hi. so i got a 2007 PRS SE Standard that i wish to mod a little.. i want to replace my black plastic mounting rings with a brass-chrome one. unfortunately, all the chrome staggered mounting rings i've found are very expensive (30+ USD).. then i found this pair chrome mounting rings on guitarfetish for cheap but they are in a flat spec..

here's what my guitar currently has:
http://store.guitarfetish.com/pablstheflbo.html

here's what i want:
http://store.guitarfetish.com/pachbrpiri.html

question.. is there a difference if i use the flat ones compared to staggered? what problems might i encounter if i use the flat ones?.. is it ok to replace the staggered ones with flat?.. thanks..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Ibanez AEG8E-NT w/ Seymour Duncan Woody SC
Yupangco Classical Guitar
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
it will work, but the pickup will be on an angle. The guitar body sometimes has a body angle to accommodate for the neck angle meaning that the pickup rings need to have an opposite angle so that the pickups sit level.
flat are for flat top guitars I guess.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
the staggered/tapered mounting rings are only inclined at the top.. they are still flat bottomed so they are also for flat bodied guitars..

thanks guitarcam123.. what can i do to make it sit level when i use the flat chrome ones?.. could i just twist the part of the pickup where you put the screws (pickup holes?) so it could compensate?..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
to be honest, the cheapest way to go about it is to just buy a spray can of chrome paint and paint them (plus sanding)
waah!! i don't want chrome plastic plated.. i think it looks cheap.. and might be scraped off after sometime.. haha.. i want to go for the real thing.. thanks anyway..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
You could always put the chromed metal ones over top of your stock ones. Ive never seen the metal ones in anything but but the flat set up. Its much easier to mold plastic into the beveled flat/arched bottom than it would be the metal 1s. Probably why the metal 1s you found were so expensive they usually need to be machined. And real chrome has gotten to be an expensive process due to the environmental laws.
Quote by -MintSauce-
Staggered are for guitars with a high neck angle, like a Les Paul with a Tune-O-Matic.

Flat rings are for guitars with pretty much no neck angle, like a Jackson Randy Rhoads with a Floyd Rose.

well mine's a PRS SE Standard which is flat top and has a wrap-around tailpiece..

@ tackleberry..
yep.. i also think that they are expensive because of the cost of materials and labor..
oh well...
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
The rings you linked to are thin.
The pickups will stand much taller than that and it won't look as nice as having taller rings.
Imho, get taller chrome rings or stay with the black.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by deltacross
well mine's a PRS SE Standard which is flat top and has a wrap-around tailpiece..

@ tackleberry..
yep.. i also think that they are expensive because of the cost of materials and labor..
oh well...

And thats why you have staggered rings, because wrap-arounds need an angled neck pocket because of how high the bridge makes the action.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
The rings you linked to are thin.
The pickups will stand much taller than that and it won't look as nice as having taller rings.
Imho, get taller chrome rings or stay with the black.

yes.. they are thin. probably the same as an ibanez RG321.. however, that's the cheapest i could get.. don't want to spend 30 USD or more on just mounting rings.. think SG standards.. they have pickups which are mounted directly on the pickguard..

i'm thinking it would look like this.. got this picture from the les paul forum.. anyway, i imagined the mounting ring would be as thin as the pickuguard.. would this look bad?.. (just set aside the pickups that are not parallel to the strings)
would the pickup look overly high?

Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R