Like most people, I need to escape the area I'm in and I don't see any positive ways of getting out. If I were to join the military (reluctantly) I could get medical coverage, a place to stay, food, and the hell out of here. Although I know I'd pretty much hate it, seems like a small price to pay for the benefits and setup I would get in the end. If you guys were in my position, would you do it? And also, I'm diabetic, so I wouldn't be put of front line or anything stupid like that, I'd only get ****ed if I took a cab or some ****.
Quote by die_kenny_die
ate a girl out on her period...

i regret nothing.

I know how to shred paper, does that count?
Depends on what you are intending on doing in the military.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by bambamm89
Like most people, I need to escape the area I'm in and I don't see any positive ways of getting out. If I were to join the military (reluctantly) I could get medical coverage, a place to stay, food, and the hell out of here. Although I know I'd pretty much hate it, seems like a small price to pay for the benefits and setup I would get in the end. If you guys were in my position, would you do it? And also, I'm diabetic, so I wouldn't be put of front line or anything stupid like that, I'd only get ****ed if I took a cab or some ****.

They wouldn't like you much if you took a taxi
Depends, why are you stuck where you are? How long would you enlist? Have you actually looked into this our not?

NEED MOAR INFO
Quote by Don_Humpador
They wouldn't like you much if you took a taxi

He'd be ****ed because they aren't exactly as safe as armored tanks, duh.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
It sucks, don't do it.

I only got 3 years of work experience that I could gain nowhere else, free tuition, and $250,000.
Well, the thing is. I have no idea what I really want to do in life. I basically just need a career and the economy around here is complete ****. I'm sure soon I'm going to lose my job and I'd like to go back to school for something. Atleast if I went to the military, I could see my options from the ASVAB and go from there. But I in no way intend on making the military a career choice.
Quote by die_kenny_die

i regret nothing.

I'm thinking about doing the minimum either 2 years active or 4. I still haven't talked to a recruiter yet, because I'm still uncertain. And I'm stuck here because I have no money and my job just barely gets me by, and I've got medical bills out the ass . . . . damn diabetes. . . .
Quote by die_kenny_die

i regret nothing.

Quote by bambamm89
Well, the thing is. I have no idea what I really want to do in life. I basically just need a career and the economy around here is complete ****. I'm sure soon I'm going to lose my job and I'd like to go back to school for something. Atleast if I went to the military, I could see my options from the ASVAB and go from there. But I in no way intend on making the military a career choice.

Internships=Real work experience=Getting jobs that require work experience that no one else has.
Get a Bachelor's degree and get commissioned as an officer.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by thankyougermany
Get a Bachelor's degree and get commissioned as an officer.

ROTP=Free Bachelor's degree
Quote by Grindar

ROTP=Free Bachelor's degree

True, but one can earn a bachelor's degree then get commissioned any time after that.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
go for it. go in the navy or airforce because they have the least chance of getting killed. air force is good because u learn to fly, they pay u as u learn, and when u finish, u can make a great career as a commercial airline pilot. any money u get from the military u can use to go to college. actually, i think most branches pay for your college education, and pay u at the same time, depending on what you're doing. call up someone from any branch and ask questions, or email and whatever. just find out as much info as u can.
Save Gibson

^Do it, if you want Gibson to stop with the poor QC and terrible new guitars...
my father is a lt. col in the army.

if you were to join the military, i would suggest going to college and joining rotc. rotc will help you prepare for the military and give you monthly allowances. after the rotc, you will be able to be eligible as an officer in the army instead of an enlisted soldier.

taking this rotc-then-officer route will basically set you up for whatever interest you have : medicine, communications, etc. not to mention you can always quit the army and receive benefits for still serving in the army and then you can sign up for a government job that has excellent perks.

if you decide not to go to college, you can join as an enlisted soldier and try to take the (test, i think it is) to become an officer in the army, or simply rise the ranks.

---------

with all this said, however, i don't plan on joining the army because of the goal i'm trying to pursue. i hope i've helped in some way of influencing your decision.

good luck!
"take your form
be my fear, be my hope
be the indication
if i'm right or wrong

take your most dreadful form
and let it be known"
he provided assurance
Well if you think your gonna hate it why don't you join a world health organization and get the hell out of "here" that way. You can help others and meet new people.
UNLEASH THE FOCKING BURGERS
Quote by thankyougermany
True, but one can earn a bachelor's degree then get commissioned any time after that.

That's retarded.

The only real point in joining the military is to get free education.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Airforce? Then you'd have all that and learn to fly a jet.

You never know when you might have to be in an action movie.
Quote by MakinLattes
Audition. They have guitar players. They have bands that aren't just the stereotypical marching band. They play all genres. I think they are automatically promoted to E-5, which is higher than a bachelor's degree will get you, without going to officer candidate school.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Quote by Grindar
That's retarded.

What about the fun of getting to fire guns and kill people?
Quote by urbanfox
What about the fun of getting to fire guns and kill people?

It's not actually that fun.

I mean, training with grenades, tanks and rocket launchers is fun, but after those, everything else seems boring.
First off it doesn't sound like you've done much research into what you would like to do. Research various army jobs, decide whether you'd like to join as a squaddie or CO, after trolling the web for as much info as possible go and speak to a recruiter, and be wary of their bullshit because they will say anything to get you to sign.

Good luck. Hope you find a job that suits you.

One last thing, be optimistic but realistic about what you can do, if you're diabetic the chances that you're going to Miramar are non existent, if I were you I'd consider a role in the engineers. They give you experience in a hands on field and if you joined you could also get a college education, giving you massive career options later in life.
Quote by Grindar
That's retarded.

we get that already.

TS, don't get blown up and stuff.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
we get that already.

He meant an education in the finer points of killin'.
Quote by blackthought
He meant an education in the finer points of killin'.

We get that down the pub.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
we get that already.

There is a plus point to getting blown up. That being, there's a fair amount of research going into giving people have have been asploded robotic arms and sh*t, so you could, just possibly, wind up being Darth Vader.
IMO, that's a ****ty reason of joining up. My dad was in the military back in during the Gulf War, and he says it's utter bull ****. Not worth it. You can get that same basic setup you're looking for if you just move in with a friend you know that lives on the opposite side of the country and see if he/she could help you find a place to work. A lot better than making your life even more miserable.

That's just me. I'd never join in the military. I can't take people screaming their balls off at me. I never will.
The military doesn't always keep there promise. I seen a guy who has three types of cancer from chemicals used, and the Army refuses to give him money to help, so now he has to beg for food everyday.
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Silverburst Epiphone Les Paul Custom
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
do not join the only thing you will do is pay for failures in the oppressors foreign policy or protect the interests of oil companies but lately these are the same.
I am an anarcho-communist
I like the way you think...
Slacker write a fucking book

Have you ever listened to Dark Side of the Moon, on weed?
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Airforce? Then you'd have all that and learn to fly a jet.

he's diabetic. no way in hell they'd let him get near a jet.

you can't have any illnesses/diseases or anything that could impair your ability to fly.

if i were you TS and i hit rock bottom with no education and if i had diabetes i wouldn't have to fight then yea..sure i'd do it. (i'm not implying you hit rock bottom or anything, i'm just illustrating the criteria that would have to be met if i were to join)
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
If you don't want to get killed/kill people, the Coast Guard might be your best bet. Regardless, talk to your recruiter, but make sure to double-check all information and think everything over, since its their job to try and get you to join, especially since there's a bit of a shortage in soldiers with wars and whatnot.
kill all humans