I bought a Marshall JMP-1 Preamp on ebay. Im going to use my rectoverb as a power amp until I get a proper power amp. The cameras charging so I don't have any pics yet but in the meantime, what kind of cable do I use to connect the preamp and power amp? Instrument or speaker cable?
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb Combo
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
i'd say instrument cable but i don't know for sure as i have 0 experience with rack-mount guitar preamps.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Pics (sorry about the horrible quality)

Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
Nice pre!!

Also, use instrument cable for everything except the cable to the speakers.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Quote by mogar
Nice pre!!

Also, use instrument cable for everything except the cable to the speakers.

+1
WTLTL 2011
I know that tube combos and heads get damaged if they aren't hooked up to a speaker, but is that true with preamps?

I hooked it up using speaker cable and it sounds amazing! It's so much tighter than my rectoverb. It sounds like a JCM-800 but for half the price!
Quote by Invader Jim

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
hey,can some one Explain to me what pre amps are and how they work,i think i have a rough idea but im a bit of a noob thanx
My Gig Rig...

Fender Straocaster or Gibson Les Paul Slash Special -->Lovepedal Amp 50 --> Boss DD-3 --> Crybaby(soon to be Wh10 reissue) --> Big Muff PI --> Boss DS-2 --> Marshall JCM 900
Quote by ChiliFan01
hey,can some one Explain to me what pre amps are and how they work,i think i have a rough idea but im a bit of a noob thanx

Normal guitar head = preamp + poweramp

preamp is basically the modelling/gain/eqing stage of the amp, and the poweramp amplifies the signal.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Aug 3, 2009,
Quote by ChiliFan01

To put it simply: A tube combo or head is basically a preamp and power amp combined. Preamps make the tone but you need a power amp to hear the sound through speakers.
Quote by Invader Jim

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
so...like my combo has a preamp out and power amp in slot could i run one through mine?
My Gig Rig...

Fender Straocaster or Gibson Les Paul Slash Special -->Lovepedal Amp 50 --> Boss DD-3 --> Crybaby(soon to be Wh10 reissue) --> Big Muff PI --> Boss DS-2 --> Marshall JCM 900
If your amp has an effects loop, you can plug a preamp into the combo's return jack. If that's what your asking.
Quote by Invader Jim

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
So basicly they change your tone
My Gig Rig...

I finally figured out how to open the thing up. One of the screws was stripped and wouldn't come out but I finally got it. I also looked up the serial number and it was built in December, 2000.

Gut shot:

I think these are the original tubes:
Quote by Invader Jim

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
Quote by ChiliFan01
So basicly they change your tone

Yes, a preamp is were your tone is created, it contains the EQ the distortion and all the FX. The preamp is basicly everything between the source (your guitar) and the power, so your pedals are in a way part of the preamp section. So yeah, you can buy a preamp and run in the effect return of your combo, then you will be bypassing the preamp section of your combo and only using it's Power amp. Also somthing important to know, even if the preamp is creating the tone, the power amp has alot to do in that, in fact what makes a tube sound like a tube amp is the tube power section. So a tube preamp through a SS power amp won't give you that warm tube tone.
doooood, wheres the kleenex? i got sum on me...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.