Went to the guitar store and saw this amp, the Laney VC15 going on sale for 3315 HKD (428 USD, or 254 GBP), which is a lot cheaper than the Blackstar HT-5 (which I can get for about 100 USD more, since I have to order it online).

So how does this amp compare to the Blackstar HT-5 and is the HT-5 stack worth the extra dough?

INFO: I play 80s metal to modern metal, a little bit of classic rock. Cleans are not a big deal. I will buy a distortion pedal if needed.

Thanks.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Get the Blackstar. The Laney is VERY vintage voiced and doesn't have much gain at all, it can do classic rock at the most.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Just realized what an awesome deal I am getting on the Laney. List price: 929.99 USD, and it's retailing at the store for 428.

don't worry it's not a fake

P.S. just watched a few youtube vids. without any effects/pedals, it seems to be able to do hard rock and 'light' (whatever word that is) metal alright. I am going to buy a Digitech HardWire TL-2 anyway so maybe this Laney is a better choice. Also I don't have to have it shipped over here from mainland China, like I would if I buy the Blackstar.
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Last edited by HellBoy9393 at Aug 3, 2009,
if you get the laney you're spending a lot on awesome cleans and if youre not going to use them it'd be a bit of a waste. with a decent...keyword: decent, distortion pedal you can get metallica gain ok but it's still a vintage voiced amp and wont sound 100% credible.

if the HT-5 is too much for you, look at the laney LC15, more gain, worse cleans, good for metal
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Yeah exactly. The VC15 is really a light rock amp and not using it for that is a stupid idea. Having played it it will lack the bottom and not be tight enough for metal. I'd spend the extra money on the Blackstar which is a GREAT metal amp!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Well If you can't play them I still think the blackstar is better suited to what you want to play. The VC could be boosted, but the balckstar would do heavy stuff much better on it's own. I like both amps, but they're very different. If you can play the VC-15 and it does what you want that's ok, but I wouldn't trust the demo's on youtube for judging amps, since it's compressed and they often sound different
Alright..got it...I'll just see if someone who has owned a VC15 has anything to say.
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by HellBoy9393
I'll just see if someone who has owned a VC15 has anything to say.

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo

LOL

Well let's just say I'll wait for some more replies
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by HellBoy9393
LOL

Well let's just say I'll wait for some more replies

translation: youre going to wait for someone to tell you what you want to hear then buy the wrong amp then come back here in a month and ask which boss metal pedal you should get
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
translation: youre going to wait for someone to tell you what you want to hear then buy the wrong amp then come back here in a month and ask which boss metal pedal you should get

no, more replies= better informed decision.

I'm actually leaning more towards the Blackstar. It's the amp I've been wanting for the past few weeks but it's hard to get a hold of.
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by HellBoy9393
no, more replies= better informed decision.

I'm actually leaning more towards the Blackstar. It's the amp I've been wanting for the past few weeks but it's hard to get a hold of.

Ok, well the thing is everybody is going to agree with us. It's a great deal on the VC15, but as you said you only need hard overdrive, well it's really the wrong amp. It's got a smooth vintage tone with loose bass. The Blackstar instead has the amount of tightness and defined bass that's needed for metal.

But nice to see you're listening to us
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

VC15 probably wont suit you for metal. i heard a guy playing one in a metal band and imo wasn't impressed, and i'm a laney fanboy! Not really a metal amp.

TM
Quote by HellBoy9393
Alright..got it...I'll just see if someone who has owned a VC15 has anything to say.

That would be me...

personally, on its own it was never going to do everything I wanted it to. My main aim was for a JCM800/overdriven 80's sound like judas priest on defenders of the faith as well as get some Van Halen to Led Zeppelin to Megadeth sorta tones and with what I've got out in front of my amp now I can get really good sounds for all of those things.

When I say good sounds I'm not talking about mimicking the sounds on the albums of those bands but very similar ones that sound great anyway. On its own, you don't get very far in terms of gain, adding the OCD was a big help though although the bottom end was still very flabby. The EQ which i only recently got has been a bit of a revelation though, really helped me dial out the flabbyness and boost the marshally sounding mids.

One thing you should keep in mind about all this though is that I run my amp very hot, master vol never goes below 8, preamp gain is always up around 6-7 and the OCD has the clean boost at about 3-4 o'clock which is a lot of extra dB. Probably not the best thing for it in the long run, but man when you wind it out it can really roar.

I was also in a similar position to you in the price stakes as well, I picked mine up second hand for 40% off retail and I think it was a steal. Sure i had to buy an OCD, Wah and EQ to get it where I wanted it but just about everybody has those 3 pedals.

hope that helps

EDIT: just read you're into modern metal as well, this amp definitely does not suit that
Last edited by Diamond Dave at Aug 3, 2009,
I just saw a used Laney LC15R on my local classifieds going for 194 USD. Might check that out, since it seems to have a decent gain channel. Good deal or not?

Oh and thanks for all the help guys. The VC15 just isn't my thing.
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by Gabel
Well that sounds like a sweet deal for the LC15!

Awesome!

What was the list price? It's apparently discontinued so I wouldn't be surprised if nobody knew .
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by HellBoy9393
Awesome!

What was the list price? It's apparently discontinued so I wouldn't be surprised if nobody knew .

i remember them being more than the vc15's, not by much though
VC15 is excellent for hard rock, modern rock and older metal like Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden or something like that. Even though it's vintage voiced it can manage modern sounds very well. It's not a metal amp, but it can manage heavy tones as well!
I have the LC30 and its not bad for metal, a little muddy though. should be fine with an OD
Sorry for bumping up and old thread, but I thought it'd be easier for you guys to understand the background.

Basically I tried out the Laney VC15-110 in the store today, paired up with an Epiphone Les Paul standard and a HardWire TL-2 distortion pedal, I am THOROUGHLY impressed. On it's own, it could do hard rock very well and I was overall very satisfied. With the pedal I could get some extremely warm, tight tones. It blew my crappy little Ibanez Toneblaster out of the water. Chords and notes sounded SO defined and clear. (it was the first time I've tried out a tube amp with distortion)

While I was there, i tested out the Vox AC4TV, and wasn't quite as impressed. The overdrive was not all that great and even with the TL-2 i could not get a good metal tone out of it. Maybe it was because of the Yamaha Strat test guitar that they gave me .

I also tried out the Vox VT30. Not really my thing. It's very hard to get the sound you want because of the preset models.

I think I might just go ahead and buy the Laney VC15. Metal is the music I love to play for now, but that could change in the future and therefore I need the versatility.
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Yeah, the bottom end is pretty flabby. I have that kinda problem when I play Stoner Metal kinda stuff.

I'm gonna get a Celestion G12h for it soon, so that might help it out.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by HellBoy9393
Sorry for bumping up and old thread, but I thought it'd be easier for you guys to understand the background.

Basically I tried out the Laney VC15-110 in the store today, paired up with an Epiphone Les Paul standard and a HardWire TL-2 distortion pedal, I am THOROUGHLY impressed. On it's own, it could do hard rock very well and I was overall very satisfied. With the pedal I could get some extremely warm, tight tones. It blew my crappy little Ibanez Toneblaster out of the water. Chords and notes sounded SO defined and clear. (it was the first time I've tried out a tube amp with distortion)

While I was there, i tested out the Vox AC4TV, and wasn't quite as impressed. The overdrive was not all that great and even with the TL-2 i could not get a good metal tone out of it. Maybe it was because of the Yamaha Strat test guitar that they gave me .

I also tried out the Vox VT30. Not really my thing. It's very hard to get the sound you want because of the preset models.

I think I might just go ahead and buy the Laney VC15. Metal is the music I love to play for now, but that could change in the future and therefore I need the versatility.

Not to sound like an ass, but I still don't think the VC15 is a good choice. You might like it now, but that's because you honestly ahve no experience of amps.

Plus the amps you compared to are all low gain amps. Of course the VC15 sounded the best for now. But once you've tried something like a Mesa you will hate your Laney...
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gabel
Not to sound like an ass, but I still don't think the VC15 is a good choice. You might like it now, but that's because you honestly ahve no experience of amps.

Plus the amps you compared to are all low gain amps. Of course the VC15 sounded the best for now. But once you've tried something like a Mesa you will hate your Laney...

Exactly.

I mean if it works for him, it's fine, but he could do much better.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Well those are all the low-wattage tube amps that are available in my area.

I would love a Blackstar HT-5 . It'd be great if you could suggest a high-gain low-wattage tube amp other than the HT-5.

I know a Mesa would sound alot better, but I'll probably never buy one until I think of myself as a qualified musician.
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Why not the LC15, then?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by HellBoy9393
Well those are all the low-wattage tube amps that are available in my area.

I would love a Blackstar HT-5 . It'd be great if you could suggest a high-gain low-wattage tube amp other than the HT-5.

I know a Mesa would sound alot better, but I'll probably never buy one until I think of myself as a qualified musician.

What I meant was that if you've tried a high gain amp you'll hate the VC15.

Well you could of course bet and just get the Blackstar without trying it. Stupid as it may sound I have done that. Three times. I got my OCD, Fulldrive and even my 18watter without trying one! All the times it worked for me. What I did was that I searched for EVERY soundclip I could find and read statements and reviews. I did all the research I could and it worked perfect for me.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Raijouta
Why not the LC15, then?

I'm not too fond of buying used products, I'd prefer new. Also, I'm starting to get more into cleaner music like blues and funk and I figured I won't be playing metal 4 life. I'd imagine the VC15 is more versatile and can really get some nice overdrive tones, yet I can still get a good metal sound out of it with the TL-2.
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by HellBoy9393
I'm not too fond of buying used products, I'd prefer new. Also, I'm starting to get more into cleaner music like blues and funk and I figured I won't be playing metal 4 life. I'd imagine the VC15 is more versatile and can really get some nice overdrive tones, yet I can still get a good metal sound out of it with the TL-2.

You also might play metal until the very end, but you might have gotten into many other genres that you also love to play. VC15 has very good cleans and hard rock tone, and if you like the metal tone you can get from your TL-2, then I'd say go for it. I think VC15 has an amazing quality/price ratio.

Right now I don't play metal, but if I some day will play, I guess I'll just buy an OD pedal for the VC15 and go with it. If the tone does not please me, I'll sell the amp and buy another one. I bet you can sell it for a good price in the future when it's time for an amp upgrade.