I am purchasing a custom 5 watt all tube (Class A) amp. I am planning to use this with a 4x12 loaded with 75 watt celestion speakers.

The Ohms will match up so that is not an issue. However I am curious what I should expect using a low wattage amp with a high wattage cabinet. I know it will be harder to get the speakers to break up and this will give me more headroom.

Anyone have any experience with this type of setup?

Thanks in advance,
Anthony
- Anthony
PRS: PS P22, ME II 25th, SC HB I, Custom 22, McCarty 20th, SE Custom 24 7, Angulus SE
Fender Am Tele, Am Strat, 70 RI Strat, Esquire Scorpion
LTD: SC-607B

Amp
Avid 11R
Ya it will be harder to get speaker break up, but that is only a small part of headroom. With 5 watts it will be damn near impossible to get any volume without breaking up. So you will have basically 0 headroom. Other than that its exactly what you would expect.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
The amp will be a two channel amp where the gain channel will be brought in on top of the clean channel. I am not looking for a ton of headroom. I can get great clean tones from the Champion 600 that I have which I am planning on running into the stereo 4x12. So in that manner the cab would be treated as two 2x12 cabs.

I am just trying to make sure there would be enough output from the 5 watt amp to push the higher wattage speakers. I wouldn't be concerned if the cab had v30's.
- Anthony
PRS: PS P22, ME II 25th, SC HB I, Custom 22, McCarty 20th, SE Custom 24 7, Angulus SE
Fender Am Tele, Am Strat, 70 RI Strat, Esquire Scorpion
LTD: SC-607B

Amp
Avid 11R
Quote by ANTHONYLBEST
The amp will be a two channel amp where the gain channel will be brought in on top of the clean channel. I am not looking for a ton of headroom. I can get great clean tones from the Champion 600 that I have which I am planning on running into the stereo 4x12. So in that manner the cab would be treated as two 2x12 cabs.

I am just trying to make sure there would be enough output from the 5 watt amp to push the higher wattage speakers. I wouldn't be concerned if the cab had v30's.

Ya, it will be fine.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
the only real problem is that if you aren't careful you're kinda defeating the purpose of getting a low wattage head- it'll be a lot louder through a 4x12 than through a 1x12, kind of thing (especially if the 4x12 has efficient speakers, which they usually do). of course, if you want to make it louder, or don't care, then it'll be fine (though as you said, you'll get less speaker breakup).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've got an HT-5 (5 watt tube head) running into a Marshall 4x12. It isn't any louder than a 1x12 it just sounds a little different.

If you've already got a 4x12 then it's worth it to just stick the head on top of that. If you're going to be buying a cab I'd suggest just getting a good 1x12.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...