total musical and guitar noob here so please forgive ignorance. is this a good idea? My eventual goal is to play 90's rock/grunge and some 80's stuff like EVH. My guitar (yamaha 012 dlx) has an HSS set-up. Is it OK to just set the five position switch to the humbucker setting and practice with it like that all the time? thanks
its perfectly fine

/thread
Quote by Valid12891
I wish I had an extra sensitive third nipple, and a girl who was into that sort of thing.

Quote by _Ixnay_
In Russia, Winter Cold + Vodka + Big-Chested Women = No problem.

Book of shadows 2?
O_o
yes perfectly ok... a lot of guitars (les pauls) only come with humbuckers. you use that selector switch to find the best setting for your style, and if that happens to be the bucker, then it is
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
no, it's not a problem

pointless thread...
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
thanks. in your opinions the humbucker is the best pick-up for all 90's rock in general. thanks
Quote by SKOOBEY
thanks. in your opinions the humbucker is the best pick-up for all 90's rock in general. thanks

Not really, as humbuckers come in all flavors and all sound different. Pretty much what everyone is saying is practice with whatever pickup you want and whatever sounds good to you.
if you like it's tone then yes. and you probably shouldnt make so many threads.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
just move the switch to wherever it sounds best for what you are playing at the moment. It is perfectly fine no matter where it is. Just see where it sounds best.
what is the point of this?

how about instead of making all 5 positions the humbucker setting you just leave the switch on the humbucker setting?
Quote by al112987
what is the point of this?

how about instead of making all 5 positions the humbucker setting you just leave the switch on the humbucker setting?

I'm pretty sure he's just asking if its alright to leave it on the humbucker setting all the time.

To TS: Yup, it's fine, do whatever you want, wouldn't do much damage as far as I know.
Ibanez S540

MXR EVH Phaser
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez WD-7
Electro Harmonix LPB-1

Traynor YCS 50 Blue
Why not rip the two singles, the switch and two knobs out, and only have one HB and a volume knob?

If the question is 'is it okay to use my HB all the time' of course it is. You can play your guitar however you like.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
at GC there are plenty of guitars with just two humbucker pickups. what genre of music are those instuments made to play? just curious, thats whay i was asking.
el cheapo gear but it works
Quote by SKOOBEY
at GC there are plenty of guitars with just two humbucker pickups. what genre of music are those instuments made to play? just curious, thats whay i was asking.

The same as SSH and HSH guitars. You can cover a lot of different sounds with SSH or SH or HSH or HH. It's all about preference, some people like how HBs sound in the neck, some people prefer singles.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
i never used my neck pickup for probably the first 2 years i played never saw the point. now i love it, you'll either end up seeing the value in it OR end up with a single pickup guitar. either way is fine
In the end it's all up to whatever you find sounds best. For example, I now use an HH guitar. However, I switch to the neck pickup for cleans and the bridge pickup for distortion, because they seem to sound better that way. The cleans don't sound too twangy, and the distortions don't sound too muddled. It's a pretty common way to do it.

Feel free to experiment, play around with the toggles and see what you like best, and just stick with it. Music is pretty subjective, so as long as it appeals to you, go for it.