I'm getting my first tube amp in a couple of weeks, and now i found out that I know nothing of the basics of taking care of a tube amp. Looking through the forums I haven't found a good bundle about this subject so, with the help of people who know more about this I was thinking of creating a thread with all the basics for first time tube amp owners. I'm not talking about the technical facts, just the information the average user needs.

I'm talking about: transport, cold/humidity, cleaning the insides, tube replacement, the standby-mode, extensive playing on high volume, ...
And overall bits of information that you can only learn through experience
I'm going to try and address each of your issues as best I can, Transport: first thing to remember is never move a hot tube amp, this makes the tubes much more likely to break, just give it a few minutes to cool down before you move it. When the tubes are cold it really isn't that difficult to transport the amp, tube amps aren't as fragile as people like to tell you they are. In my exoerience cold and humidity (except extreme cold or humiduty) generally don't do any real harm but still best to keep the amp at room temperature. Cleaning the insides isn't something i've ever done so i won't comment. Changing tubes: really only needs to be done about every 2 years or so at most, depending on the amp they are usually quite easy to change. When you're switching on the amp you must always put it onto standby before you switch it on fully, this will prolong the life of your tubes. At high volumes your amp will sound its very best but extensive playing at high volumes will diminish the life of your valves and speaker(s)
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
just to clarify what he said, a valve is a tube, americans call them tubes.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
Quote by fullsailstudent
just to clarify what he said, a valve is a tube, americans call them tubes.

Always drives me mad, i'm half way through a post where i've been talking about tubes and then suddenly i'm talking about valves
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Quote by Bossman123
Always drives me mad, i'm half way through a post where i've been talking about tubes and then suddenly i'm talking about valves

Cry me a river
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
[I'm talking about: transport, cold/humidity, cleaning the insides, tube replacement, the standby-mode, extensive playing on high volume, ...
And overall bits of information that you can only learn through experience

Everything you write is better on Solid states amps, only sound, response and dynamic is better on tube amps.But you did not ask about this.
You should very care about:
transport, cold/humidity, cleaning the insides, tube replacement, the standby-mode!

But playing at high volume are usually sound very good.You should switch on tube amp around 1 hour to get the best sounds from tube amp.
For using tube amps, in shortly, you need time.If you do not have time before and after you play, you should use SS amps.