Im looking for a pedal that will boost my sound...Not really colour/color it, just make it louder and more distorted.

I want to get some thing thats going to sound really good because I use a vintage amp with boutique pedals.

No specific budget but would rather not get a tube screamer/clone or OCD, I want some thing more like a treble booster or similar.
MI Audio Boost N Buff. Australian made (oh yeah)
quite literally the thing you are looking for.
only a bit of sparkle but it retains the same tone of your amp.

Edit: oh and its about $120US/ $179AUS

Or MXR/CAE line booster. quite a good boost. but its more expensive than Boost N buff
pretty much the same thing like boost n buff.
i have a modest rig which consists of guitar related stuff
Member of the Laney Cult
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

my band : Fragments.
Last edited by kai2demax at Aug 3, 2009,
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're after. You want a booster pedal... that "won't colour the sound", yet you want it to add distortion and boost the treble frequencies... that sounds like it's doing quite a lot of sound colouring to me!

Maybe try the Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster though? Heard good things about them, and I think it fits in with what you want.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're after. You want a booster pedal... that "won't colour the sound", yet you want it to add distortion and boost the treble frequencies... that sounds like it's doing quite a lot of sound colouring to me!

Maybe try the Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster though? Heard good things about them, and I think it fits in with what you want.

i think what he's talking about 'colour' (which incidentally is the correct spelling for colour) is the midrange boost that the tubescreamer usually makes or when the actual pedal makes a completely different tone/ not tranparent.
Member of the Laney Cult

Quote by kai2demax
i think what he's talking about 'colour' (which incidentally is the correct spelling for colour) is the midrange boost that the tubescreamer usually makes or when the actual pedal makes a completely different tone/ not tranparent.

Yeah, but boosting the treble is also going to give a completely different tone, as is adding distortion... if he wanted a transparent boost, that would surely be a clean boost he was after. Anyway, I don't get your comment about 'colour'. I'm a brit, I spell colour with the 'u' in it naturally...only americans drop the 'u'. I only put quotation marks around "colour the sound" because I was directly quoting his usage of the phrase that I didn't understand.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Yeah, but boosting the treble is also going to give a completely different tone, as is adding distortion... if he wanted a transparent boost, that would surely be a clean boost he was after. Anyway, I don't get your comment about 'colour'. I'm a brit, I spell colour with the 'u' in it naturally...only americans drop the 'u'. I only put quotation marks around "colour the sound" because I was directly quoting his usage of the phrase that I didn't understand.

oh lol. sorry dude, i was just taking the piss out of american spelling. but yes, i suppose that a clean boost would be correct, but when you add a clean boost to a tube amp, it adds distortion anyways (well when its cranked at least).
Member of the Laney Cult

Quote by joe_k
maybe look into catalinbread. can't remeber what the boost is called though.

there's the serrano picoso and the super chilli picoso.

When I was looking around for clean boosts, I had to decide between the Catalinbreads and the Mi Audio Boost 'N' Buff. I got the Mi Audio pedal because of the price at the time. Either of these pedals will do if you want a more 'transparent' boost.
the two cleanest most boutique pedals on the planet
old thread
basically the fuchs or the creation audio labs, just click the link.

if you want a treble booster then thats another thing entirely. you can do both. you will get different results with the boost before or after the treble boost. you just have to decide if you want germanium treble boost or not germanium. germanium is a lot smoother less harsh less ear peircing squeel. germanium is does things your sound. its not just an EQ. think queen. thats what germanium treble boost sounds like. if you do decide to go after a germanium treble booster, I can tell you of 3 or 4 good quality hand made pedals. I'm not gonna hunt down the link unless you need it.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
Clean boosts to add to your list:
bmf effects fat bastard
Tim/Timmy If you don't mind waiting or paying more than what the maker sells them for
noc 3 has a boost pedal, but I haven't tried it yet. Worth checking out, or their pure drive pedal.
A EHX Lpb-1 would do the trick.
Check out www.proguitarshop.com , either on Youtube or their website. They do a ridiculous amount of boost pedals from all of the best companies. Their Youtube vidoes are amazing in terms of both audio and demo quality, and should give you an idea of what to expect.
How about one of them OCD's by Fulltone? They don't colour the tone much.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by pak1351
Clean boosts to add to your list:
bmf effects fat bastard
Tim/Timmy If you don't mind waiting or paying more than what the maker sells them for
noc 3 has a boost pedal, but I haven't tried it yet. Worth checking out, or their pure drive pedal
This, they're very reasonably priced at $125, but there is a wait time for one. Still, one of the cleanest, most transparent boost on the market. Perfect for Marshall type amps.