Hey all.

I'm not satisfied at all with the electronics on my OLP MM-2. Firstly, the electronics are really noisy and I get constant hum whenever I want a single coil tone. Secondly, the tone control sounds like absolute crap when you turn it down. That said, the bass plays well and I like how it looks.

So, I want to replace the pickup and the pots. I'm thinking of putting a Seymour Duncan SMB-4A in, but I have no idea what to do about the pots/where to get them. Does anyone know what value pots I will need or where I can get them? I'm also open to any pickup suggestions or wiring configurations. I'm just looking to get as close to authentic Stingray tone as possible. I can't find any source for real musicman pickups, so they are a no go.

Thanks.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Last edited by breadstick at Aug 4, 2009,
That pickup is wired to be active, you'll need a preamp to go with it, and that means digging a hole in your bass, putting it in and re-doing the electronics.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
i have a seymour duncan basslines musicman pickup which can be wired passive in my EBMM SUB/OLP project bass and it sounds great. Not sure about pots etc but syemour duncan make an aftermarket preamp for it too, there MAY be space for a battery under the control plate depending on how it's wired, if it's actual wiring, opposed to the PCB style ones in actual ebmm basses.

Is yours active or passive? i think some of the newer ones were active?
Quote by budget bassist
i have a seymour duncan basslines musicman pickup which can be wired passive in my EBMM SUB/OLP project bass and it sounds great. Not sure about pots etc but syemour duncan make an aftermarket preamp for it too, there MAY be space for a battery under the control plate depending on how it's wired, if it's actual wiring, opposed to the PCB style ones in actual ebmm basses.

Is yours active or passive? i think some of the newer ones were active?

Mine is passive. I think it's one of the really early OLP's as it has a natural finish (no flame) and I haven't been able to find many others like it.

I'll take the control plate off to see if I can fit a battery in there, but I'd rather avoid having to rout out my bass...I'm hoping to just wire it passively like you did.

Edit:
I don't think a battery will fit...See for yourself:

I had a little accident while taking off the control plate...You see, I sort of picked up the bass, and the control plate fell off, which made the purple wire break off. I'm pretty sure it's the earthing wire, but I have no idea where to solder it to. Does anyone know where I need to solder it?
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Last edited by breadstick at Aug 3, 2009,