the midnight one sounds pretty bad but thats because of the recording i think i will try and put a mp3 of me playing the sweep thing on clean, the tone is bad but i think i can hear all the notes
Last edited by fretburn at Aug 3, 2009,
i think you should have higher standards for your playing.
good job though, you can play fast. that's something that most guitarists just can't do. now you need to make it sound good.
for the playing skills thing do i have to upload a piece of music or any random thing
^How exactly can he play fast? That's the whole point, he can't play fast.

If thenotes don't sound clearly that means he can't do it.

I 'can' play 16th's at 200bpm, but it doesn't sound clean, which means i can't actually do it.

Stop telling him what he's doing is right and give him advice on how to improve.
i dont understand what ur saying the notes are clearly audible and they arent any open strings ringing out so why are u saying it isnt clean? am i not hearing something that u are hearing can u pl piont out where exactly in the mp3's do you here the extraneous sounds
I just listened to your clean sweeping.

Even when you play it slow you have strings ringing out and it doesn't sound as smooth as it should. Your timing is all over the shop. When you do it fast every single note features staccato. It sounds horrible and messy. If you think that sounds good and won't take advice even after asking for people's opinions then go forth, and carry on not listening to advice, but you will always be a poor quality guitarist and musician.

Makes me think that you only posted these expecting people to say 'OMGZ DUDE UR SO GOOD'.
Quote by fretburn
i dont understand what ur saying the notes are clearly audible and they arent any open strings ringing out so why are u saying it isnt clean? am i not hearing something that u are hearing can u pl piont out where exactly in the mp3's do you here the extraneous sounds

The notes aren't clear, that's the thing, you can hear the sound is quite scratchy, it's not your tone either, it's your playing. I'm sorry if this sounds like a dick post but it's the only way I can say it. Compare your sound to someone like Paul Gilbert or MAB (As you played his licks in the alternate picking clip) even if your gear is **** compared to his, you can still get runs to sound as clean as his if you play well enough.

Don't believe me? I have a Roland Cube myself and can get clean runs (I'm not trying to brag, I'm just telling you so you don't blame your gear)
i agree the timing is bad that is why i asked do i have to upload a piece of music or anything random in this case its something random and ur saying that every note in my sweep features staccato can u pl elaborate i think im missing the concept of a sweep and how its supposed to sound
Quote by fretburn
i agree the timing is bad that is why i asked do i have to upload a piece of music or anything random in this case its something random and ur saying that every note in my sweep features staccato can u pl elaborate i think im missing the concept of a sweep and how its supposed to sound

A sweep's meant to sound smooth, every note should sound clean and the transition between notes should be gapless (or sound like it).

If you want to hear some clean sweeping, listen to some Necrophagist, some of the cleanest sweep picking you'll hear, it's not really produced either, they can pull it off similarly live so flawlessly.
Put a metronome at 60bpm. Sweep the same pattern, but with one note per click. Make sure the downwards sweep hits the next note DEAD on the beat, and that each note lasts the ENTIRE duration of the beat. This, if you're doing it properly is what your sweeping should sound like at any speed. Yours doesn't, which is why it sounds bad.

The same goes for your alternate picking.
Last edited by Ikonoklast at Aug 3, 2009,
i uploaded one more mp3 of me doing an a minor sweep pl listen to it and tell me if its any closer or is it the same rubbish
The 'a minor' doesn't sound as bad, because your muting is a little better, but it all boils down to the same two problems:

Not using a metronome properly.
Going too fast.
ok cool i am trying it with the metronome set at 60 which is kinda slow i think i will increase it after about an hours practice any thing else that i should do?
Quote by Ikonoklast
The 'a minor' doesn't sound as bad, because your muting is a little better, but it all boils down to the same two problems:

Not using a metronome properly.
Going too fast.

I wish I had listened to this kind of person when i was starting
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by fretburn
ok cool i am trying it with the metronome set at 60 which is kinda slow i think i will increase it after about an hours practice any thing else that i should do?

Get a good teacher, they'll be able to point out flaws in your playing technique, we can only hear your sound.
ive been trying to learn these techniques from the speed kills dvd i dont have a teacher can u elaborate on playing technique do you mean the correct posture the rolling of the finger while sweeping or not anchoring ur fingers while playing?
Sloppy. Slow down.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

Quote by fretburn
ive been trying to learn these techniques from the speed kills dvd i dont have a teacher can u elaborate on playing technique do you mean the correct posture the rolling of the finger while sweeping or not anchoring ur fingers while playing?

Just start trying to learn some songs to play the whole way through cleanly and relaxed. I know it sounds weird but just from the alt picking mp3 i feel as though you are very tense. watch some shawn lane videos and just look at how relaxed he is compared to michael angelo
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
TS, can you actually play the guitar?

Because there's nothing in your profile clips that demonstrates that you can, all that's in there is noise. I can hear that you can follow a tutorial video and copy a tab, but there's nothing that remotely suggests an ability to play anything resembling music.

Have you ever actually listened to what you "play"?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by KoenDercksen
Michael Angelo looks pretty relaxed too,

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

i think i better delete all the rubbish i uploaded and upload a song that has these techniques in them ne way thank you everyone for pointing out the flaws in my playing
Quote by fretburn
i think i better delete all the rubbish i uploaded and upload a song that has these techniques in them ne way thank you everyone for pointing out the flaws in my playing

Upload a song? So we can hear your bad technique in a musical context?

Just go away and practice and don't upload until you have basic technique down - that's what i'd do anyway.
lol i would love to hear you play with all you're accuracy and everything else u have been preaching about, you must be damn good