19 24%
Linux
9 11%
i dunno lol
8 10%
Voters: 79.
Page 1 of 2
'Sup /b-

No. No we dont go down that road again.....

Hello Pit. With my new computer arriving in a matter of days, i decided it was time for a little OS debating, and dont go all "OLOLOL searchbar n00b omfg" cause as far as i saw there wasnt an OS debate thread. My new computer is getting Vista Home Premium on it, and all my idiot friends did the 'cool' thing and went "OMG y u get vista its teh suxorz!"*. To which i provided the following argument:

Billy: Hey dad, whats an operating system supposed to do?

Dad: Well Billy, an operating system is supposed to provide an environment where many different kinds of software can run well.

Billy: But Linux, OSX, and Vista do that well! How do I decide?

Dad: Well Billy, you have to now assess what kind of software you're going to be using. Which OS looks the most appropriate now?

Billy: Well, OSX is good for graphic design, but nearly all of its programs also run on Vista or have comparable software also for Vista. Linux has a lot of great software, but just can't really compete really with the huge libraries of software for Macs and Windows.

But in terms of number of software available, Vista seems to have the most. It also runs new and upcoming games, and also runs classic PC games while XP is left in the dust without DX10.

Dad: There you have it son, Vista, which is an operating system, runs ****ING EVERYTHING!!!!

SO STOP BITCHING UNTIL THE OTHER OPERATING SYSTEMS CAN COMPETE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So thats my reasoning for choosing Vista(that and a free upgrade to 7). What does the Pit think?
I am an officially ordained Dudist Priest.

"Human beings are miraculous for their ability to learn and adapt from their mistakes, but even more so for their apparent disinclination to do so." Douglas Adams
What? Linux has a ****ton of software available, and most of it for free. I can install any of some 20,000 programs available in the ubuntu respositories with one command.
I like Vista, but I've never used Linux or OSX. Can't make a fair judgement.

Have you tried the computer thread?
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Quote by Stormx
Also, with Windows 7 out soon, you may want to add that.

You're missing something.
Quote by Grindar
You're missing something.

Oh sorry. What about Windows XP with the official Jonas Brothers(TM) theme?
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Excuse me?

This is a vs. thread. And all you've done is rape you Caps lock button., why the hell do we need a thread where people can bitch about Macs being better?

+100,000
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
GRANTED! NOW YOU COMMIT SUICIDE!

i wish lexanirider didn't have to kill himself.

What's your fastest Super Metroid time?

PM me and let me know.
You can run VMware like Wine if you want to do stuff like use MS word in Linux. I've never really needed any windows specific programs anyway. I still dual boot for games though. I'm a total noob so I run Ubuntu. Thinkin of trying out Fedora though or maybe open SUSE

EDIT: Linux is the open source operating system. The OSOS. How awesome is that?
Last edited by Nietsche at Aug 3, 2009,
I don't think the update from Vista to Windows 7 is free. I remember seeing somewhere about a price. I'll try and dig it up.
Lift not the painted veil which those who live
Call life; though unreal shapes be pictured there,
And it but mimic all we would believe
Quote by Stormx
What? Linux has a ****ton of software available, and most of it for free. I can install any of some 20,000 programs available in the ubuntu respositories with one command.

And that's the problem with Linux. Until anyone, no matter how computer illiterate, can install a program, it'll never be mainstream.
hello
you can't play COD4 on a Mac... and Vista is just crap. And never used Linux so XP for me
I can't wait for my upgrade to Windows 7. Pro Tools better get off their asses and make a Windows 7 version.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by opc100
And that's the problem with Linux. Until anyone, no matter how computer illiterate, can install a program, it'll never be mainstream.
There are 80 year olds that can use Ubuntu
Quote by opc100

You actually don't even need a command anymore with Ubuntu. They've got the Synaptic Package Manager and another one that I can't remember the name of, but both use GUIs and require no Konsole commands.
Quote by Ajax413
I don't think the update from Vista to Windows 7 is free. I remember seeing somewhere about a price. I'll try and dig it up.

Getting an upgrade coupon for $29 with a $29 rebate. I call it free.
I am an officially ordained Dudist Priest.

"Human beings are miraculous for their ability to learn and adapt from their mistakes, but even more so for their apparent disinclination to do so." Douglas Adams
Quote by Don_Leno
Getting an upgrade coupon for $29 with a $29 rebate. I call it free.

My mistake then. The article I read was about from 7 Home to Professional, etc. I will have to look into this free upgrade then, as I would love to try 7.
Quote by Nietsche
There are 80 year olds that can use Ubuntu

Well done to them. There are 20 year olds that can't.
hello
Quote by opc100
Well done to them. There are 20 year olds that can't.
No, really there's a GUI for practically everything. I haven't needed to go to command line once (I still have but that's because I like pretending to know stuff about computers)
Windows 7. I'm running the RTM, it's amazing.

Edit100:
Quote by Nietsche
No, really there's a GUI for practically everything. I haven't needed to go to command line once (I still have but that's because I like pretending to know stuff about computers)

I didn't realise. I've only ever used to command line.
Linux is never going to be mainstream because of people's suspicion of things that are free, and because of the fear of something different. People are used to windows, so will stay with it. The more adventurous may try something new, but the majority won't.
hello
Last edited by opc100 at Aug 3, 2009,
I like Vista out of those.... bite me. Windows XP is so old and outdated and I still remember having to download a dozen security updates every week because there were so many damned holes in it. Good on Microsoft for at least addressing them though.

But, I'm currently running the Windows 7 RC and unless they totally screw it up from now till then, Windows 7 will kick the hell out of all those options listed.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by opc100
I didn't realise. I've only ever used to command line.
Linux is never going to be mainstream because of people's suspicion of things that are free, and because of the fear of something different. People are used to windows, so will stay with it. The more adventurous may try something new, but the majority won't.
You're talking about the west. Over in places like india and africa Linux'll catch like wildfire because it's free and countries like that don't have the $100 a head to pay for microsoft licenses. And suspicion of things that are free? Something like 30% of internet traffic is bittorrent traffic. People like free things expecially if the free thing runs almost/just/better than the thing that costs money (As a side note I think windows should be free because intellectual property is bull**** but )
Quote by zombies
you can't play COD4 on a Mac... and Vista is just crap. And never used Linux so XP for me

yeah you can

I use a Mac because I like the interface, and because I'm used to it. On a less relevant (nowadays) point, I started using it because it was better for multitasking on slower, old machines with single cores. I had a 400Mhz Mac running OS X (10.3), which was capable of running iTunes, a web browser, mail, msn and microsoft word simultaneously without being unusably slow. I had a similar spec machine running XP which could barely do any of those things.

That's obviously a bit in the past, but I got used to the interface, and I prefer it now. I still have the old 400Mhz machine running iTunes in my workshop, the PSU is a bit dodgy nowadays though.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by thankyougermany
I like Vista out of those.... bite me. Windows XP is so old and outdated and I still remember having to download a dozen security updates every week because there were so many damned holes in it. Good on Microsoft for at least addressing them though.

But, I'm currently running the Windows 7 RC and unless they totally screw it up from now till then, Windows 7 will kick the hell out of all those options listed.

This. I never really liked Windows XP, coming straight from Windows 95 and 98 machines. The good old days...

I'm running the Windows 7 RC too, and it beats the hell out of Vista in terms of speed, doesn't take long to get used to at all (especially if you've been using Vista) and, well, it just works. I don't know how I'm going to go back the Vista when the 7 RC activation runs out next year, I'm gonna have to try and find a way to crack it...
Quote by Nietsche
You're talking about the west. Over in places like india and africa Linux'll catch like wildfire because it's free and countries like that don't have the $100 a head to pay for microsoft licenses. And suspicion of things that are free? Something like 30% of internet traffic is bittorrent traffic. People like free things expecially if the free thing runs almost/just/better than the thing that costs money (As a side note I think windows should be free because intellectual property is bull**** but )

Yes, suspicion of things that are free. There was an experiment in which a guy went up to people and offered the some free money and something like 90% of people refused.
hello
Vista x64 until Win 7. I can edit photos on my Macbook Pro just fine, but I can edit them better on my custom with i7 rig with 6gb of RAM(currently, soon 12gb) and a 1.8GB Nvidia 295 GTX.

Plus everytime I try to game on the MBP with a 30" monitor, it over heats and shuts off....well shucks, that was easy.
I play guitar like a pirate with two hooks....so...uh...just call me Meathook! Yar!
vista 'til windows 7 definately. everyone who says vista is crap either need to get off the bandwagon or get off the computer before they hurt themselves
Quote by opc100

Stop talking out your arse.

Applications > Add/Remove

How hard was that?
Quote by cokronk
Vista x64 until Win 7. I can edit photos on my Macbook Pro just fine, but I can edit them better on my custom with i7 rig with 6gb of RAM(currently, soon 12gb) and a 1.8GB Nvidia 295 GTX.

Plus everytime I try to game on the MBP with a 30" monitor, it over heats and shuts off....well shucks, that was easy.

Wow, 12 gigs of ram is so useful. So is listing the amount of memory on your video card.

Fuck off.
Quote by Grindar

Wow, 12 gigs of ram is so useful. So is listing the amount of memory on your video card.

Fuck off.

It is quite useful if you're talking about playing Grand Theft Auto IV... which likes at least 1GB video memory.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by thankyougermany
It is quite useful if you're talking about playing Grand Theft Auto IV... which likes at least 1GB video memory.

Uh...what?

All 295 GTX's have 1.8 gigs of memory, so why the fuck did you feel the need to refresh that for us?
Page 1 of 2